• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downside to purchasing through Wirefly?

If i open a 2 year contract with 3 Evo's on the 4th, will it be able to process in time and have the phones on my door on the 5th?
We will begin shipping on the 4th, and if Sprint has no issues with your application for new service, it will ship that day. Please note that depending on your credit history, Sprint might ask for a deposit before shipping a new account with 3 lines (check your email throughout the day, and we can still get it out the door if a deposit is required).

We cannot guarantee Saturday delivery, but some orders will be delivered on Saturday, depending on where you live. If you choose Next Business Day service, your EVOs will be shipped via FedEx Next Day Air for Monday delivery. However, if you live within 1 day of our Maryland distribution center and select Standard shipping, then our FedEx software will choose FedEx Home Delivery service, which does deliver on Saturdays. Again, this is not guaranteed, but the 1-day delivery range includes most of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina.

Upvote 0
We will begin shipping on the 4th, and if Sprint has no issues with your application for new service, it will ship that day. Please note that depending on your credit history, Sprint might ask for a deposit before shipping a new account with 3 lines (check your email throughout the day, and we can still get it out the door if a deposit is required).

We cannot guarantee Saturday delivery, but some orders will be delivered on Saturday, depending on where you live. If you choose Next Business Day service, your EVOs will be shipped via FedEx Next Day Air for Monday delivery. However, if you live within 1 day of our Maryland distribution center, then our FedEx software will choose FedEx Home Delivery service, which does deliver on Saturdays. Again, this is not guaranteed, but the 1-day delivery range includes most of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina.
I'm in Maryland, can I come pick it up? just kidding, well sorta lol

Upvote 0
I'm in Maryland, can I come pick it up? just kidding, well sorta lol
Sorry we are online-exclusive. No retail location for pickup.

will Wirefly be selling the EVO 4G out of contract? and at what price?
The EVO will be available without a service plan. All I can say about pricing is to check back at wirefly.com on June 4.

Reactions: tracerit
Upvote 0
I honestly can't imagine paying $500 or whatever for a phone these days.

the way i see it, i'ts $450-$200 from my current phone which equals $250 still which is quite a bit. but in the grand scheme of things, i don't want to wait a whole two years to switch phones.

here's hoping the phone will be $450 w/o contract and no tax! :)

Upvote 0
Can I upgrade only one phone in my family plan online to HTC evo and get the $50 cash back from bing?..and if not can you do it over the phone and still keep the $50 cash back?

+1 on this question. Would like to know the answer too. It seems very stupid/inconvenient to not allow customers to upgrade one line of a family plan online. When you go to the website, it is confusing if you have a family plan and want to upgrade one line. If you don't read the "call To Upgrade 1 Line Of A Family Plan, Please Click ORDER BY PHONE," you could easily mistake your order and think that you're upgrading your one line when you're really adding a DIFFERENT, NEW plan with a bunch of rates that you might not want.

I saw on another thread that someone emailed and said it's not possible to get the BING cashback on the phone, and it is not possible to upgrade one line of a family without using the phone. My question to the wirefly customer service people here: can you give me a similar cashback over the phone with managerial discretion, if I am looking to upgrade one line of a family plan?

On a side note, hypothetically, if I were just upgrading my sole non-family line, it still seems confusing because upgrading requires me to add a service plan to the cart. What if I don't want to use any of those service plans because I am getting a better offer through my carrier directly? Do I have to choose this new and different (although called an "upgrade") plan?

Why can't the upgrade option be: don't touch my current plan, just give me the upgrade phone price after checking my that I am indeed eligible for upgrade?

Although I've never ordered from wirefly, I can almost see why there are so many bad reviews. Looks easy to get screwed with these ambiguities.

Upvote 0
These are great questions.

Can I upgrade only one phone in my family plan online to HTC evo and get the $50 cash back from bing?..and if not can you do it over the phone and still keep the $50 cash back?
To get Bing Cashback, your session must start at Bing.com and you must complete the order online. This is a Microsoft requirement. We have recently added the ability to upgrade an individual family plan add-a-line online. To upgrade just a single add-a-line on a family plan, go to the EVO page (after midnight tonight), click RENEW/UPGRADE MY CONTRACT, then click SEE ALL PLANS. You'll be able to choose the Sprint Family Add-a-Line option for the EVO.

what are the restrictions for the $50 Bing Cashback? does it only apply to new lines and renewals? Or will it apply to without service contract pricing also?
Phones purchased without a service plan contract are eligible for the $50 Bing Cashback.

I saw on another thread that someone emailed and said it's not possible to get the BING cashback on the phone, and it is not possible to upgrade one line of a family without using the phone.
That WAS true until recently. We just introduced the fix above to accommodate add-a-line upgrades. For now, you still must order by phone if you are upgrading only the primary line of a family plan.

My question to the wirefly customer service people here: can you give me a similar cashback over the phone with managerial discretion, if I am looking to upgrade one line of a family plan?
We would LOVE to be able to grant Bing Cashback at a manager's discretion; but we don't have that ability. Bing Cashback comes from Microsoft -- not from Wirefly -- and they have a strict requirement that the order must be completed in an online session that begins at Bing.com.

On a side note, hypothetically, if I were just upgrading my sole non-family line, it still seems confusing because upgrading requires me to add a service plan to the cart. What if I don't want to use any of those service plans because I am getting a better offer through my carrier directly? Do I have to choose this new and different (although called an "upgrade") plan?

Why can't the upgrade option be: don't touch my current plan, just give me the upgrade phone price after checking my that I am indeed eligible for upgrade?
These are excellent questions. We are working on a new "keep my plan" option that works as you described, but it's not quite that simple (which is why it's not ready for prime time yet). Depending on the phone you select, Sprint (and the other carriers) may not allow us to activate it on certain older plans. The EVO is a good example. There are new data plans just for 4G phones, and they will be required.

Reactions: chaofun
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses Wirefly_Scott.

Just want to clarify for my situation and others like me: if I want to upgrade an existing line as part of a family plan, I must call Wirefly to place an order and there is no way to get that extra $50 off?

We have recently added the ability to upgrade an individual family plan add-a-line online. To upgrade just a single add-a-line on a family plan, go to the EVO page (after midnight tonight), click RENEW/UPGRADE MY CONTRACT, then click SEE ALL PLANS. You'll be able to choose the Sprint Family Add-a-Line option for the EVO.

Not sure what the add a line upgrade means - either it's upgrading an additional line that I already have or it's ADDING a new line.

I don't want to add any more lines. Incidentally, the line I want to upgrade is the primary line, but I know that I can change it to non-primary (by making one of the other family lines the primary with Sprint). Does that not make a difference, i.e. is it possible to upgrade an existing, non-primary line as part of a family plan? And if it is possible to upgrade a non-primary, existing, family line online, what is that $19.99 charge per month? Is that an additional charge to what I'm already being charged, regardless of the plan I already have?

Upvote 0
I will be signing up for a family plan with 3 lines. Is the bing cashback good for all threee lines or is it just the primary line?
Bing cashback applies for up to 5 lines per order. So your 3-line family plan will net you $150 Bing Cashback.

Note: We still have a promotional display issue on line 2 (the line of promotional copy doesn't display on line 2), but don't worry, it's $50 per phone from Bing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses Wirefly_Scott.

Just want to clarify for my situation and others like me: if I want to upgrade an existing line as part of a family plan, I must call Wirefly to place an order and there is no way to get that extra $50 off?

Not sure what the add a line upgrade means - either it's upgrading an additional line that I already have or it's ADDING a new line.

I don't want to add any more lines. Incidentally, the line I want to upgrade is the primary line, but I know that I can change it to non-primary (by making one of the other family lines the primary with Sprint). Does that not make a difference, i.e. is it possible to upgrade an existing, non-primary line as part of a family plan? And if it is possible to upgrade a non-primary, existing, family line online, what is that $19.99 charge per month? Is that an additional charge to what I'm already being charged, regardless of the plan I already have?
Yes. It is possible to upgrade an existing, non-primary line as part of your family plan.

Those non-primary lines are referred to by the carriers as add-a-lines, with corresponding add-a-line plans that are $9.99 or $19.99/month in addition to the base monthly charge on your family plan. You are NOT adding an additional line or plan to the plan you already have.

If you want to switch lines with Sprint in terms of which is primary and which is not, please do so before you order from Wirefly. If you do it after, then Sprint will report it to us as a deactivation.

Thanks Chaofun, this is good feedback that I will pass on to the product managers as it relates to confusing language.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Wirefly, asking them about my situation. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Wirefly_Scott:

I want to upgrade my primary line that is already part of a family plan, I don't want pay more per month (other than that $10 richer experience thing Sprint makes us pay for the EVO), and I want to get the $50 BING cashback.

The wirefly website says to call "To Upgrade 1 Line Of A Family Plan," but I need to place the order online to get my $50 cashback. So Sarita from wirelfy told me on the phone to do it this way: just select upgrade on an individual phone and choose ED 450 plan. She says then to call back customer service later to get it fixed to my actual family plan and apply to my primary line. This way I can order online to get the cashback, and Sarita assures me that I won't pay more per month once they fix the-already-placed-online-order through their system.

Upvote 0
just to clarify, that mean i can upgrade an excisting non-primary line of a family plan online and get the $50 cash back..
Yes.

Wirefly, I actuallt just tried to upgrade one phone in a family plan and it did not work, the only way was to actually add a new line to my existing family plan...but i don't want to do that..any advise
Choose your phone. Click RENEW/UPGRADE MY CONTRACT. Then click SEE ALL PLANS and choose the Family Plan Add-on Line Upgrade. This is not an additional line of service. After you add to cart, you'll be asked for the phone number and Sprint PIN for the line you are upgrading.

Please note that some Sprint smartphones are $19.99/mo. as part of a family plan (as opposed to the $9.99/mo. for plain jane phones). If you are upgrading to certain Sprint smartphones, you will only have the $19.99 option. This is not an additional line of service, but it may be more than you're paying per month today.

I want to upgrade my primary line that is already part of a family plan, I don't want pay more per month (other than that $10 richer experience thing Sprint makes us pay for the EVO), and I want to get the $50 BING cashback.

The wirefly website says to call "To Upgrade 1 Line Of A Family Plan," but I need to place the order online to get my $50 cashback. So Sarita from wirelfy told me on the phone to do it this way: just select upgrade on an individual phone and choose ED 450 plan. She says then to call back customer service later to get it fixed to my actual family plan and apply to my primary line. This way I can order online to get the cashback, and Sarita assures me that I won't pay more per month once they fix the-already-placed-online-order through their system.
OK I wasn't going to go there, but if you don't mind the added hassle, then there is a better way to go about this and still have it be an online order for Microsoft's purposes. Order the add-a-line plan, i.e., for non-primary lines, as described above. When we run it through Sprint Friday morning, it will come back as the primary line, and our Credit & Activations team will call you immediately to explain, and to select the appropriate plan :). When you order, make sure you use a daytime phone number where you can be reached.

Upvote 0
Wirefly Scott: I appreciate your help, but I think you still miss the point. You only pay 9.99/19.99 for adding a line to your existing family plan..that is not what i want to do..i just want to upgrade a phone on an exsisting line in a family plan, you are not suppose to pay any extra money per month by doing that, you only pay for the phone and the activation fee if any.The idea that you are discriping is when you want to add a line to an exsisting family plan..it is a completely different story.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones