Downsides to rooting Magic?

Last Updated:

1. dgriffiths

dgriffiths Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

I live and use my HTC Magic in Australia on Vodafone. I'm considering rooting it so I can get Android 2.0 or 2.1. I've read though that doing this stops me from being able to use the GPS and a couple other things. Is this true? If so, what other downsides are there to rooting the Magic? And is there a way to get the best of both worlds? Maybe I can get an app that gives me GPS back?

All responses welcomed!

Advertisement
  2. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

The problems you quote, such as loss of GPS differ between different ROMS and are not inherent problems with rooting.

I run cyanogenmod on my magic, which is basically android 1.6 with various bits of 2.x added on, and all my hardware works perfectly.

Until an official 2.x ROM is released for the Magic or a similar device you are quite likely to run into hardware problems if you install a 2.x based ROM.

The only big problem with rooting is that if you do it wrong there is a chance that you could brick your phone and turn it into an expensive paperweight.

3. dgriffiths

Ahhh I see, thanks for the tips!

So can cyanogenmod be installed without rooting? I'll have to look into that.

4. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

You must root your phone to apply custom ROMs, so no you can't install cyanogenmod without rooting.

There are loads of ROMs out there, you'll have to decide which features you want to have and which features you can live without.

The best place I have found for info on the different ROMs is the Magic board on xda-developers.com

5. dgriffiths

Ta for the advice. :) *heads over to xda-developers.com*