• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downloading... Do not turn off target!! boot loop

Hello, I will try to explain all that I can so we can get this resolved.

I have a rooted Galaxy Note 10.1, and due to wanting new features on it, I researched what to do to get the Marshmallow update on my tablet. I downloaded ClockWorkMod and installed it, so the restore page now pulls up to that. I followed the steps of the internet page on what to do, and the device went to restart and instead went to the "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!" page. I have seen this before, when installing the CWM with Odin on my PC. However, when I reboot, it always goes to this page. The strange thing is that the page on my tablet only shows the android picture and the text saying "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!", it does not say ODIN MODE in the top left corner or anything else. My computer recognizes it is connected in Odin when I plug it in.

I hope this makes sense. My Note 10.1 is the cellular data version, but I do not have mobile data on it- I only use wifi. Thanks for any help =)

Edit: Just as an added note, I can boot to recovery mode by holding power and volume up. I can only go to that page or the Downloading page.

Last edited:
How I usually get out of the situation your in is by re-flashing the boot.img file. The following instructions should help you:

1) Take the stock/updated firmware for your device
2) Extract boot.img
3) Google and install 7Zip if you haven't already
4) Once installed, take the boot.img file and compress it into a .TAR file
5) Name it whatever you want to, and wait for the compression to complete
6) Open Odin up and in the AP/PDA tab, select the .TAR file you just made to flash, remember the new .TAR file should only have the boot.img file in it, nothing else
7) Wait for Odin to give you a "PASS" message

After all that your device should be working again, let me know if my instructions where in any way confusing or if it did not work for you.

-Best of luck to you!

Reactions: buyingtime
Upvote 0
How I usually get out of the situation your in is by re-flashing the boot.img file. The following instructions should help you:

2) Extract boot.img
6) Open Odin up and in the AP/PDA tab, select the .TAR file you just made to flash, remember the new .TAR file should only have the boot.img file in it, nothing else

After all that your device should be working again, let me know if my instructions where in any way confusing or if it did not work for you.

-Best of luck to you!
Awesome! I think I understand all of what you said for the most part. I will try to get around to trying this tomorrow. Could you advise me as to where the stock firmware (First step) would be downloadable from? Is it from Samsung itself or from a mod type source? It doesn't matter to me but I guess I am not exactly sure where I would go for this without searching for awhile.

Thanks again

Reactions: KingOfTheNet
Upvote 0
Awesome! I think I understand all of what you said for the most part. I will try to get around to trying this tomorrow. Could you advise me as to where the stock firmware (First step) would be downloadable from? Is it from Samsung itself or from a mod type source? It doesn't matter to me but I guess I am not exactly sure where I would go for this without searching for awhile.

Thanks again
Stock firmware can be an iffy part in the whole process for some devices, some devices don't allow you to downgrade once your on an updated os. That shouldn't stop you though. While I mostly rip the firmware from devices or ota updates myself, I recommend Sammobile.com for downloading stock firmware. It has nearly every Samsung device ever put out on the market. I never looked into if Samsung themselves release the firmware or if developers rip it from devices, i've just been ripping it from the devices and the ota update files, so im not sure, but I would imagine the company themselves don't.

Upvote 0
Sweet, I found the correct download file. Thanks for leading me this far.

I'm waiting for it to finish the 1.5 GB download and then will do those steps. I think I figured out what I did wrong in the process, so I shall try again and hopefully get it upgraded to Marshmallow. I'll let you know if I get it fixed or if it's gonna be a cantankerous piece of crap :p @KingOfTheNet

Reactions: KingOfTheNet
Upvote 0

2) Extract boot.img

-Best of luck to you!
If anybody gets stuck in this like I did, then refer to this post. Such an easy fix and exactly as described in this comment. When I got the "Pass!" from Odin and my tablet rebooted I let out a huge "YESSS!!" and my family was like "What in the world is going on??" Relief, that's what it was.

Thanks partner! You're like my 2nd favorite person right now @KingOfTheNet

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
If anybody gets stuck in this like I did, then refer to this post. Such an easy fix and exactly as described in this comment. When I got the "Pass!" from Odin and my tablet rebooted I let out a huge "YESSS!!" and my family was like "What in the world is going on??" Relief, that's what it was.

Thanks partner! You're like my 2nd favorite person right now @KingOfTheNet
Glad I could help, Enjoy your phone. Cheers! :D

Upvote 0
Hello KingOfTheNet
Thank you for your instructions.
After playing around (fortunately with my old phone) and trying to flash a TWRP image file I got stuck at exactly that point.
Trying twice what you told us did not help; it worked, but the "Downloading ... Do not turn off target !!" screen went on again. I finally flashed the whole stock firmware and thanks to ODIN got back my phone with all the previous files and settings.
Just to let you know - everything's ok again!
best regards and thanks
iatros

Upvote 0
Hello KingOfTheNet
Thank you for your instructions.
After playing around (fortunately with my old phone) and trying to flash a TWRP image file I got stuck at exactly that point.
Trying twice what you told us did not help; it worked, but the "Downloading ... Do not turn off target !!" screen went on again. I finally flashed the whole stock firmware and thanks to ODIN got back my phone with all the previous files and settings.
Just to let you know - everything's ok again!
best regards and thanks
iatros
Different Actions have different side-effects. If your device has a locked bootloader or you flashed an incompatible image, your device simply wont let you boot into recovery mode until you flash a new image. Flash the wrong SYSTEM or BOOT image, your device won't let you boot into anything at all, and you'll have to flash the original firmware to get up and running again. Good to know you figured it out!

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones