Droid 2 Car Dock: Great for the original Droid

Last Updated:

1. bigbill25

bigbill25 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I ordered a Droid 2 for my wife, and I just got the Droid 2 car dock in the mail. When I opened it up, I found that it would work great for the original Droid. I made a video review on YouTube:

YouTube - Motorola Droid 2 Car Dock Review

--Bill

Advertisement
    UncleMike likes this.
  2. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I too have had very good luck with my car dock staying stuck on the windshield. It looks like I might be adding to my collection of car docks. I already have 3, but I see more in my future.

Thanks for the info.

3. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Looks like the camera is unobstructed as well. :)

There was a thread before where a user had modified the OEM Droid car mount to allow video recording while driving with the Droid while driving.

4. bigbill25

bigbill25 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, I remember reading that thread. This dock is definitely thicker with the slide in holder, so it won't be as easy, but I'm sure it's possible. The other thing I am curious about is how clear the audio from the speaker is...

--Bill

5. adostrom

adostrom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video. It looks looks like they put more thought into this than the last one. My big complaint with the Droid 1 car dock is that it won't stay stuck to the dash in hot weather, and in my SUV the windshield is too far away. It looks like that part of the system is unchanged, though...

6. gimmeanathlon

gimmeanathlon Well-Known Member

Here's a clip a buddy sent me while he was traveling. He's just started putting some project together.
    Moto Droid. He has an original on one of his pages that looks much better.
    This is just a short clip using the original car dock.

PS- I suck at embedding.

<div style="background:#000000;width:440px;height:272px"><embed flashVars="" src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/5076157/droid_cam.swf" width="440" height="272" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_5076157" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></div><div style="font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5076157/droid_cam/">Droid Cam</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">The funniest videos are a click away</a></div></div>

7. darus77

darus77 Member

Has anyone found a Droid 1 case that works with this yet? I tried the various ones at the local VZW store with no luck. I bought the mount anyways, as I think it is a much better design than the original one, but it would be nice to have the phone in a case...

8. trayson

trayson Active Member

With the Droid 2 case, are you still able to slide the droid open to use the qwerty keyboard while it's still snugly attached to the mount? that's a dealbreaker for me and haven't been able to find an answer.

9. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

With the Droid 2 Car mount, yes, you can slide the DROID open all you want. It is a huge improvement over the original.

I have both - I use the D2 only. Between that and the built-in in charger connection and the open view of the camera, it is a very well designed dock. Well worth every penny I paid.

10. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I replaced my original docks with Droid 2 docks. I got mine at cellfreeks.com - with a 15% off coupon I got them for $25 each including shipping.