• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downloading Directly to the SD Card

I have a 16gb fully formatted SD card in my 16gb GS4

When I click on certain video clips on certain websites, I get prompted to choose whether to download or watch via stock video player. When I choose to download, the video clip is then downloaded and shows up in my gallery. However, when looking under 'My Files' it shows the video downloaded to the internal phone memory and not the SD Card!

When looking in 'My Files' I have the option of choosing the file type. I select 'All Files' and then I have the option of searching my SD Memory or my Device Storage

I click on SD Memory

Then when I click on menu --> settings, I can see 'Select directories' below

I am wondering if I need to change these directories to influence where the Media is saved to. For instance, clicking on 'Set Video Directory' allows me to then select between SD Memory Card or Device Storage. When I choose SD Memory Card I am them presented with different folders. I also have the option of creating a New Folder. If I create a New Folder, and choose 'Set Here' from the upper-right corner, will I be setting a path for my video clips to download directly to the SD Card?

Otherwise.. I end up downloading a clip, going into My Files and manually 'moving' the clip from Device Storage to the SD Card. I'd really like to eliminate this extra step as it is quite tedious.

Lemme know what you think

Ok I have officially tried setting a path for content to be saved to the SD card based on what I described above. Nothing has changed.

I click on a video on the internet, it pops up 'choose an action' and I select 'downloads' and sure enough the clip downloads, but to the device storage. I want it to download to the SD card directly.

WTF. Pretty sure every other phone I've used (including GS3) would download content straight to the SD card. SD card is in good condition. Was formatted. Has plenty of room left (14GBs). So what is the hold up?

Anybody else experiencing this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones