downloaded mp4 videos wont play. wtfGeneral

1. clarkkent27

clarkkent27 Well-Known Member

Can anyone help please ? Im sick of this android already.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Nobby Sheep

Nobby Sheep Well-Known Member

UK sim free Note 2

mp4s work for me.

Both with click on file and opening from within stock video player.

The one shown is downloaded from the BBC.

Attached Files:

3. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Well-Known Member

Can you provide some more detail? what is the error message you're getting? are you using the stock player?
  4. Elantric

Elantric Well-Known Member

5. clarkkent27

Sorry guys just annoyed. Im an unlocked UK user. I click on the mp4 and the built in video player says sorry this video cannot be played
  6. DagMiller

DagMiller Well-Known Member

Try the MP4 files with MoboPlayer. If that can't play them then there's something up with the files.
  7. Nobby Sheep

Nobby Sheep Well-Known Member

Is the file in your designated "video" folder.

Try opening the player first then navigate to the file.

I've got a couple of .ts files that won't play when clicked, but are fine when opened from within the player.
  8. clarkkent27

Cheers guys will try both your suggestions and keep you updated.
  9. clarkkent27

Nope. Doesnt help at all. I think its a massive floor with jellybean because my S3 is the same.
  10. Lucidmike

Lucidmike Well-Known Member

It sounds like the audio for the MP4 is probably unsupported. Try Dice Player or VLC (Beta).
  11. animal47

animal47 Well-Known Member

Mine has played everything i have thrown at it, it even plays mkv files that i cant get my pc to play. I would suggest that there has to be something wrong with the file.
  12. clarkkent27

There cant be something wrong with Every file though. Its jellybean i think.
  13. BleedingPurist

BleedingPurist Well-Known Member

Well.. keep in mind that Android plays the most file types. If you'd like a good lesson in limited codec support then you can go to iPhone if you want something to be sick about.

The real question here is what and where did you get this particular mp4? Did you use Dice Player as suggested?
  14. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. The first question that comes to mind is where you got the mp4. And what devices have you been able to view the files.
  15. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

My Nexus is running jelly bean. I have multiple movies and boxing matches, and 40+ south park episodes, all in mp4 format, they play just fine. Jellybean is not the problem.
  16. clarkkent27

I can download movies and pics fine through chrome. Can't download anything from stock browser. Pissing me off it is.
  17. BleedingPurist

Why is this a problem? Most people would and should use Chrome. Just use Chrome. Set it as default if you haven't already. There is no advantage to using the stock browser. It's mostly there as a neutral browsing solution.

So now which is it? You can't play certain mp4s or you can't download them? You've already solved (or rather, figured out) the latter....

You can always go pick up an iPhone and see how much fun you have downloading through Safari.
  18. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Are you downloading movies with embedded DRM copy protection or movies that have had copy protection stripped off?

If so, maybe the problem isn't your player, it's where you're getting your media.

I suspect that this is the case because I keep seeing questions about where you are getting stuff, and "downloading" isn't an answer beyond what's implied. :cool:
  19. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

What makes you say most people would and should use Chrome?
    Best being a relative term, I prefer Dolphin.
  20. BleedingPurist

I'm thinking in terms of in place of the stock browser as a "stock" browser. It is Google's OS after all. I think they keep the stock browser so that there is a "neutral" browsing solution instead of pushing Chrome as a stock browser. It's like Windows... IE is the stock browser. Then you have Firefox, Chrome, & Safari as other choices you can download. Google just chooses a more neutral (and admirable) solution leaving it up to user choice.

Dolphin is my current go-to browser on my Droid 3 when I want the desktop version of a site.
  21. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

OK people, first and foremost? If you don't have anything constructive to add here, it's fine if you just move along. We want this to be a friendly approchable experience for all who come and participate. If you have issue with a particular post? Report it and let us know about it. Thank you all for your cooperation.

Personally, I'm a big fan of MXplayer It's played everything I've thrown at it. As mentioned, the file may be damaged from DRM removal or simply a bad download.
    EarlyMon likes this.