• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downloading google maps to avoid repeat downloading

I live in Los Angeles and operate my moving service locally only. I give customers quotes and use maps religiously. Since I only offer service in my area, is there a way that I can download "Los Angeles County" maps so that it doesn't need to download each time that I open the google maps app?

I'd rather use up some of the 32gb space that I don't use for anything.

Thanks for your help

Yes...there is a feature called offline maps.... open maps....long press the center of the area you want to save... tap the red pin bubble that appears by long pressing....expand the detail window for this area...under street view image is a "save map to use offline" tap itn....now zoom in and out until you get your desired range of sight and tap save....thats it!!

Attachments

• 1405283208548.jpg
    1405283208548.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
I live in Los Angeles and operate my moving service locally only. I give customers quotes and use maps religiously. Since I only offer service in my area, is there a way that I can download "Los Angeles County" maps so that it doesn't need to download each time that I open the google maps app?

I'd rather use up some of the 32gb space that I don't use for anything.

Thanks for your help

Well I'm using the old Maps 6.14.3, but there may be a similar option on the newer Maps that you are using.

In the Map settings I have an option called auto cache while charging or using mobile or Wi-fi networks, which saves each part of the map you view to your phone's memory in a "cache" so that it will load instantly next time.

If you can find a similar option in your Map settings then I think that would be useful for you as over time your Maps will gradually cache most of the routes that you travel along in LA.

Upvote 0
Well I'm using the old Maps 6.14.3, but there may be a similar option on the newer Maps that you are using.

In the Map settings I have an option called auto cache while charging or using mobile or Wi-fi networks, which saves each part of the map you view to your phone's memory in a "cache" so that it will load instantly next time.

If you can find a similar option in your Map settings then I think that would be useful for you as over time your Maps will gradually cache most of the routes that you travel along in LA.

Saved/Cached Maps will only stay on your device for 30 days too, so keep that in mind.

Upvote 0
Saved/Cached Maps will only stay on your device for 30 days too, so keep that in mind.

Are you talking about the new version? I am using the old version and I don't think I've had the problem before, but I noticed I had to re - download the offline area if I reinstalled the old Maps after trying the new Maps.

Maybe I should try to check after 30 days and if that's the case then I will just backup the cache to SD Card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones