Droid 2.1 is here

Last Updated:

1. biggdogg

biggdogg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just woke up to a surprise, 2.1 update is ready to install! I'm installing now,let u know how it is

Advertisement
  2. siekone

siekone Member

All the waiting for this? Its ******ed they did not change anything? I have live wallpapers and pinch zoom pretty dissapointed! I wanted 3d app launcger also :(

3. Nexeo

Nexeo Active Member

simp7y and Spike760 like this.
  4. Nexeo

Nexeo Active Member

siekone: download Helix Launcher (Free) from the Android Market (NOT HELIX LAUNCHER 2). It's the closest thing you can get and it has awesome shortcuts that are down by the app drawer that stay with the view, I have my Phone, SMS, GMail and GVoice icons on every screen! :)

5. Spike760

Spike760 Well-Known Member

I just bought my Motorola Droid recently, it came with 2.0.1 firmware, I went to system update or whatever to try to get 2.1 but it said I was currently up to date. If I manually download it from the link provided above, how would I go about installing it on my phone, and would it affect anything negatively?

6. HumanContract

HumanContract Well-Known Member

^ what he said

7. Nexeo

Nexeo Active Member

This file is the official OTA file from Verizon, it will not harm your device in any way. Now, the process of installing it could if your battery dies while installing the update or something. If you do it with the phone plugged into the wall then you shouldn't have any issues. Verizon recommends having more than 40% battery. It took me less than 10 minutes to install.

Spike760 likes this.
  8. biggdogg

I was also disappointed with the update. So far I've found live wallpapers that make the phone run sluggish, pinch zoom (already had it with xScopeBrowser ) Google earth that is ridiculous large file that can't be moved to SD card, gesture search, and speech to text,(the only thing useful so far), no more home screen, and no flash player. Oh and a news and weather widget that I haven't tried yet. The only promising thing is it that it says update 1, so maybe there is more to come. Anyone find something I missed please post

9. Spike760

Thanks Nexeo for your answer. Also I was wondering, this might be a stupid question, but will all my old applications will still be able to run with 2.1? Like is everything backwards compatible? Is there a negative side to 2.1 (besides it didn't come with flash ;D)?

10. wsculver

wsculver New Member

11. Spike760

I just wanted to thank you Nexeo one more time, I presumably installed your 2.1 system update successfully. I can't really tell a difference, I just did it, haven't really checked it out yet, but it says it's 2.1-Update and I have a new application (goggles?). Everything looks the same, but yeah it installed correctly and in 2 minutes. Thank you.

Edit //

wsculver, I as well don't have the 5 home screens, or do you need an application to make it like that. I don't know a lot of it seems the exact same to me. Anyone care to enlighten me?

12. Nexeo

Nexeo Active Member

I use an application called Helix Launcher that gives me 5 home screens, and you don't need to modify the phone in any way to do so. Just download "Helix Launcher (FREE)" from the Market.

Your applications are all retained and 2.1 is backwards compatible, if the applications worked with your device before they should work with your device running 2.1.

Some of the differences include multitouch in the browser (pinch to zoom) and Live Wallpapers, long tap on your home screen in an empty area and go to Wallpapers, then Live Wallpapers, then choose the LWP you want to use (I chose Neural Network because it looks awesome).

13. Spike760

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check out the Helix Launcher application. One thing I noticed about 2.1 is sometimes when I try to turn on the display it can take a long time, like 10 seconds before the screen turns on. I wasn't sure if it was because I had too much stuff going, because I had like two widgets on the home screen plus a live wallpaper (which froze twice, so I just took it off). But yeah...

14. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

From what I here the verizon "upadate" is set to come it parts.

15. Gwizzy

Gwizzy Member

2.1 locked up my phone... now it's FUBAR! :(

16. biggdogg

Did you force the update or was it the Verizon OTA update that crashed the phone? I have the Verizon OTA and have been running 2.1 flawlessly since the install, I assume if the OTA 2.1 from Verizon did it they will replace the phone

17. Gwizzy

Gwizzy Member

It was verizon... I got the message last night...

18. garmiblis

garmiblis New Member

Where is my damn FLASH SUPPORT!?!?! Wtf google?

19. momof2

momof2 New Member

I got mine this morning also I did the update too!

20. jxnhole

jxnhole New Member

I don't know, but I am having the same problem. Why won't my phone recognize that I can get the new software, I got the message from verizon, clicked info, was told I'm up to date, clicked back and the message was gone. When I go to manually look for the update in my settings, it again tells me I am up to date, but 2.0.1 isn't up to date. Anyone got a suggestion short of spending hours on the phone with verizon or waiting in their purgatory/store?

21. HumanContract

HumanContract Well-Known Member

WOWWIE! I woke up this morning to an update, I was so happy I didn't even look to see what it was, I just hit okay. I haven't rooted or installed the leak so I was waiting patiently to get it legit. After it rebooted, I checked my Phone info and there it was! 2.1-update 1!!!!

SOO happy...anybody else in the NYC area get it? My mom has the same phone and bought it on the same day as me, but she says she didn't get it. I told her to check for an update and told her how and she said there were none, so I dunno...but anybody else get it?!!?!

22. tekprof

tekprof New Member

I hate to be buzzkill, but 2.1 is a total bore. I don't need this phone to behave like an iPhone....I need it to do better. There are three things this phone needs:
    1. Sig line capabilities in outbound email
    2. Push refresh for Outlook email that isn't in the inbox
    3. Weather radar overlay on maps

23. armperez

armperez New Member

my phone is rooted with sirpsychos 2.1. i am trying to install Verizons 2.1 but i am getting an error:
    --install from sd card
    finding update package...
    opening update package...
    verifying update package...
    installing update...
    verifying current system...
    assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/accountandsyncsettings.apk"...[then 3 file numbers]
    E: error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7)
    install aborted

24. tekprof

tekprof New Member

Garmiblis has it right...... that is my 4th request....10.1 Flash support. Geez, it has only been "under discussion" for 6 months......so add that to the three I posted above. Not one of those things is in this update.

@Armperez.....don't worry...no loss of anything of consequence.

25. tekprof

tekprof New Member

I would also like to be able to organize my favorites into folders....weather apps, news apps, mapping apps, most commonly used stuff....etc.