• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!" keeps comingback

LBBO

Lurker
May 10, 2013
Hey all
First of all i'm sorry for my bad english, but i could really use some help!

I just got my samsung galaxy SIII 4G. Now it's stuck on the "downloading... do not turn off target!!"-screen and has been it for hours. I've both tried to pull out the battery, pressed volUP+home+power and press power-button. Nothing seems to help..
I've tried to search for treads like this, but found none where the screen kept coming back.

Did the device ever boot up? If not, which carrier do you have? It sounds like you might need to flash firmware through Odin/Download mode because it's missing something like the System or the Kernel. This is what the device is waiting for.

Yes i've used to phone for some days now. I've tried to root it by using Odin (i've done it successfully before). How do i flash firmware?

Upvote 0
Yes i've used to phone for some days now. I've tried to root it by using Odin (i've done it successfully before). How do i flash firmware?

In a very similar manner to how you would root the device using Odin, except you would flash a .tar file that contains the entire stock package of firmware (Stock OS, Stock kernel, stock recovery, stock bootloader, stock radio files). It's important to know which specific model the device is (I9300, I9305, etc) and which carrier because flashing the wrong firmware file could break it worse that it already is.

Upvote 0
In a very similar manner to how you would root the device using Odin, except you would flash a .tar file that contains the entire stock package of firmware (Stock OS, Stock kernel, stock recovery, stock bootloader, stock radio files). It's important to know which specific model the device is (I9300, I9305, etc) and which carrier because flashing the wrong firmware file could break it worse that it already is.

Where do I get this .tar file? The device is a 19305, but i'm not sure about what a carrier is

Upvote 0
Alright, do you happen to know if the device is locked onto that network or if it's sim unlocked? If it is sim unlocked, is it the general international model? If not the general international model, was it originally 3's variant that was sim unlocked?

All I know is that it is sim unlocked and i bought it through Telia. Dont think it is international model but not sure

Upvote 0
If you could attach a picture with a close up of the writing in Odin/Download mode, that might help me identify the necessary firmware better.

The screen looks like the left phone at this link:

androidayos-galaxy-note-download-mode-580x362.jpg

It had the same text in the left corner before, but after using vol+home+power and then volume down for restart it dissapeared

Upvote 0
Please help me also :( I've got the message and it says this way exactly:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-P6200
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL

What happens when you pull the battery, replace it and try to boot it up again normally? Does it go straight into Odin?

Edit: Since it's a tablet, you would do a simulated battery pull by holding the power button for like 20 seconds if I recall correctly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones