Downloaded OTA update but have not yet installed...General

Last Updated:

1. e2r

e2r Member This Topic's Starter

is there a way to get rid of the constant message telling me I have an update ready to be installed? Or delete this update I have downloaded in order to stay on 1.5 without the reminders?
    After downloading I stopped short of installing the update thinking maybe I should check forums and see if there are any probs. Sure enough, it looks like that's all there is.
    TIA

Advertisement
  2. pea

pea Active Member

if frisco updated, you can do it! frisco aint complaining.

3. e2r

Just hoping to stay on 1.5 a little bit longer. I'm concerned about the silent/missing calls prob. My son has a lot of dr. appts. coming up. I also bought this eris from a friend of a friend so I have no warranty.

4. Gato

Gato Well-Known Member

I grabbed the update using the URL capture that was discussed on this forum earlier. I cleared caches before I updated and have had ZERO of the issues being reported. I have the added features/functionality that 2.1 brings (notably Navigation) and do not notice any more lag from the update than I had before. I don't know what the secret is but apparently the user experience varies. I saw it discussed here somewhere that it might be possible to downgrade using the MR2 update with instructions on how to do that.

There's ALWAYS a danger that your experience will be bad with ANY upgrade. I'd still go for 2.1 and see how it works for you. You can always complain to Verizon and seek remedy there if for some reason the update screws you over. Either way I don't see a reason to be scared to update.

5. e2r

Well, the potential hardware issue with the silent/missing calls is what is causing my hesitation. Buying it second hand I see Verizon saying - tough luck, no warranty, should have bought it from us.

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Do you have problems with your phone now on 1.5?

7. e2r

No, just some occasional dropped calls & weak signal. Otherwise runs great. And now just the constant reminders that I have an update downloaded and ready to install in which I keep hitting "install later".

8. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Root your phone I don't have the audio bug. If you ever need to go back it can easily be done.

9. Gato

Gato Well-Known Member

I would think it to be incredibly short sighted of Verizon to not help a customer that loaded an OS upgrade pushed to them BY Verizon. No matter where the handset in question originated from. Verizon likes it better when you can actually make calls with your handset. If you can't you should complain. Ultimately I would think if you refused to pay your monthly bill due to not being able to actually USE your phone they would see things your way.

I could be wrong....

10. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

OTD asked you that because we've seen that good 1.5 behavior seems to add up to good 2.1 behavior.

I'd encourage you to do the OTA install, and following that with an immediate factory data reset to finalize and polish off the process.

The simple steps after the OTA is completely finished:

- Shut down your device.

- While holding down both the volume-down toggle and the send or "phone" button, press the power button.

- Wait a moment, and a screen will come up: read the print completely and follow directions, it'll walk you through the simple process.

11. namu1107

namu1107 Well-Known Member

I bought my eris about 4 days ago. I day after getting it I updated to 2.1 OTA. The only problem I have had yet is that I had to force close a couple random things. I've received all my calls and that and haven't had any other problems. It's worth it too.

12. e2r

Oh good. I was wondering if she meant - No! Keep 1.5, or that it should work ok in 2.1. I guess I'll give it a go. Plus I also just read in another thread about someone getting a phone purchased on craigslist replaced under HTC's 1 year warranty - forgot about that :)
    Thanks for the help everyone!

13. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Frisco is correct, that is what I was leading up to. Sorry I left that hanging like that, mod work is never done. :eek:

14. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

Go ahead and do the update, then do a factory reset, you'll be fine.