Droid 2 Mobile Hot Spot

Last Updated:

1. AHoL2206

AHoL2206 Member This Topic's Starter

Just read on Engadget that the mobile hotspot on the Droid 2 is going to be a $20 add on.

typical...

Advertisement
  2. kbza66

kbza66 Active Member

no surprises there... that's why I rooted my Droid and i'm using Wireless Tether... connected my laptop and my 2 daughter's iPods on the Fort Lauderdale airport... ;)

3. Bondad

Bondad Active Member

Is there a rooted ROM that makes it possible to use the Droid as a hot spot? I know the official word from MOTO is the hardware can't do it but my guess is that's not necessarily true.

4. kbza66

kbza66 Active Member

I'm using Kangerade 5.0.9 with Kernel ChevyNo1 2.6.32-low V-1.2Gz... no issues.. only had to reinstall the Wireless Tether app once from the market.. i also use for the ''Encryption setup method" the value: wpa_supplicant

5. OutlawFirebird

OutlawFirebird Well-Known Member

Just be carefully when using teathering while rooted, Don't want you to end up with a huge bill. Dont know how much of those storys are ture. I know paying an extra 20 bucks a month does suck, especcialy since most of us have unlimited data plans already.

6. kbza66

kbza66 Active Member

agreed.. i only used it in very extreme situations... don't want to be surprised! ;)

7. Bondad

Bondad Active Member

I'm not talking about tethering. I'm wondering if the D1 can act as a wifi Hot Spot where multiple devices can access the web via the hot spot using wifi to the droid.

8. kbza66

kbza66 Active Member

"What’s Wi-Fi Tethering? Wi-Fi Tethering means users can share their mobile phone’s 3G internet connection with external devices like laptops over Wi-Fi. In other words, they can transform their mobile phone into a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot"

So, basically Tethering = Wifi HotSpot... and Droid 1 can do it ! (if it's rooted)

9. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

yes its called wireless tether for the rooted droid. I have used it for connecting my Ipod touch and my laptop at the same time. its all wireless

10. OutlawFirebird

OutlawFirebird Well-Known Member

just curious, but has anyone tested to see how many devices can be connected to the droid and one time?

11. Bondad

Bondad Active Member

Ah - I thought "tethering" required the droid to be connected to the computer with the USB cable. Here's why I was confused.

A tether is a cord or fixture that anchors something movable to a reference point which may be fixed or moving.

Thus I assumed the droid had to be connected with the USB cord.

12. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

13. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

your right tether means with a cord but thats why wireless is before tether. so wireless means no wire right?:rolleyes: