Downside to Rooting?

Last Updated:

1. Gabe.J

Gabe.J Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, just got my cliq and i am in love with it ( first android phone )
    But my question is.... Is it worth it to root the phone?, and if you could give some pros/cons that would be great!

would it be better to root the phone, install os 2.1 or w.e or just wait for the update later this summer?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. titcliq

titcliq New Member

Gabe, I have tried rooted the Cliq and flashed the Eclair2Cliq rom, it is good. There are some apps that you can run to change the look at feel of your Cliq. I would just wait for the update as there are things that are still not worked out in that ROM I am using. The update is only a few days away (we hope anyway!).

3. rok0187

rok0187 Active Member

only good thing about rooting is free apps but besides that i see no point ON THE CLIQany othe rphone go 4 it

4. NewAndroidUser

NewAndroidUser Active Member

I rooted my GF's Cliq & it wasn't even worth my time to do it. There are no real ROMs for it & no kind of support. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

I rooted my Moment however & it is now that THANG!!! Like the previous poster said, root (or get) something else.

5. TopShelf10

TopShelf10 Well-Known Member

this is so incorrect. first of all you dont need root access for free apps.rooting has evolved to the point where there are no downsides to it. it can only enhance your android experience. nowadays, even if you "brick" your phone, you can unbrick it with two clicks in RSD Lite (ive bricked 3 times through plain carelessness)

Rooting allows for:

Tethering
    Themeing
    Fonts (ALL fonts)
    future apps2sd
    Overclocking/underclocking
    Increased performance (NOTICEABLE increase)
    Remove pre-installed apps
    Rooted apps on android market

Being rooted is so much more valuable then running 2.1, so that shouldnt affect your decision. but there is a 2.1 ROM for the cliq, but its not stable enough for everyday use yet. even when the official 2.1 OTA is released, it will only be a matter of days befor ethe devs release a kick ass 2.1 ROM. root your phone, trust me, it will only help you.

6. TopShelf10

TopShelf10 Well-Known Member

www.modmymoto.com

plenty of ROMs, plenty of support.....theres a whole forum devoted to Cliq modding and development, and it has traffic and activity all day everyday, check it out

(and no, i dont work for the forum, so im not advertising)