• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 2 Global on VZW website

I actually just ordered my Droid 2 Global (black). It is the replacement/upgrade for my Eris :D

The upgraded processor and actually being able to run 2.2 (and beyond) is mighty appealing to me...

-lance
There is no black. The DROID2G only comes in Winter White and Dark Sapphire. So you must have Dark Sapphire (Dark/Navy Blue).

I just hope that the software is similar enough that anything people do to there globals will work on ours. We have a small enough community as it is.

Well Its only Global ready and has a 1.2ghz processor stock. Its still the same DROID2 most of all. It doesn't matter to me since I'm overclocked to 1.2ghz, I like Dark Sapphire over Winter White and I never leave the states and don't plan to.

Upvote 0
I was going to order the D2 a while back but then heard about the D2G so I decided to wait and go with the D2G. I ordered it last night. Should be here by 3p tomorrow! Cant wait!!!!!

Also just in case anyone was wondering, it is only online right now. I called customer service and they said it is confirmed to be in stores on the 29th.

If anyone is ordering online coupon code FREEOVERNT works for free overnight shipping. I used it!!

Upvote 0
Does the .2 really make that HUGE enough of a difference?
My other question is arent ALL cell phones technically "global"? I know people who have traveled to Europe, Mexico...and used their Verizon cell phone. What is the advantage to the phone being "global"?

The .2 is essentially a 20% increase in processor speed. May clear up any lag our slow sections on your device. May make swiping through home screens smoother. And what makes it global is the gsm radio it has. most of the world uses gsm technology as opposed to cdma, which verizon uses for now. verizons 4g will be gsm based. Same reason you can't activate an iPhone on verizon. It will have a sim card installed for the gsm radio. And to prevent any confusion, no the d2 global is not 4g ready because of the sim card.

Upvote 0
The only Verizon phones to date that work in Europe are a few Blackberries. GSM (Europe cell system) is totally different from the CDMA that Verizon uses. The phone has to have an extra radio in it to work with both systems. The new D-Pro and D2 Global are HUGE for those of us who travel a lot. It was the one thing that kept me interested in the iPhone, which is GSM. Can't wait to upgrade to a D2 Global. Verizon will sell a lot of these phones just for that reason.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it compares to the D2 (Processor) but I am telling you this thing smokes my Eris. It's really like the Eris ON CRACK!!! So far so good... I have to get used to the new layout though and all of the new crap on the phone...

Still trying to find a site to stream from (netflix, hulu, etc). I haven't figured out how to convert from DVD so I can play it on the phone either.

Is there a Welcome to D2 thread? I have a lot of studying to do :p

-lance

Upvote 0
Does the .2 really make that HUGE enough of a difference?
Not in my experience.
arent ALL cell phones technically "global"? I know people who have traveled to Europe, Mexico...and used their Verizon cell phone. What is the advantage to the phone being "global"?
Yes and no. Most VZW phones are CDMA only. The typical Verizon phone uses the 800/1900 MHz CDMA bands. So anywhere in the world where the 800/1900 CDMA bands are used, the Verizon phone will work (as long as you have international roaming activated on your line, and VZW has a roaming agreement with the foreign carrier.) However, very few countries use CDMA - most use GSM. Also, using your Verizon phone on those networks will get you charged at VZW's international rates, which range from $1-$5 per minute...i.e. crazy expensive.

The Droid 2 Global is different because it has both CDMA AND GSM capabilities. So not only can you use the device in a lot more countries, but you can use a local SIM card in the country you are visiting (as long as you get a SIM unlock code beforehand) and get local rates (which are of course MUCH cheaper than Verizon's global roaming rates)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones