Droid 1 screen not workingSupport

Last Updated:

1. gkeller

gkeller New Member This Topic's Starter

Phone is on and you can hear it startup with the chimes but I cannot get the screen come on. Any news out there on this?

Advertisement
  2. cconover

cconover Well-Known Member

I'm having this problem right now as well. This has happened to me twice before, once in June & again in August. Both times was the result of me dropping the phone in the middle of doing something on it. This morning it happened again :-(

The good news: it is fixable, I've done it before. The bad news: I can't seem to replicate how I got it to work in the past. I'm in a position to be much more attentive/scientific in how I test getting it to work again, so if I figure it out I'll post back.

This seems to be a more common issue with the Droid than you'd think. I'm surprised nobody has managed to come up with a definitive solution yet. It seems like it's a software problem, as I've been able to resolve it a couple of times now with no indication of any damage to the actual screen or loss of data once it's working again.

3. hebe76

hebe76 New Member

I just dropped my phone a few hours ago and now these same problems are happening. Screen responds to my touch, I can feel the vibrate when I slide the lock button, but the screen is just black. Did you ever figure anything out?

-Thanks!

4. Balczak

Balczak Member

Did anyone figure out a way to fix this yet? I am having the same problem. I dropped the phone and the screen looks like it's off but the touchscreen still works and I can launch apps, I just can't see anything. Any help would be appreciated.

5. Gravity_Bomb

Gravity_Bomb New Member

I'm glad to see that Motorola is monitoring these forums...

6. davetash

davetash New Member

my phone went out today without me dropping it. the screen went buggy and pixelated and then it went completely black. i could still get phone calls on it and open calls by sliding where the green arrow should be. i tried pulling the battery and hard resets with no change to the blank screen. anyway i read that this happened to people when they dropped it. so, i held it on the right side with one hand and hit the left side on my palm. i hit it pretty hard. on the third hit, it miraculously turned on and is now working. it was like a precordial thump to the heart. anyway, just thought i'd share. i ordered a iphone 4s today as i don't know how long until it happens again. good luck

7. Logank

Logank Well-Known Member

I've been having this problem too, however I really haven't dropped my phone much. I have thought about throwing it at the wall lately though...

8. gwilliams

gwilliams New Member

Hey this is my first post on android forums. I have to do this so I can post a fix. Fix to follow

9. gwilliams

gwilliams New Member

Hey guys, actually yea i just had this problem the other day. Dropped my phone on a carpeted floor, twice. First time it was fine, second time the screen was black. I could tell the touchscreen and the phone was still working because I was getting phone calls etc. It's just that the LCD screen wasn't working. In order to fix this (which it is likely a loose connection inside the phone) you must completely disassemble your phone. Trust me, this is not for the faint of heart but is outlined extremely nice here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-Motorola-Droid-LCD/3014/1

Disconnect all of the connections, take the LCD completely out. What I have found is that the key step is: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-Motorola-Droid-LCD/3014/9 STEP 26

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/UvBT1ALBqT6uab3H.large

If you look at that image, you'll notice that there are two contacts on the assembly. These are important and can become loose. Make sure when reassembling you use a conductive adhesive to readhere these contacts. I used double sided copper tape. After you reattach them, make sure you cover them with electrical tape to keep the ribbon secure. DO NOT COVER THE SILVER CIRCLES WITH TAPE.

During the disassembly make sure you disconnect the ribbon for the LCD, clean it, and reattach it. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-Motorola-Droid-LCD/3014/12 STEP 34-35

After all this, once you put it back together it should work as good as new! Feel free to message me with questions. I don't guarantee this will work, however, it worked for me!

Good luck!

cconover likes this.