Downloads dont work on 3g, only HSDPA

Last Updated:

1. ooberandy

ooberandy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm on the Orange network and am having problems with the 3G network.

Various apps (Facebook, Market, Head to Head & Internet Browser) will only download data when there is a connection to the HSDPA signal.

The 3G signal has shown as 3 or 4 bars but will consistently not download any data. Once the HSDPA signal is found, then the download starts. This can be frustrating as there isnt always a HSDPA signal :(

I am rooted to villain 5.4, but also had this problem with the stock Orange ROM

Advertisement
  2. SammyC

SammyC Active Member

I get the same behaviour on Three with Villain 5.4 but I also think I got the same problem with the stock ROM. Note this was the generic ROM and not the Three ROM.

3. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Take a look through the t-mobile.co.uk support forums. Been PLENTY of talk about this and a number of T-Mobile customers (myself included) have had exchanges from the G2/Hero to the Desire due to the 3G issues. No-one still really sure if it's T-Mobile, the handset or a combination of the two but I have heard people complain about it on both Orange and Three as well, so I think it's a G2/Hero problem.

4. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm currently trying to get a replacement from T-Mo myself, so far I've been refused one, even though others have had them sent out.
    I've also had 2 posts discussing conversations with T-Mo customer services removed from their forum today :mad:.
    Although, I have just managed to find the chief exec's new email address, as the old one was redirected to CS because he was sick of receiving complaints, presumably. I have just sent him an email regarding the matter. Just need to wait and see if that removes some thumbs from unspeakable places over at T-Mo CS :D.

5. ooberandy

So you actually had your handset replaced with a desire :eek:

did you have to pay extra or just a straight swap? i'd love a desire :D

6. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Free non like-for-like replacement of a G2/Hero to a Desire. Didn't have to pay anything, no extension on contract, no increase on contract plan (Combi 25) and didn't even have to send the G2/Hero back (though they did blacklist it).

7. Fozzy

Fozzy Active Member

Having the same problem with my Orange Hero. Spent a good couple hours on the phone to customer support today to try to arrange a transfer. They are being very tight fisted on it.

Went through the following with them:

APN Settings Reset. (Changed nothing)
    Sim Card Update. (Changed nothing)
    Tried the sim in a different phone. (The 3g connection was fine on the other phone)
    Tried a different sim in the phone. (Made no difference, still no 3g download)

Before they can allow an exchange I've been told I need to go down to my local orange shop to try another sim and try my sim in another phone.

So it's a bit of a farse. Hopefully it will be worth it and they'll exchange the phone. Fingers crossed.

8. ooberandy

Is your phone rooted? If so, did you have to change it back to the original ROM to carry out these tests?

Mines rooted, so was just wondering if i need to do the same. Think its worth a shout to try and get a desire

9. Fozzy

Fozzy Active Member

Nah no root, still on the stock ROM. They didn't ask what ROM I was using when I was speaking to them though.

Bit of an update. Have been down to the orange shop today and tried my sim in a different phone, and a different sim in my hero. Made no difference and my sim worked fine in the other phone.

So now just waiting for a call from Orange at 4pm. I'll post another update when I get the call through.

10. Fozzy

Fozzy Active Member

So after an antagonising hour on the phone with Orange's technical support, I've been told I need to update my phone to the latest official ROM. Which I know will do nothing.

Also, during this phone call, the Orange Rep tried to convince me that; when my phone was displaying the 3G logo, I shouldn't necessarily be able to use data (Which is utter crap). I'm in a city with a good signal, I know about the different technologies they use and what the displayed logos mean on the phone.

So yeah, I'll be taking another phone call tomorrow after I've done the update.

Will again let you know tomorrow with any progress.

11. ooberandy

thanks for the updates. and looking forward to your next post, which will hopefully have some good news in :)

12. Fozzy

Fozzy Active Member

Just as a quick note, I couldn't sleep so decided to do the latest ROM upgrade available on the HTC Website as suggested by the Orange Rep. Made no difference to the 3G connectivity. Still no download when the phone is showing the 3G icon.

Now I need to get back to bed, into Uni. for an exam in the morning. I'll let you know about the conversation when the bloke calls me tomorrow.

13. SammyC

SammyC Active Member

I bet they insist you do the sim swap again. Barstools

14. ooberandy

Hopefully your being a trailblazer for me & i wont have to go through all this tosh :p

15. Fozzy

Fozzy Active Member

Right so just got off the phone with the same Orange Rep as yesterday, informed him about the ROM update making no difference. He pretty much said that there's nothing more he can do about it.

So my case is finally being passed up to the top level of technicians. So it's a bit of a good result. They're going to review the case notes that the lower rep's have passed on; then get back to me in 24-48 hours times.

---

I'm very glad I study computing and know about the technologies involved. The lower level reps tried to throw out lots of words that I don't think they understand. Trying to tell me that UMTS (Standard 3G) has nothing to do with data. They also tried to convince me that when the 3G icon is showing, either the GPRS, EDGE or HSDPA icon should also be showing.

I really wish they would assign people with the right knowledge to specific cases like this. There should be a good knowledge of Android at Orange since they're building up a good range of devices now.

Ah well, hopefully when the technician gets back to me I'll get some real answers.

Until then it might be worth it if you were to start the process of talking to them ooberandy. Maybe with multiple people on their case about the fault it'll be sorted swiftly.

16. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Its a fault with there 3g networks, they have even acknowledged this officially. I don't know why their CS would think it's anything to do with the phone...

Everyone I know on orange has the same issue over 3g, plus a multitude of people on twitter.

They better get it sorted soon, or at least acknowledge via cs that it's their problem not ours

17. ooberandy

The same problem has been mentioned on t mobile. So I thought there would be an issue with the hero?

18. Fozzy

Fozzy Active Member

I don't think it is. I had a Nokia E63 on orange before I got my Hero. It only has UTMS 3G as maximum hardware and it worked fine. Then I got my Hero and since then, no 3G download, but GPRS, EDGe and HSDPA work fine.

I doubt it would be a be exactly the day I upgrade their network faults and 4 months down the line no fix?

19. ooberandy

If it is the network, is there any way we could claim breach of contract as theres no way of our phones accessing the 3G? i know it sounds daft, but any way to get an upgrade to the desire would be good ;)

20. Fozzy

Fozzy Active Member

I guess there might be a claim for the money we pay for mobile data. But if it was the network, not the phone, they wouldn't upgrade. Plus an upgrade wouldn't fix the internet problem in that scenario.

21. kirangopal

kirangopal Active Member

Iv been having the same problem recently. Spoke to Orange a few days ago and they told me that one of their 3G masts are not "functioning" properly so people have been experiencing mobile internet issues. I complained and asked for compensation by way of a reduction in my bill and was told very politely "if the problem persists and continues to cause a disruption to you then this MIGHT be considered"!!!

22. Vulpes

Vulpes Member

Yep, same problem here, and getting rather annoyed with the drop in signal strength as soon as a number is dialed or the internet accessed. It might be due to power useage?

23. jimbobmcginty

jimbobmcginty Well-Known Member

It is down to power control, but perhaps not as you expect.

UMTS (3G) has a feature called "cell breathing" which means that the usable radius around a transmitter (related to the power it outputs) can change depending on the traffic volume. Higher traffic = lower power/smaller cell.
    It should only be noticeable (i.e. signal goes too low - you drop off the network completely) if you're at the edge of the service area when the breathing occurs.
    If the signal is above the minimum, then you 'should' be able to have normal service at some bitrate, but your maximum data transmission rate is governed by the power level. If your local power level is low, you will get less available bitrate than if you receive a high power level. This is different to GSM where signal strength is not such a factor.

So it's annoying, but that's UMTS.

24. Tydirium

Tydirium Member

I say its a fault with the 3g network. I'm on Orange and get the same issues. I travel all over the country and there have been areas where I've been using a 3g data signal quite successfully. It's rare but it does happen.

25. Caspa

Caspa Well-Known Member

Just to put my 2 pence in...

This seems to be a combination of issues... I'm on Orange and had the Hero and now have the Desire and the problem exists on both (sorry to burst anyones replacement Desire bubble!)... But obviously from reports it shows that it isnt isolated to the network either...

Sometimes 3G works but more often than not it doesnt, HSDPA works great though...

Annoying? - Yes, very!