drag and drop video

Last Updated:

1. ls1ssws6

ls1ssws6 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have seen posts on using handbreak to convert to the correct file size and such but i was trying to just drag and drop avi files to the evo but they dont seem to be showing up once i disconnect from the pc. Is there a way to just drag and drop movies onto the evo or do i have to convert each one i want to put on the phone?

I am converting a avi right now through handbreak but it is taking forever! With my moment i could drag and drop i figured with this phone i could do the same but i guess not :confused:

Before i have to take the train to work i like to just throw a movie on the phone and watch it but it doesnt seem like ill be able to do this with the evo cause ill have to convert them all and that will take too long....

can anyone point me in the right direction?

Advertisement
  2. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Just depends what codec your movie uses. If the phone has the ability to decode it then you can just drag it over. If it cannot be decoded, you need to transcode the video first which is what is taking a while on doubletwist. Video encoding is a very cpu-intensive task and the more cores and speed you have, the less time it will take.

3. reiththestud

reiththestud Well-Known Member

Evo won't play AVI's. The best thing in your case I guess would be to setup a que of 5 or 6 videos every night before you go to bed and by the time you get up for work in the morning a couple will be done.
    You also might be able to speed up handbrake by going to options, telling it to use more cores(if you have more) and setting the "Priority" level to Realtime. This will make your computer work in overdrive to encode your videos.
    Also, encoding in MPEG4 takes less time tha H.264 because the algorithms aren't as complex, but it doesn't look quite as good.

4. ls1ssws6

BOOOO im about to return my evo and keep the moment........hahah yea right.. i guess i can just switch everything to MPEG4 files right when i download movies and just delete the avi files cause vlc can play either or so that should help out...thanks for the fast replies

5. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

AVI is just a container file. The video can be encoded with an mpeg-4 codec but AVI as a container is outdated and doesn't support a lot of the features of those newer codecs. As such, less devices can play them now and you will see less of them overall as people move to more modern containers like mkv and mp4.

6. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

Do you guys know if mp4 video using the handbrake apple universal preset will play on the evo or does it have to use the iphone preset?

7. ls1ssws6

there is a walk-through I followed that said use the Apple preset when I used it the movie came out perfectly and I set my own. preset called evo...