• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downloaded Music From Play Store - No Tags / Track Info?

N-C

May 17, 2011
Hi All

Purchased my first music download today from the store.
Also downloaded the music play app as prompted once I have purchased the music. I didn't realise it was geared so heavily towards googles own player???

Which brings me onto my question. Is music downloaded from google play only meant for the google music app?

I prefer to use Poweramp. I located the directory location for the music that I just purchased and added the directory to Poweramps list of music locations, but none of the files have actual track names instead they are just numbered i.e. 385.mp3, 386.mp3, 387.mp3 etc....... and there is no info / tags for the tracks so I don't know what the songs are until I play them. Very annoying.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

N-C

It's one of the annoyances that keeps me from doing much with Play Music other than picking up the occasional freebie. Using the Play Music app to download files to android devices using the 'keep on device' option pulls the music down as numbered files without any ID3 tags so that no other music players can see them (sneaky!).

The workaround I've used is to go to play.google.com and download the files to a PC. You're allowed up to 2 downloads from the web directly without installing the download manager. If you multi-select titles they are downloaded in a single zip organized by artist & album. It can get pretty big so don't pick too many at a time - 320 kbps files are close to 10MB each.

Those downloaded files have ID3 tags and reasonable file names (Track#-Title, but no artist name), so once they're on the PC move them to your device and they will be visible to all music players (including Play Music).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones