• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

droid 2.1 to look the same as 2.0.1? bummer

To each their own I guess. Because I've nailed your girlfriend and I prefer live wallpaper.

/;)

i like my multiple girlfreinds to your one... i get bored sleeping with the same girl every night... i like the variety... sometimes i want the tall one, sometimes i want the short one with triple d's, sometimes the skinny one, sometimes the chubby one... i'm more of a neopolitan kind of guy.. :p

Upvote 0
Live Wallpaper

ugly%20girl.jpg

My Girlfriend

megan_fox.jpg

Upvote 0
I personally like the drawer we have now. The 2.1 tray has that little "bounce" when it stops which makes scrolling slower.

The only thing I want are 5 home screens that come stock. I don't want to have to run a home replacement app.

i like my multiple girlfreinds to your one... i get bored sleeping with the same girl every night... i like the variety... sometimes i want the tall one, sometimes i want the short one with triple d's, sometimes the skinny one, sometimes the chubby one... i'm more of a neopolitan kind of guy.. :p

tangent? Remember, we're talking about Droids here. :cool:

Upvote 0
This is very contradictory to what they did with the storm 1 :) it was upgraded to 5.0 right before the s2 came out...Had all the UI features the s2 had. You still make a very good point but I just wanted to point this out :)

That's because the 9530 Storm was an epic fail. They had to do everything they could to save face. Especially right before launching the 9950.

Upvote 0
Actually I do not need to do a search around here about clock performance. The N1 has a 1 GHZ processor without the need of overclocking. My droid at 800 or 950 MHZ gets much warmer that it should.

Sorry man but you are incorrect. Remove OC from a Droid. Stock 550Mhz. Watch a movie for 45 min. The phone reaches 105....Thats stock. My phone runs at 950Mhz, is blazing fast, and never gets above what stock will do while playing a movie.

Bottom line. 2.1 for the droid should be different than 2.1 for the Nexus. They will not include stuff that will create poor performance for stock Droid users. I am sorry but I could never run my phone stock again. I love the Droid but it the performance was not the best stock. Add live wallpapers and the app drawer, and its goin to run like crap.

Take what you get. If you don't like stock, play with some Roms. If you don't want to root then maybe you should realize that for ever new phone, there will be one step better next month. No one will ever have the best phone because its out dated the day you purchase it. So why not take the phone you have and use that open source.

FEEL THE DROID.... Let the phone spread its wings. I could care less if Verizon wants the phone to soar, but thanks to this forum and Pete, and all the people at sholes, and all those who help write all these great guides and programs for droid I will get the most out of my phone, until the droid 2 comes out.... ^_^

Upvote 0
Sorry man but you are incorrect. Remove OC from a Droid. Stock 550Mhz. Watch a movie for 45 min. The phone reaches 105....Thats stock. My phone runs at 950Mhz, is blazing fast, and never gets above what stock will do while playing a movie.

The temperature reading you are getting is NOT from the CPU MAN. There is not temp sensor inside or even close enough to read the cpu's temp MAN.

I am overclocked at 800 MHZ and I am fully enjoying the experience but do not tell me you would not prefer to have this speed without having to overclock. That would be a dirty lie.

Am I worried about the damage I am doing to my phone? Kind of but not really.

Will I continue to run at 800? Totally and I will enjoy it.

Would I prefer a better optimized OS that has smoother UI? Yes. What we have now is selling the Droid short. The droid is much more capable.

Upvote 0
I don't care about multitouch, live wallpapers, or anything else mentioned in the article. I'm rooted and they really don't add a whole lot to my droid experience.

So I hope they fix a few things that detract from my experience. Specifically:

Can we finally get a dialer screen that works in landscape mode?? It looks ridiculous in a horizontal dock.

How about fixing bluetooth so we can use voice commands through our headsets (without having to buy a A2DP headset).

Fix exchange email. Verizon is losing business users because they can't do signatures. Also give us the ability to download attachments to a folder.

I'm sure there are more, but I consider these to be better updates than things like goggles and multitouch apps. They can make them available through the market.

Somehow you and I are in the minority on this...folks care more about MT and flashy features than they do about basic missing functionality...BT voice, landscape dialer, exchange mail lacking PIN/remote wipe, etc. My biggest disappointment w/Google/Moto/VZW on this phone is the lack of substance in the 2.01 update, and the likely continued lack of substance in the 2.1 update.

Oh - I should give credit where due - night mode w/Google Nav is much appreciated.

Upvote 0
You can't compare stock to OC without having 2.1 in the picture yet. Let's see how 2.1 runs and then make your comparisons. For all you know the experience will be just as (if not more) snappier than the preview vids we've seen. The Droid is more than capable.

Anyone upset about silly animated wallpapers or the 3d tray, those will be ripped from Nexus and ported to ROMs soon enough. You won't even care within a month. Personally I just want more homescreens, some usage improvement etc. If after a few months a bunch of your phones haven't exploded I may be interested in rooting 2.1 and overclocking when they crack it.

If you bought the Droid you probably knew about a future touchscreen only model. You either wanted the physical keyboard or didn't care about it then so you shouldn't really now. Don't buy into so much hype, you know by next Christmas the Nexus One will be topped already anyways!

Enjoy your phones! Enjoy what we get and if you don't like what we get omitted then root it and make your phone your own! The choice is yours!

Upvote 0
Petie, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't like the hardware keyboard but not enough to have waited six months for the Nexus One on Verizon, or whatever the heck else comes out that looks even sweeter. So far, the transition to Android from Blackberry has been fantastic. There was a modest learning curve in the beginning (about a week or two) but it's second nature now. Indeed, I wish there was more 'stuff' to learn and I find myself surfing the Market regularly looking for new gadgets. Party on, Wayne.

Upvote 0
It's going to sound silly but the #1 thing I used my keyboard for so far was Gem Miner Dig Deeper :p I played Miner Dig Deep on XBox Live Arcade and LOVED it, so finding something basically identical on the market blew me away.

I thought I'd use the hardware keyboard more to type faster but honestly, I type slower with it bc my fingers don't fit so well. I held off since December until Jan 17 to get my Droid simply because I was so worried something better would come out. And when it did I was super underwhelmed. If 2.1 is a good speed boost and snappier, plus the 5 homescreens I'll be more than happy really.

Anything else the Nexus 1 could do my Droid can, so I really don't feel "left out." Any small features we don't get really are superficial and not that important esp now that if CPU speed is such a huge deal people can root and OC.

Upvote 0
Petie, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't like the hardware keyboard but not enough to have waited six months for the Nexus One on Verizon, or whatever the heck else comes out that looks even sweeter. So far, the transition to Android from Blackberry has been fantastic. There was a modest learning curve in the beginning (about a week or two) but it's second nature now. Indeed, I wish there was more 'stuff' to learn and I find myself surfing the Market regularly looking for new gadgets. Party on, Wayne.

How to you use command line without a keyboard?

Upvote 0
All the speculation and different theories on why various things are being omitted (before even knowing for sure if they are or aren't) is just funny. Every one is a know it all.

I haven't rooted yet, just because I'm lazy and still deciding if I need what root provides. I did install the launcher, gallery, and news and weather, and let me just say for me, the launcher was just awful. Constant FC, choppy, reboots, and the like. It was NOT pleasant.

I am with the folks that would much rather see substance to these upgrades, rather than eye candy. Better exchange support, bluetooth voice command, and tighter integration with the online google offerings I place before the eye candy of live wallpapers and multi-touch. People just want multitouch support because iPhone has it and all the pundits point out what ipHone does that Droid doesn't, and people feed into that BS. Tapping to zoom works just fine, but nooo we can't stand to tap when others can pinch, so we get that before we get simple things like being able to enter a birthday into the contacts app like we can online.

There are a lot of things that other more polished OSes offer over Android, and I just wish these upgrades would fix those gaps, instead of just upping the "pretty factor."

Given what has been speculated about this update, i too will be happy with the new gallery, news and weather widget (though I likely won't use it), and 5 home screens.

Upvote 0
All the speculation and different theories on why various things are being omitted (before even knowing for sure if they are or aren't) is just funny. Every one is a know it all.

I haven't rooted yet, just because I'm lazy and still deciding if I need what root provides. I did install the launcher, gallery, and news and weather, and let me just say for me, the launcher was just awful. Constant FC, choppy, reboots, and the like. It was NOT pleasant.

I am with the folks that would much rather see substance to these upgrades, rather than eye candy. Better exchange support, bluetooth voice command, and tighter integration with the online google offerings I place before the eye candy of live wallpapers and multi-touch. People just want multitouch support because iPhone has it and all the pundits point out what ipHone does that Droid doesn't, and people feed into that BS. Tapping to zoom works just fine, but nooo we can't stand to tap when others can pinch, so we get that before we get simple things like being able to enter a birthday into the contacts app like we can online.

There are a lot of things that other more polished OSes offer over Android, and I just wish these upgrades would fix those gaps, instead of just upping the "pretty factor."

Given what has been speculated about this update, i too will be happy with the new gallery, news and weather widget (though I likely won't use it), and 5 home screens.

I will say that MultiTouch is very useful if you use maps a lot.

Upvote 0
If you bought the Droid you probably knew about a future touchscreen only model. You either wanted the physical keyboard or didn't care about it then so you shouldn't really now. Don't buy into so much hype, you know by next Christmas the Nexus One will be topped already anyways!

Enjoy your phones! Enjoy what we get and if you don't like what we get omitted then root it and make your phone your own! The choice is yours!

This.

Fabulous,

Show me someone running live wallpapers at 550 MHZ...show me please because I would love to see this.

I was before I overclocked my phone. I fail to see why you would care if others still wish to use them or not just because you have decided you did not want to.

and the Drawer for the apps. c'mon now thats just childish people.

Nah, not at all... it is called customization. What is childish is not realizing that people customize their phones to make them exactly how they want them. There really is no need to attack other people for wanting something that looks nicer in their opinion just because you don't. (not directed toward you personally... but I've seen a lot of this around here.)

If everyone liked the same thing, then there would be no options left for anything. And in that world we would all own iPhones, and a dictator would tell us what we like and what we don't like. We would listen, convinced that everything that appeared bad was actually awesome, and all the awesome stuff for other phones that we couldn't have yet was just childish crap that would ruin our phones.

In any event... as it has already been stated several times on several different threads... until someone actually receives the official 2.1 OTA, all of the speculation on what will or will not be included is just that... speculation.

In case you guys haven't already noticed, phases posted this thread...

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/43226-2-1-begin-rollout-week-motorola-updated.html

It won't be long before all of the speculation about 2.1 can die, and we can all move on to speculation about what 2.2 will include.

Upvote 0
We're so close to the update anyways. We already knew since the Nexus One announcement that it was being worked on. Of course the "few days after SDK releases) was not accurate since we're almost to mid February, but most people hypothesized that anyways.

Safe enough to say by end of February all Droid owners will have 2.1. We can hold out. Let's go make hot chocolate and play some games and watch a movie. Santa will be here before you know it :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones