Droid 2.1 OTA vs. Bugless Beast: Need help choosing?

Last Updated:

1. Kirch21

Kirch21 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If and of you are wondering if you should root and go to bugless beast or beauty, heres a feature chart to help guide you decision.

[​IMG]

in my opinion its a no brainer, but if your making your decision this may help you.

One more thing, these are only the rumored features of 2.1 OTA, but rumored from motorola is a pretty decent source.

If your wanting to go to bugless beast, ive posted a guide for beginners and will allow you to backup HERE

Advertisement
  2. iamloco724

iamloco724 Well-Known Member

has it been confirmed anywhere that the ota isnt getting the 5 screens?

3. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

I *almost* went back to stock stock 2.0.1 today but thought that they might have to re-root 2.1 and didn't want to wait for that.

4. Mayze

Mayze Active Member

No way I'm unrooting. 2.1 doesn't offer anything that I don't already have with my custom rom. I would be essentially downgrading if I decided to go with 2.1

5. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

i wanted to test it and check the speed and stuff of stock, just for fun before re rooting.

6. Kirch21

supposedly by motorola on there page they deleted but notice i put those are the rumored features

7. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I finally decided after Motorola made it official that we were getting a watered-down version of 2.1 that to get everything out of what this phone should be, that rooting is the way to go. I'm now on Bugless Beast and there's no looking back. However, I'm not ruling out the possibility, or even the likelihood, that this venture may prove to be co$tly.

8. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

While your chart is quite biased, the decision to root (FOR WELL-INFORMED USERS ONLY) is made easier by one simple fact:

You can always un-root and go back to stock 2.0.1, if ever the need arose. You won't find it so easy to downgrade 2.1 back to 2.0.1 so you can root.

9. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

rooting is the way to go. Moto is taking forever with the update, plus you can always unroot whenever you want.

10. rhyno

rhyno Well-Known Member

Additionally, it's not like the rooting community isn't going to come out with improved 2.1 ROMs. I know there are a few already based on the nexus 1 rom, but I haven't had a ton of luck with them. In all likelihood, sholes, pete etc. will have something up in running within a week of the 2.1 release. With that, rooters will likely have access to anything and everything missing from the 2.1 upgrade (e.g., 5 screens<if missing>, 3d drawer, live wallpapers, OCing).

11. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Now that they have retracted earlier statements about when we would get 2.1 it is definitely time to root. Looks like we won't see the 2.1 ota till later this month or early march. I think it is pretty funny how excited everyone got when they thought it would be rolled out this week and now come to find out that is all false.

12. jbarrett020

jbarrett020 Well-Known Member

i did some searching but i want to make sure i do the right thing.
    I agree time to root. where i can find detailed instructions on how to root to the bugless beast. im pissed off by todays news, so its time.

i did some searching but maybe someone has a saved link that they have used with success.

thanks

13. darrin2520

darrin2520 Well-Known Member

Bugless Beast has voice recognition in all text fields? If that is the case I will have to take a look at it.

I've rooted and I am running Sholes 2.0.3 and quite frankly I am disappointed. It seems to lag quite a bit and it just felt slower than stock until I overclocked. Now it heats up and drains my battery if I do anything too serious. If it wasn't for the tethering, I would unroot. I may try Bugless Beast and see if it is any better.

I think their are 2 solid arguments for rooting. Tethering and overclocking. These are 2 features that will never be offered stock. In the case of tethering it will be offered but with a pretty ridiculous additional fee. Motorola will never support overclocking though.

14. ruskiartem

ruskiartem New Member

Kirch you forgot about the WiFi Tether, which the Beast has and was one of the biggest reasons i decided to root in the first place, the only thing i found its missing is the Pinch and Zoom in the native browser, but i dont really care cuse, Dolphin Browser rocks.

15. Kirch21

figured this would be included in rooted software, but yes i should have had this as a main point

16. dprk

dprk New Member

Yea I agree with most of the posters that root is the way to go especially since our original belief that 2.1 was going to come out this week is now even more uncertain than ever.

17. DmHsk39

DmHsk39 New Member

While I do really want to root my droid now that there has been a delay, is there any way to create a backup BEFORE I do this? What are the chances that it gets "bricked"? Is there a way to undo this if it happens? I'm just a beginner, but excited about all the possibilities.

18. Kirch21

19. Kirch21

i updated the chart a bit to make it less biased

20. jbarrett020

based on todays news, i chose BB7.5
    freakin awesome so far. i have wifi tether already :)

my first root and rom, couldnt be happier.
    oh and i OC'ed the processor to 800. :p

21. Kirch21

haha good stuff!

22. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Who's guide did you follow?.... if any. I was thinking of doing the SMUpdate route then just recovering to BB.

23. jbarrett020

24. penguin3d

penguin3d New Member

First off, I am fighting with an audio bug in 2.0.1 that irritates the piss out of me. If I use the button located in the microphone housing on my headphones to start or stop my music the internal ear speaker goes out to lunch until I reboot the phone. This forces me to use headphones for calls after that, or if I have unplugged the headphones and none are available the other option is to use speaker phone, which isn't always appropriate depending on the environement. Any chance moving to 2.1 will fix this issue? I figure this question is a long shot, that is why I ask it first. The other two are really one and should be easy for anyone that has done this an uses the media dock and/or the navigation dock. Will I still get the navigation home and media home? or are they not part of the basic android image? Yes to all three, and I think that this weekend will mean a rooting/update party.

25. Kirch21

as far as your headphones bug, i have no clue sorry. Yes you will get the navigation and home in 2.1 ROMs and bugless beast(which is a 2.0.1 rom modified to add all the 2.1 features and is more stable than 2.1 roms)
    most rooted roms will have all the features of stock 2.0.1 plus much more, but i wouldnt go straight into a 2.1 rom if i were you they are all pretty buggy