Droid 2.1 Limitations

Last Updated:

1. tebower

tebower Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone released a list of the functions built into Android 2.1 that the Droid's hardware won't be able to support? I keep hearing talk of advanced 3D funtions, but is there a source that describes what these are and do?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

From all of the articles I have read, I don't think there are any real "facts" to share at this time.

3. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

The Droid actually has better 3d capabilities than the N1 as it has a separate GPU. The N1 is faster in non 3D applications.

4. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Please... PLEASE STOP saying that the N1 doesn't have a separate GPU. That's just plainly wrong. It has an ATI built Imageon GPU as a part of its SOC set up. That being said, the DROID has a highly capable SGX GPU and no 3D elements should be removed from 2.1 when it comes to DROID. There are not that many anyway... Gallery, Live Wallpaper, AppTray.

5. Robobandit

Robobandit Well-Known Member

Indeed. These features work fine on the Droid in the 2.1 Droid rom that is floating around.

I would be surprised if the official 2.1 for Droid does not support these features.

6. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member

I must say that I echo this sentiment. I am SO SICK of people saying this and that about the N1 and the Droid.

READ THE SPECS before you rattle off your "knowledge" about the hardware issues.

MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! I am so sick, so very sick, I'm talking I-Want-To-Puke SICK of people saying that the N1 doesn't have a separate GPU.

As Super Droid has stated, it DOES. IT SO VERY DOES!!

:D

7. trekgraham

trekgraham Well-Known Member

Let's avoid inter-android fighting, remember who the enemy is. Not HTC Eris hero etc, not n1, not g1, but crab apple's iPoop.
    Apple cares more about the glory and control over everything then they care about their customers, look how long it took them to get copy and paste. Basic stuff should be incorporated before putting on the shelf.

Brothers and Sisters unite, all android family should work together, if there's a need for a new application we need to seek out development not criticize, we are all revolurionists spread the good things, help fix problems, seek new developers on other sites.

iPhone beware because the droids come for you, you bring one nee phone out a year but its just same basic phone with a few tweeks and new options. Whereas we have HTC, Motorola, Samsung, and other manufacturers all making a couple new phones a year. Choice and open source will do you in apple, I'm surprised apple doesn't sell there latest phone for $600 with 2 yr contract since there stuff is always a few hundred or more expensive then PC's. Guess at&t got one detail out of apple.
    LOL

8. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I guess I missed the memo where the iPhone is the enemy. The iPhone is the reason most of the newer phones are so cool. It Apple had never released the iPhone, most of us would still be using WinMo phones, running Windows Mobile 5....

9. Crush_Buds

Crush_Buds Well-Known Member

Untrue. The iPhone was just the first phone to change the game to this step. Everyone thought that Apple was the first to bring a touchscreen phone to the world when in fact LG had the first one. The Beatles may have been pioneers but that doesn't mean that music would have not evolved without them. First/original doesn't mean best. Neither does it implicate that progress would not have been made without it. Not in the world of the adaptable man.

10. dys07

dys07 Active Member

Nerds! lol .... Give me your lunch money or suffer the consequences!!!!!!!!

>:0

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeroyyyyy jenkiiiinnnnnsssssssssuuuuh

11. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Read this out loud with the "Star Spangled Banner" playing in the background. Guaranteed to make ya cry.:p

12. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

just curious - would the droid eris be handicapped more than the droid if it got 2.1? (or is it not even getting 2.1)...

13. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Just a guess, but I don't think the Eris is going to jump from 1.6.x to 2.1. For their sake, I hope I'm wrong. I don't think it's fair for one Android device to get an update while others don't. Not cool. :(

14. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

First LoL of the morning. Good stuff!

15. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Eris is like the Hero and apparently, based on a Tweet from Sprint, they will be getting 2.1. Supposedly with Sense. I don't believe it. 1) While it has the hardware to run 2.1 (barely), it'll likely slow it down. 2) Layer Sense UI on top of that. First, there's no evidence they've got those two things playing nice together, and second, it's slow now with Sense. Add 2.1 to the mix... I would not want to use that device.

16. dys07

dys07 Active Member

hahaah

happy to oblige :)

17. Icedemon

Icedemon Well-Known Member

And yet this one phone is whooping all of Android ass. People still getting iPhones over Android to this day.

Besides the lack of true multitasking and having a LED flash. What can the DROID do that the iPhone can't RIGHT NOW?

18. DroidPhan

DroidPhan Member

Free turn by turn navigation, Bigger screen/better resolution. Easy to get movies/roms on the phone without jail breaking it..... thats just off the top of my head.

OH!! and the biggest part, i can use 3g 95% of where i go not the edge crap like att, but thats the carrier not the phone.

19. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

Really? Because I had a touchscreen Windows Mobile phone years before the iPhone or the LG Prada came out.

20. spazma7ik

spazma7ik Well-Known Member

Widgets? Flash photos? FLASH PLAYER (will come soon, and not to iPhone)? Refunds on paid apps?

Off the top of my head (in addition to above post)

21. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

Google Voice?

22. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

True. I was using an HTC Blue Angel in 2005 and the first gen iPhone wasn't released until June 2007.

23. mswhite60

mswhite60 Well-Known Member

All I want is bluetooth support for call initiation, voice dial, etc. Don't give an iPoop about anything else till that is settled.

24. SamMax

SamMax Well-Known Member

The iPhone has definitely stepped up the bar for cell phones. That's obviously why the iphone WAS revolutionary in it's debut. That's also why every new device since the iPhones inception has tried to dethrone the iPhone.

I just think you should give credit where credit is due.

25. black743

black743 Active Member

Sorry, but I couldn't resist:

[​IMG]