Drain the battery?General

Last Updated:

1. sparkymcgee

sparkymcgee New Member This Topic's Starter

This has probably already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything. Do we need to periodically drain the battery completely to maintain it, or is it alright to charge it every chance I get?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. vide infra

vide infra Well-Known Member

there are people arguing both sides of this. i'm not sure who to believe.

3. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Its fine to charge it whenever you want, however you do want to periodically charge it down and cycle it to make sure the battery meter is properly calibrated. The less you cycle it every once in a while, the less accurate it becomes.

4. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

This. Cycling Li-Ion is about calibrating the indicator, not affecting the battery.

Infact, for daily charges it is recommend to do it at around 30 percent, and not to charge much past 90 percent. Li-Ion battery ideal capacity is 40%. That is where they have the lowest amount of capacity loss over time. ( This is why new batteries come at 40% charge specifically. Though they also have to stay above 0% or the battery will no longer receive a charge. )

It doesn't matter much though. Charging the last 10 percent, and bringing it down to dead each cycle will only have a relatively small impact over time, but it is there, and can eventually be considered noticeable. ( Typically in the 3-4 year timeframe. With Verizons new every 2, it just makes this even more moot. )

Oh, also...if for any reason you have to store a battery. ( Like for example you get an extended battery, and you don't ever need to battery swap. ) Make sure to store the battery at 40% charge, and in a cool place. ( Fridge would actually work, though I'de recommend closing it in something to keep any moisture out. ) Check the battery every month or 2, when it might need to be charged back up to 40%. DO NOT let it get under 3.5v ( That's 0% btw ) as this will permanently damage the battery and make it unusable.

johnperkins21 likes this.
  5. benjamin7062

benjamin7062 Well-Known Member

In general it is believed that you should not fully discharge lithium ion batteries. It is also widely believed that there is no benefit in regards to energy retention (or the charge) in performing a full drain and charge cycle on Lithium ION batteries.

This is one of many sites that has a decent explanation of both technologies.

The difficulty is un-training the many people who correctly heard this advice in the days when NiCad batteries were prevalent. They've lived-and-died by the idea that you should do this for rechargeable batteries. However, the technology switch to lithium ion has changed the rules...

6. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

They also believed that they wouldn't explode in people's laps....

Discharging won't hurt the battery. "Training" a battery may not be effective anymore, but it isn't any worse for the battery than being in your hot hand on long call. You'd never lay your phone in a small pool of water, but you'd put your phone right to your sweaty face. Two-sides, same coin.

7. benjamin7062

benjamin7062 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I follow how 'training' batteries being irrelevant to longevity relates to holding a phone to your sweaty face?

Your coin needs an air conditioner...