downsides to rooting the x10?

Last Updated:

1. ray1510

ray1510 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Are there any downside to rooting the x10, I'm new to all this rooting thing and it sounds like its a good thing but I'm just a bit worried, will I still be able to update to all the new software etc, is there anything on the phone that stops working?, will I lose all my apps etc,
    My software version is something like r2b... 24
    Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

When I did it, it factory reset the phone, which did lose the apps etc but, fortunately I'd back it all up first anyway with My Back Up Pro and then restored afterwards.

If you're on 024 then you have the highest build firmware I believe. Rooting will put it at 023. Which is a good thing for me as the highest I could have was 020.

You won't lose anything, or nothing will stop working. You can however remove built in apps, such as Moxier (which ive done), playnow, trackid. Anything you don't want! So I've removed Moxier and the SE back up and restore feature. Maybe a couple other things I didnt want. Because of the build number you're on, id say, only root if you want to get rid of Moxier and other crap from the phone.

3. ray1510

Ok thanks so if I did root my phone and deleted a load of things and decided I wanted to go back to the original setup could I reverse everything back to how it was, also would rooting boost performance i.e speed and battery?
    Thanks

4. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

If you wanted to go back to unrooted, you'd just run step 1 again which would put a fresh install of 016 firmware on there :).

If you remove the apps you dont use, like Moxier, which open automatically it can improve the performance of the phone yeah. I dont think the battery would improve much but, only because you have the latest firmware already. If you were on 014/016 then you would see an improvement.

5. ray1510

Ok thanks for your help ill be rooting my phone tonight then! :)

6. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

No problem, let us know how you get on :).

And a quick tip (cuz im nice :p), if when you get to step2, it says it cant find the device, try a different usb port. I had this problem and switching ports helped and I've been helping someone root today and they had the same problem.

7. Dbnguy

Dbnguy Well-Known Member

And that person bexy was helping was MEEEEE :) And yea, phone is now rooted No problem.

Just my 5 c worth, before you run the cleanup cmd to remove apps, be sure you edit the cmd to remove only the apps you dont want. I didnt and had to re-root. But thanks to Bexy, Im now a pro rooter :)

As for downsides to rooting, ONLY the fact that you might delete apps you actually want, so be carefull. Apart from that - GO FOR IT :)

Bexy likes this.
  8. ray1510

Ok thanks for all the help, just one more question, how do I update to latest software when rooted is it the same as I've bin doing like go to about phone then update? Or do I have to do it on pc ?

9. Dbnguy

Dbnguy Well-Known Member

Allow me: (See Bex has trained me well;-p)

To update you would have to run step one again. This would revert the phone back to normal. Apply the update and then you would have to re-root again.

Bexy likes this.
  10. wynney666

wynney666 Well-Known Member

While we are on it, i have yet to root and had been puttin off,
    but moxier etc is annoying me now..
    so when 2.1 comes out in Q3(ish)
    to update i wud run step one, update to 2.1 then re-root.
    or can 2.1 be updated via air when rooted. once its out ofcourse...

11. Dbnguy

Dbnguy Well-Known Member

To the bestof my limited knowledge, no it cant be updated once rooted. You would have to revert to a non-rooted phone by running step 1 again. Apply the Q3 update, then re-root.

Hopefully though, the Q3 update will still allow the phone to root, cant see why it shouldnt tho...

12. TheManWithAPlan

TheManWithAPlan Well-Known Member

Whenever there is a good update, developers at xda, make a root for that firmware. at the moment they are going through the process of completely rooting it so its possible that we might get 2.1 even before sony gives it us. also 2.2 in the future which sony might not even give us!!

For the heads up you don't really need to use cleanup file to remove the apps for this rooted version. just download an app called titanium backup, much easier.
    *tips* be careful what you remove whether you have an alternative app or not..
    Timescape would lead to errors when viewing contact details.. people have used alternatives for viewing contacts such as acontacts, takephone, etc..
    Mediascape causes problems when you want to change wallpapers, although background changing apps should work!
    I had chompsms but when I got rid of the stock messaging app I had problems receiving texts from people!
    I used kaloer clock instead of alarm clock.. worked fine! although used to get the odd errors here and there.. Minor!
    got rid of the stock email app seen as I never used it.. no problems!
    Avoid getting rid of google stuff.. there's usually some odd connection to some other app, forexample when I removed gtalk service my market stopped working!

anyhu sorry for the essay lol jus wanted to clear some stuff up!
    btw titanium backup doesn't really backup the stock apps so don't get fooled into it.. backs up every other apps you instal though and useful for backing up settings for apps an all. Ps.. does not back up messages/contacts!!

Hope it helps!!
    if you've got a question il try help ya!!

niles likes this.