• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 2 Keyboard Found in Verizon System

That keyboard looks fail imo :/ The only real improvement is the addition of the microphone and the back keys (and I don't see why they would remove the options key from the keyboard like that). zz who want's arrow keys?? And honestly, they can't make the space bar a little bigger? >.< Not to mention how awkward this design looks.

Upvote 0
who want's arrow keys??

I want precise cursor control, therefore I want arrow keys or some other form of cursor control such as a d-pad.

I hate stabbing around on the screen to position the cursor when I wish to make an edit.

I'm extremely happy with the keyboard on my Droid the way it is. The d-pad works great.

Including myself, I know eight people with Droids. Six are heavy physical keyboard users and nobody complains about it.

Upvote 0
I want precise cursor control, therefore I want arrow keys or some other form of cursor control such as a d-pad.

I hate stabbing around on the screen to position the cursor when I wish to make an edit.

I'm extremely happy with the keyboard on my Droid the way it is. The d-pad works great.

Including myself, I know eight people with Droids. Six are heavy physical keyboard users and nobody complains about it.

With you on that! When using the onscreen keyboard, and you want to edit, even a mistake, getting the cursor in the right place is next to impossible. Stabbing with your finger is a great analogy. Too bad you need to do it about 8 times to get the cursor to the right place, and its just easier to backspace the whole thing and retype. I am hoping I am not aware of someway to move the cursor with the on screen kybd and someone will enlighten me!

Upvote 0

I didn't ask who want's a dpad, but who want's arrow keys? I use my dpad all the time and would be completely lost without it. I'm not much for the idea of replacing that with arrow keys.

Though the dpad on the Droid is kind of small for my liking, I still use it all the time, and I wouldn't think of stabbing around on the screen when I need to make an edit lol.

Upvote 0

Amen, bud!

I much prefer using the physical keyboard for many reasons. Some for functional reasons, some purely childish. For one, although I am a techie and love advancing technology, I believe there simply will be no replacement as ergonomic as a physical keyboard and d-pad :cool:. Some may disagree (like the DVD/VHS analogy near the beginning of this thread), but that's just how I feel. It's a big reason as to why I didn't want an iPhone.

Having said that, I also like the slide-out that the Droid has...it's just awesome, so it's a great excuse to use the physical keyboard/dpad, lol. Childish? I know. :p

Also, as a console gamer, such as PS2 and 360, having a D-pad comes naturally to me...honestly, I don't think I dig the Droid 2 keyboard simply because there's no comfort of having a D-pad; STRICTLY as a GAMER, it not comfortable NOT to have one. ;)

Upvote 0
Hmm Droid keyboard is tolerable to me, in that it is useable. I use it for the exact reason when I need a d-pad to zero-in on where I want to be or when I want type in landscape and still be able to see the screen (like in a chat).

I don't much care if it is arrows or dpad, only because I'll adjust to either. Disheartened to see more of the same flat buttons though. The keyboards on the HTC phones like my old 6700 and 6800 are far better, but I guess that comes at the expense of them being thicker too.

Good to see more of the space being used though, as well as the staggered keys and they also appear to have some curvature to them for tactile feedback.

I don't use the hardware keyboard too much but I too prefer to retain it for those times when I need it (like a long email, chat, editing a doc, etc).

Upvote 0
I didn't ask who want's a dpad, but who want's arrow keys? I use my dpad all the time and would be completely lost without it. I'm not much for the idea of replacing that with arrow keys.

Though the dpad on the Droid is kind of small for my liking, I still use it all the time, and I wouldn't think of stabbing around on the screen when I need to make an edit lol.

Well, I'd certainly want arrow keys if I didn't have a d-pad. And while I do like the d-pad on my Droid, I think I would prefer arrow keys.

Upvote 0
The whole phone has been revealed, by the way. Don't know if it's been posted yet:

moto-droid-2-full-droidlife.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones