1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Downloading apps via PC?

1. Beaker491

Beaker491 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I'm gonna ask what is most probably a rather silly question :eek:, but i'm kinda new to android :)

Here goes: Is it possible to connect an android phone (to be specific, a galaxy s 2) via cable (eg a usb cable, be it mini or micro), to a pc and download apps off the market that way, thru the computer to the phone, rather than connecting the phone directly to wifi? Like an iPhone can with iTunes, can it do both?

Wifi isn't always available where i am, but i do have access to a computer which has internet, via a LAN cable and a router. (Which is probably wifi capable :confused:, but i've no idea how i'd go about setting that up :eek:)

(I posted this as a reply to a thread in the Samsung Galaxy S 2 forum, but realise now that i should have posted it here - apologies to the mods)

Thanks in advance, and i apologise for sounding a bit thick.

Ian :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. Some phones let you do this, most dont. I'm not sure about that phone.

However, you can use a program on your computer called Connectify-Me. This turns your computer's wifi into it's own wifi router, allowing you to connect your phone through that.
  3. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

I open the market on my pc, tell it to install an app and my phone does...over whatever is available - WiFi or 3g/4g.
  4. ambientdroid

ambientdroid Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he's trying to avoid mobile data charges.
  5. rosemark0206

rosemark0206 Well-Known Member

One for sure fire way is to setup the adb environment... just download and install it...

connect your phone to computer via usb and
    then open up a command prompt and type in adb install apkfilename.apk

Its for developers but its a quick way to install apk files without requiring internet...
  6. barqers

barqers Well-Known Member

I don't think you can download from the browser version of android market to your phone as an apk. So there's no way to hookup your phone and redirect the android market through your usb. But then I'm curious, wouldn't you need a wifi connection to access the android market on your laptop anyways? :S
  7. Beaker491

Thanks for the replys guys, but i'm actually using a desktop PC thats connected to a router via a LAN cable, no wifi is set up.

An example of my question - if i wanted to download a big app -or a game lets say - and on android market (using the pc to browse the market) the game description says "download over wifi - large file", with me not having wifi available, can i download the game to my pc and send it to the android phone via a usb cable?

I'm not trying to avoid data charges, just trying to work around not having wifi, if that makes sense?

Speaking of sense, do any HTC phones support downloading apps from a pc?

Thanks again

Ian
  8. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Most all Android phones can install from a pc or can have the apk put on the sdcard and installed from there in one way or another, but the problem is you can't download apps from the market to a PC.
    Beaker491 likes this.
  9. Have you looked into Connectify-Me?
  10. Beaker491

I have, but i'm still confused as too how this would help? The computer i'm using hasn't got wireless? Sorry for sounding thick

Ian