• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Drawing" a letter on-screen to jump to a particular Contact

dak244

Nov 3, 2009
I was watching a video on Android 2.0 (from the Google Conference, I believe) and the presenter show a feature that allowed you to pull up your contact list and simply start "drawing" the letters of the contact you are looking for and it will jump right to it, rather than having to scroll down. For example you would draw "e" then "r" and it would jump right to Eric.

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else when testing the phone, so I thought either this feature didn't make it or it needs to be enabled or something.

Anyone else seen or know anything about this?

I think your right. I know I saw it performed, just wasn't sure how it was integrated. Crazy to me to think that something as powerful as that exists (the cappabilities do) and yet they didn't include it in the Native OS.

It's in the app drawer on the emulated android device that comes with the SDK, so the feature is at least there.. I'll have to try it out on friday when I get my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones