• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Driver for Tp link wifi antena for android

bip_bip

Jun 2, 2014
Hi guys,

When I am in the garden, I am using an a tp link antena to receive a wifi signal from my router which is inside the house, it is working perfectly on the laptop. http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WN7200ND

Now, I wanna use it on my android 2.1.1 , the only problem is that there is no driver for androids, can anyone suggest me an idea to get this antena working on my android please?

Here are the drivers available on tplink website:
http://www.tp-link.fr/support/download/?model=TL-WN7200ND&version=V1#tbl_a

Thanks in advance.

Is that a seperate antenna that boosts WiFi signal, or does it plug in to your laptop via USB?

If the latter, it won't work with your Android phone. OTG Capabilities were only introduced in 4.x and above and if you're still on 2.1, that's a very old version of Android.

Even with 4.x, there's a big chance it wouldn't work and for any chance of it happening, you'd probably need to be rooted.

Reactions: Pugs1957
Upvote 0
On the pc or laptop, this antena is working perfectly. Once the driver has been instaled, there is an icon and when I click on it it showed me all the wifi signal available in my area, I chose an open one and I am in business :)

As regards my android, I do not have any special settings , because I do not have a driver for this antena, I tried to plug the antena straight to the android, but nothing happened.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's not going to. At the very least you'd need to be rooted and probably running a custom kernel. Even then, the kernel would probably need to be specifically modified to work with the antenna.

You mentioned in a previous post you were running Android 2.1? If that's the case, it will never work as OTG capabilities weren't introduced till 4.0, sorry.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's not going to. At the very least you'd need to be rooted and probably running a custom kernel. Even then, the kernel would probably need to be specifically modified to work with the antenna.

You mentioned in a previous post you were running Android 2.1? If that's the case, it will never work as OTG capabilities weren't introduced till 4.0, sorry.

Ok thanks.
That's said, I have my own internet connection, I have a tp link router as well (TL -WR 841 N), but I can not connect to my own wifi, I can see the wifi signal from my android, but it's impossible to connect to it. I tried to connect from my laptop, same probleme, my laptop detect the wifi but can not connect.
I think it's ip address setting problem, I tried to set it but coudn't, so it's still not working. :(

Upvote 0
Have you placed it into AP mode as per the instruction manual? What error message do you get on the android when it sees the signal but cannot connect and which device is this, the wr841? If that's the case you need to sort out that access first. Do you router security settings restrict access to certain mac codes?

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Hi there,
I am using onepluse2 mobile with Android latest version 6.0,recently my phone got liquid damage iam unable to switch on my wifi permanently so I got a TP link wifi adapter which is designed for Windows n Mac and it is working after drivers installed now my question is I would like to use these adapter try o my phone through otg cable could you please suggest me how can I install drivers in my phone..

Upvote 0
Hi there,
I am using onepluse2 mobile with Android latest version 6.0,recently my phone got liquid damage iam unable to switch on my wifi permanently so I got a TP link wifi adapter which is designed for Windows n Mac and it is working after drivers installed now my question is I would like to use these adapter try o my phone through otg cable could you please suggest me how can I install drivers in my phone..

Unless someone has made a custom kernel with drivers for that specific wifi adaptor, it's not going to work, sorry.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
That TP-link adapter is not going to work on any smartphone, nor is it designed to. It's purpose is to add wireless capability to a computer, or older laptop, that doesn't have any. Your phone or tablet (you didn't specify) already has an integral wireless chip and antenna, it's not necessary to add one.
If you want to increase the range of your wireless router in your home to extend outside, think about building your own cantenna:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fast-Cheap-and-Easy-Wifi-Cantenna/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones