Droid 2 deal $74.99, is there a catch?

Last Updated:

1. Checkka

Checkka Active Member This Topic's Starter

I recently ran into this deal

DROID 2 by Motorola (Verizon Wireless) | LetsTalk.com

which sells the Droid 2 for $74.99 after you apply the $25 coupon code '25RAFPCVER1'

When Verizon sells this phone for $200 on their own site, I'm wondering if there's a huge catch I'm missing. But everything seems legitimate, unless I won't be able to apply my corporate discount. I'm not exactly sure how these resellers work.

Advertisement
  2. Checkka

3. Checkka

Fixed coupon code*

4. Andy in NY

Andy in NY Well-Known Member

the catch with them is an extra EFT if you cancel within the first 6 months. when we first moved to verizon we went to them and got 2 lg env3's and a rival all for free.

but those prices are usually for NEW customers only, not upgrades. they do have better prices on upgrades through.

5. Checkka

Well that doesn't seem too bad unless I find some compelling reason to cancel in the first 6 months. The amazon deal seems to have the same constraint.

6. Andy in NY

Andy in NY Well-Known Member

although i think its only if you cancel OUTRIGHT. we did a transfer of liability like a month after to my wifes name for her discount, and they didnt hit us at all.

7. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

I purchased through Lets Talk a few years ago and ported over my number after setting up service. Lets Talk saw it as an account change and charged me an ETF. After a lengthy three way call between them, AT&T and myself (which they didn't even want to do), I was able to get the ETF credited back to my debit card. So be really careful with what you do after you set up service through an agent. Even changing your data plan can be grounds for the ETF for some. I have seen numerous similar accounts on various forums as well.

8. egordon42

egordon42 Member

I got my Droid through them at that price. I was holding out for an iphone4, but who knows when apple is going to fix the antenna problem and at $75, it's a steal. Their stipulation is that they're giving you the phone for so cheap that anything you need to do with your service you have to do through them. So if you need more minutes, you have to call them to do it. I said **** it, because it's so much easier to just sign on to my vzw.com account and do it there and haven't gotten any nasty calls from them yet. So go for it, it's a great deal.

9. Checkka

I didn't read anything that mentions that stipulation when I placed an order. Where did they mention that?

10. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

It's on their website.

11. Checkka

Could you be more specific? I've read their their Agreement at checkout and it seems like its the opposite. After they sell you the phone and you're under contract with VZW, you deal with VZW at point and they're not responsible for what VZW charges you, etc.

12. starburst697697

starburst697697 New Member

I did some reasearch on LetsTalk, and saw nothing but bad things. People being overcharged, non-existent customer service, etc. I just ordered a Droid 2 from Amazon about an hour ago, they have it for $99 with new contract. I personally would rather eat the $25 dollars and deal with a company that I know I can trust. Here's to hoping it ships early (had a shipping date of 8-9 days from now). :( So impatient!

13. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

Agents charge less because they have the caveats in their own separate contract that you sign that specifically charge you a steep ETF separate from Verizon or whatever carrier should you make any changes to the plan. Otherwise, you would pay the same for the phone as you would if you went through Verizon directly. Amazon is about the only agent I would trust, but I think they have their own caveats as well. It's just that it is much easier to find the sample contracts via Amazon than on Letstalk.

I just went through the ordering process on Letstalk and saw nothing of their own contract up to the point where it asks for my credit card number and am not going any further than there. They are shady, and it is probably after you have provided your payment info that the contract appears. If you really think you aren't going to make any adjustments to your plan, whether it is minutes, data, messaging, etc, during the first six months then go for it. If you don't follow their rules and get charged, then all I can say is "I told you so."

Oh, and ummm, yeah...a simple google search yielded this... http://www.letstalk.com/about/terms-and-conditions.htm

14. mcatdtDROID

mcatdtDROID Banned

hmmmm, almost as good as my D2 for 19.99 (and contract) isn't it....

15. egordon42

egordon42 Member

Well... crap. I'll let you guys know if I get charged for any changes I made to my plan. I only found out about that when I received the phone in the mail, there was a paper that told me I had to make any changes through them etc. Nothing while I was ordering.

16. mas90guru

mas90guru Well-Known Member

Read the link quickly and it seems to relate to removing services -- such as data -- from a plan versus swapping from one plan to another.