droid 2 global on att

Last Updated:

1. motionxxusxx

motionxxusxx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It seems that the droid 2 global has att 3g. Can you walk into a verizon store and purchase the phone without a contract at the full price eventhough you do not have any sort of contract with Verizon. Has anyone ever done this? All you would need is a unlock code which I'm sure you can purchase online. I know some people have purchased the storms and used them on tmobile or att. Spec wise the droid 2 would be the best android phone on ATT.

Advertisement
  2. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

Generally when they first release a phone they limit non contract sales. Also, Verizon loves to lock things down, so you are going to want to make sure the sim card can be removed and you can put your own in.

3. Yankees368

Yankees368 Well-Known Member

You will most likely need to have a vzw account first, then ask them nicely to unlock the phone for other SIMs.

4. AustinR

AustinR Member

Also, look at the GSM bands included. The band used in the US might not be included, meaning even though it'll run on other countries' GSM bands, it can't use a AT&T SIM card.

5. Yankees368

Yankees368 Well-Known Member

The US bands are included, except for T-Mobile's 1700

6. motionxxusxx

motionxxusxx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've read that the firmware will know you are in the US and default to the CDMA bands.

7. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

FWIW, I got the T-Mo Motorola Defy last night at full retail (I have both Tmo and At&t) and had to put in service call to get working unlock code, but 2nd one worked. Customer service was more than willing to provide it to me, but the ones they had didn't work, and were half as long as what did. Getting 2Mbs+ down 1.5Mbs up on the AT&T 850 band.

I'm sure the D2G is a much better phone all around, but if you're looking for an AT&T alternative, its much more rugged/durable than the Bravo equivalent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. vistadude

vistadude Member

Is the Droid 2 global in stores now? I'd would be nice to play with it a little bit to see how quick it is and how much bloatware they have installed.

9. colnago

A call to my local store resulted in an ETA of the 18th.

10. w53cig

w53cig Active Member

Unfortunately not yet. The D2G has the hardware to work on AT&T, but Verizon has restricted use of the 850/1900 GSM/UMTS bands in the USA, which are the bands that AT&T and T-Mobile use.

You will have to wait until someone hacks the radio firmware to unrestrict these bands before you can use the D2G on AT&T.
    Yes. (Not sure if you can in the store, but you can definitely buy it online at full retail.) But the device will still have VZW's radio firmware on it, which won't work on the AT&T or T-Mobile bands.

11. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there are actually unlock codes from vzw that work so I can use a sim overseas.

I understand that ATT won't work, also heard that there are no unlock codes yet.

I had a TP2 and BB that vzw gave me codes for, and only want to unlock for outside the states

12. colnago

From what's being reported, Verizon is giving unlock codes however there is something else going on, which is keeping an AT&T SIM from connectivity, while in the states.

13. w53cig

w53cig Active Member

I received an unlock code from VZW a week ago so they definitely have them. Also, a few people have reported success with using non-VZW SIM cards in Europe and South America.

As long as you get the unlock code, you will be able to use the D2G with GSM pretty much anywhere except in the US.