Driod X is.. in the mail, sorta

Last Updated:

1. SlvrScoobie

SlvrScoobie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

placed my order today finally, since my Ne2 is finally here =D Bye bye blackberry, your ship has sailed and OS6 aint worth it!
    Should ship on the 7th of sept. Any word on if that dates true / or if itll get pushed back for later buyers like the Inc?
    also - what are my chances of getting 2.2 on it from day 1 (assuming 9/10 delivery)
    What are the top 5 things I should do when i get it? (customizing / apps / rooting?)

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Welcome to Android Forums!

I've moved this to the Droid X forum, where your questions will receive expert attention. :)

Enjoy your stay with us.

3. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

1.) You are quite likely to receive your device earlier than the ship-by date that Verizon gives you. The date is only the latest that your phone should be shipped. I don't think anyone has had their device shipped later than the date given to them by Verizon. If they ship your phone even a day after that date, they're legally required to credit you $25. Also, if you placed your order online, your shipping will be dealt overnight for free. If you ordered via any other method, then you're supposed to get standard two-day shipping. However, I ordered in-store, in-person, and I somehow received free overnight shipping via FedEx. So I wouldn't necessarily believe everything that you read or are told.

2.) You're quite unlikely to receive your device with Froyo present on it. However, Froyo is supposed to be released for the Droid X in early September. By the time you receive your device, there is a very slight chance that the OTA, (Over The Air) software update will be launched and you can upgrade once you turn on and set up your device.

3.) IMHO the first few things that you should do is install any applications, games, widgets, etc. that you think you might like. You can start setting each one up later and begin sifting through them to figure out which ones you like, don't like, and/or want to get rid of or keep. I recommend visiting www.AppBrain.com and setting up an account with your GMail. You can search and browse their site and create an application list. Once you receive your phone, you simply install their AppBrain application from the Android Market and the list of applications that you made on their website can be downloaded to your phone. You can view my personal AppBrain list that is currently synced to my phone. It's added to and updated daily as I add and remove applications, so be sure to check every now and again if you're interested. www.AppBrain.com - Paycer's Apps on the Phone

3b.) There is a list of applications that is hosted by Phandroid, (site that this forum belongs to) but it appears that there is currently a formatting error, (it wasn't like this when I last viewed it like a day ago). You can find it here www.AndroidApplications.com There is a list of recommended applications, (root and otherwise) here on the site. There are also numerous other application and game suggestion threads on Android and DroidX related forum boards. I will link you to a few.

www.AndroidForums.com - Android Applications
    www.AndroidForums.com - Android Games
    www.AndroidForums.com - Favorite Root Applications
    www.DroidXForums.com - Apps for Your Rooted Droid X
    www.DroidXForums.com - Droid X Apps
    www.DroidXForums.com - Droid X Games
    www.DroidXForums.com - Top Droid X Apps
    www.DroidXForums.com - Top Droid X Games

Good luck with your new phone when it arrives. I received mine about two days ago and I can't bear to put it down. I'm still customizing and I doubt I'll ever be quite done. It's truly an incredible piece of technology and it was well worth the back-order wait.

lennydude likes this.
  4. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

Not to burst any bubbles but I think it's a really bad idea to just install a ton of stuff and sort out the good from the bad later especially as a new user. As a new user he's bound to install tons of bunk applications that could have any number of negative consequences on his phone such as crashing, hurting battery life significantly, or even malicious data stealing apps. It would be all too easy to be like "Oh look, Bioshock! *downloads*" And get hit with malware.

The likely scenario is he'll install 25 apps, his phone will run slow, have horrible battery life, crash all of the time, and he'll decide that his phone sucks.

Android is a full blown operating system like Windows, it's very different from other phone OSes. Running around installing tons of stuff when you don't know what they do is exactly the same as doing the same thing on Windows. Use caution.

5. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

I said to install all the applications that you want. I didn't say to be careless and install every single little thing that you see without looking into it.

I browse for hours looking at each application in-depth. I read user comments and reviews, check ratings, check to see if it's actually still on the Market, check previous changes, (updates, prices, etc.) everything. If I feel that it looks like a POS then I either won't bother with it or I look for something better that essentially does the same thing.

I have over 350 applications and games currently installed and my phone has not slowed down in the slightest. I'm currently customizing my new black notification bar, Beautiful Home Weather, Audio Manager Pro, Widget Locker, etc. and everything is running smoothly. My battery life seems fine, but I'm keeping it plugged in most of the time right now, while I take the time to fully customize everything. The phone isn't of great use to me if I can't actually properly use the things that I've installed. I'm getting everything set up still and customizing it to the way that I want it.

I could be considered a new user. My last, "real," phone was an LG Voyager. I only had my LG Ally for about a week until I returned it and ordered my Droid X. I'm completely new to Android. I simply read up and figure out what the heck is going on before jumping into something.

Install 25 apps and have a system meltdown? Really? If you yourself have experienced this, then you may want to get your device checked out as that is definitely not normal behavior. :rolleyes:

6. SlvrScoobie

SlvrScoobie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well as an experienced BB and windows users, i wont be throwing hundreds of apps on at once. I plan on doing the most interesting ones first, and then browsing for more as weeks go by.
    Ill check out that AppBrain place. I looked at the app forum and there was something weird going on so I didnt look at the time.
    How easy is it to root the phone (it looks easy from the instructions on the "how to root your X" thread but then again, it always LOOKS easy doesnt it :) and what do i gain other than wifi tether for root users? :)
    And, do we know yet what the main benefits of going with 2.2 will be? IE: if I get it and the 2.2 OTA update is available, should I do it? What do I gain, what do i lose?
    Also, the ship dates were pretty close to accurate for my freinds getting the INC when those went OOS, figured the same would hold true. Some boat from the Far East will arrive on 9/2 and 10,000 X's will be dispensed.
    Should I look at BB or WalMart for them instore? I keep hearing they might have one on hand. Or should I call VZW first to find out if that would throw a kink in their system?

7. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I have 107 apps and run great. Of course I'm rooted and have autokiller up and running :)

8. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

350 apps in the 3 days you've had it? WOW I'm actually shocked it hasn't crashed! lol

9. UCF_stang

UCF_stang Member

i was looking over your applist on Appbrain, and you must have been spending alot of money over the past two days buying all those apps. :eek: