• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 2.1 is here

This file is the official OTA file from Verizon, it will not harm your device in any way. Now, the process of installing it could if your battery dies while installing the update or something. If you do it with the phone plugged into the wall then you shouldn't have any issues. Verizon recommends having more than 40% battery. It took me less than 10 minutes to install.

Reactions: Spike760
Upvote 0
I was also disappointed with the update. So far I've found live wallpapers that make the phone run sluggish, pinch zoom (already had it with xScopeBrowser ) Google earth that is ridiculous large file that can't be moved to SD card, gesture search, and speech to text,(the only thing useful so far), no more home screen, and no flash player. Oh and a news and weather widget that I haven't tried yet. The only promising thing is it that it says update 1, so maybe there is more to come. Anyone find something I missed please post

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just wanted to thank you Nexeo one more time, I presumably installed your 2.1 system update successfully. I can't really tell a difference, I just did it, haven't really checked it out yet, but it says it's 2.1-Update and I have a new application (goggles?). Everything looks the same, but yeah it installed correctly and in 2 minutes. Thank you.

Edit //

wsculver, I as well don't have the 5 home screens, or do you need an application to make it like that. I don't know a lot of it seems the exact same to me. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Upvote 0
I use an application called Helix Launcher that gives me 5 home screens, and you don't need to modify the phone in any way to do so. Just download "Helix Launcher (FREE)" from the Market.

Your applications are all retained and 2.1 is backwards compatible, if the applications worked with your device before they should work with your device running 2.1.

Some of the differences include multitouch in the browser (pinch to zoom) and Live Wallpapers, long tap on your home screen in an empty area and go to Wallpapers, then Live Wallpapers, then choose the LWP you want to use (I chose Neural Network because it looks awesome).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! I'll have to check out the Helix Launcher application. One thing I noticed about 2.1 is sometimes when I try to turn on the display it can take a long time, like 10 seconds before the screen turns on. I wasn't sure if it was because I had too much stuff going, because I had like two widgets on the home screen plus a live wallpaper (which froze twice, so I just took it off). But yeah...

Upvote 0
I just bought my Motorola Droid recently, it came with 2.0.1 firmware, I went to system update or whatever to try to get 2.1 but it said I was currently up to date. If I manually download it from the link provided above, how would I go about installing it on my phone, and would it affect anything negatively?
I don't know, but I am having the same problem. Why won't my phone recognize that I can get the new software, I got the message from verizon, clicked info, was told I'm up to date, clicked back and the message was gone. When I go to manually look for the update in my settings, it again tells me I am up to date, but 2.0.1 isn't up to date. Anyone got a suggestion short of spending hours on the phone with verizon or waiting in their purgatory/store?

Upvote 0
WOWWIE! I woke up this morning to an update, I was so happy I didn't even look to see what it was, I just hit okay. I haven't rooted or installed the leak so I was waiting patiently to get it legit. After it rebooted, I checked my Phone info and there it was! 2.1-update 1!!!!

SOO happy...anybody else in the NYC area get it? My mom has the same phone and bought it on the same day as me, but she says she didn't get it. I told her to check for an update and told her how and she said there were none, so I dunno...but anybody else get it?!!?!

Upvote 0
my phone is rooted with sirpsychos 2.1. i am trying to install Verizons 2.1 but i am getting an error:
--install from sd card
finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
installing update...
verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/accountandsyncsettings.apk"...[then 3 file numbers]
E: error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7)
install aborted

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones