Droid 1 Upgrade Elegiblity to Droid 2

Last Updated:

1. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else wondering if people's 1 year upgrade will get bumped for the D2? Just a thought :)

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Seems unlikely. No real reason for Verizon to do that.

AT&T pushed up the dates for people to get a discount on the iPhone 4 because they are probably getting a bit scared seeing all the new very feature rich and desirable Android devices coming to other carriers (especially Verizon) and they want to get their customers hooked into an agreement again.

Also, Apple may have had a hand in that, perhaps lowering the fee they charge AT&T in exchange for AT&T getting more people to buy the new iPhone.

3. gonzoguy24

Move units man

4. nstallion

Giving us a discount actually loses Verizon money though. They will pay Motorola more than $200 (or whatever the discounted price would be) per unit for the phones by a long way. The only way they make it back is that contract we are in. If they shorten the time between upgrade discounts too much, they will just lose money.

5. gonzoguy24

renewing the 2-year contract is beneficial still...it was only a thought since Apple moves up upgrade dates for new iphones coming out so they can sell more...

You have to also think about people buying new accessories...etc etc...

I am sure there is more that goes into it. Verizon also does the BOGO...keeping customers is important

6. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

Hm I think it's unlikely, I was hoping they would do this from Storm 1 to Storm 2 but they didnt, and if anything with all the Storm 1 problems you would think that they would have upgraded us early.

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

But, see, the beauty of Android is that a *lot* of people are taking notice of it - and thus, such gimmicks like reducing contract times and such aren't needed again.

I say again, b/c I heard of folks getting NE2 for the DROID when it was coming out in as short as 13 months time in order to be able to buy the DROID. Would not surprise me if Motorola subsidized that just like Apple is now doing with the iPhone for the iSheep with AT&T.

Now, Android is an established brand, Motorola has re-established themselves as a premier phone / handset manufacturer, and they probably don't see a need to subsidize another influx of DROID machines. The DROID practically sold itself, and the word of mouth was almost legendary, now that we look back upon it.

8. gonzoguy24

Welll either way I thought the question would stimulate some thoughts...thanks for replying everyone! :)

9. kyleonfire

kyleonfire Well-Known Member

I believe AT&T is doing this because they want to lock as many people into their contracts as they can before iPhone is released on Verizon and T-Mobile. The rumors must have some truth to them

10. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

well I know that sprint gives customers that have smartphones a NE1, instead of NE2. You just have to have the data plan over $60 to qualify for it. I wish that verizon would do that, but they do not. Or atleast they do not do it on my account.

11. gonzoguy24

Verizon rhes the same program

12. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

how do you know if you are available for that program? My Verizon says that I have 14 months till I can upgrade. I got my droid in January. I am curious about this.

13. svensett

svensett Well-Known Member

Since you use My Verizon, you are eligible for annual upgrades at the advertised 2 year pricing with a renewed 2 year contract. Your annual upgrade date will be in Jan 2011. From what I've seen, VZW doesn't bump annual dates, but they will bump a NE2 by a month or so.

14. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

When Storm 2 came out, I got an offer from VZW to upgrade my Storm 1 at the NE2 price...

15. ckeegan

ckeegan Well-Known Member

and I believe they'll even let you do it at 10 months.

16. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Except that AT&T has been offering this since the the original iPhone to iPhone 3g.

I don't think we'll get lucky, but you never know. It's possible.

17. nstallion