• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Drastic battery discharging problem

arado58

Jan 7, 2011
okay so, just today ive noticed an EXTREME, and i mean RIDICULOUS, decrease in battery capacity. When I started my walk home, I was on 35% battery, and when i got home 20 minutes later, I was at 6%, with just 3G on and about 5 minutes of basic internet browsing... nothing else. I had a consistent 3-4 bars for the entire walk home. When I got home I turned wifi on and 3g off and the battery still decreased very quickly, but not as drastically as with 3G. There were no running apps in the background, and I didn't download anything malicious. While walking home, I could spin the carousel thing for like 7 seconds and id check the battery percentage widget (official one from HTC btw) and it would be 2% less. I really don't know what this is about. Any comments, advice, or anything related would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
2011-12-14_16-39-08.jpg

2011-12-14_16-39-02.jpg

2011-12-14_16-39-04.jpg
you can see in this picture the point where the battery starts to decrease crazily. Its a straight drop on the graph

well i had it on yesterday but i only used like 60% so this morning it was at 40%. then i barely used it during school, so i had the 35% remaining when i turned on 3G, and then this began. idk if its the battery, cause if you look at the other declines in the graph, theyre not even close to as drastic as this one

Upvote 0
To the OP:

I think your battery is perfectly fine if you are getting over 30 hours on a single charge. If your phone went from a full charge to 50% in an hour or so then I could understand you having cause for concern but your battery is fine. Now sometimes there could what would appear to be a sudden decrease in battery charge but that mostly has to do with the fact that the phone has been on for a while just on idle, not doing anything for a few hours or so and once you put it through its passes it would appear to lose quite a bit of charge in short period of time. I would think thats normal and may have to do with the accuracy of the software in determining battery charge after idling for so long. Example, I could turn my evo on and not use it and after a day it will probably show 80% battery but once I start using it, it will drain fairly quickly after that. So in my opinion, everything is fine.

Upvote 0
Just to add a situation that happened to me. Couple of week ago I had a similar experience. All of the sudden one day my phone started draining power like crazy. I use to be able to go all day and still have 20% by end of day. Then all of the sudden it would be dead in 8 hours with maybe 30 min total use. let it go for a couple of days checking the battery meter all the time to see if there was anything running a lot but nothing showed up. One morning my alarm when off, i use a third party alarm app, and I hit back instead of dismiss or snooze and couldn't get back to stop it so I pulled the battery and went back to bed. When I woke up I put my battery back in and turned it on and it's back to lasting all day. I thought back on it and the whole thing had started right after I had to pull my battery after doing the same thing with my alarm a few days earlier.

I'm assuming something happened the first time I removed the battery. I know I removed it and immediately put it back in and powered on.

Have you tried pulling the battery and leaving it out for awhile?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
This same thing has happened to me twice so far. I was rooted, yes, but that shouldn't have had much of an effect on it. I've been rooted since The beginning of August, and this crazy battery drain has happened to me two or three times so far. I will unplug the phone at approximately 7:20 in the morning at about 98% battery. By 8:00 it will be down to 92%. By the time I'm to school it's 85%. By lunch (1:00) I'm down to 32%. It's usually dead before 3. Going from a full charge to dead in 7-8 hours with very little use (looking at the screen to check the time, sometimes refreshing Plume) is outright ridiculous. I don't know why it does this, but i really wish I knew how to fix it.

Upvote 0
This same thing has happened to me twice so far. I was rooted, yes, but that shouldn't have had much of an effect on it. I've been rooted since The beginning of August, and this crazy battery drain has happened to me two or three times so far. I will unplug the phone at approximately 7:20 in the morning at about 98% battery. By 8:00 it will be down to 92%. By the time I'm to school it's 85%. By lunch (1:00) I'm down to 32%. It's usually dead before 3. Going from a full charge to dead in 7-8 hours with very little use (looking at the screen to check the time, sometimes refreshing Plume) is outright ridiculous. I don't know why it does this, but i really wish I knew how to fix it.

Do you use Facebook? Check it's refresh timers. Facebook has it set at either 1 minute or 5 minute refresh, which is ridiculous and will drain your battery (even with wifi).

Do you use Twitter? Same thing.

Do you use Google Talk? If not, just tell it to not auto log in and log out of it.

Do you use HTC Hub or HTC Watch? They like to refresh a lot, too. I'd recommend you asking yourself these questions as you run through your app list. Seeing how you're rooted, I'd recommend you freeze anything you don't use and don't find absolutely necessary. The Sprint Zone app can also be contributing to the power drain.

Also, your ROM/kernel may be affecting your drain. Especially if it's a ROM that's meant for OC'ing and you don't have SetCPU to keep the clock under control.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones