Droid 2 or Droid X?

Last Updated:

1. portland88

portland88 New Member This Topic's Starter

I realize it is mainly a question of personal preference considering all the similarities between the specs and UI. But I wanted some other opinons. I recently picked up a droid 2 as a replacement upgrade for an incredible that I broke as it was the only android in stock. However, it seems rather sluggish and bulky compared to the incredible but I do like the build quality of motorola products. Being that I have thirty days to exchange, what would be the advantages/disadvantages for switching to the X?

Advertisement
  2. Shid

Shid Active Member

I had the Droid X and returned it. Just picked up the Droid 2 a couple of days ago. IMO the Droid 2 is better. It just feels like a better built phone, it kinda feels like the X was just glued together. The physical keys on the X felt horrible, they would move and sometimes be hard to press. Also the top "rubber" piece on my X wasn't level on both sides and that drove me nuts. Plus the size of the thing, its a monster. The D2 definitely fits in the pocket easier. As for the UI, its the EXACT same on both devices. The D2 feels a lot snappier than my old X as well. Not to mention a physical keyboard, enough said. Based on my experience of the two, the D2 is a better phone but thats strictly personal preference as both of these phones are amazing.

3. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I think you'll hear anecdotal evidence that either one feels better or faster or better performance. But it's the same innards and software. The question is whether you want a) a physical keyboard or b) an improved camera and larger screen.

IMO, swype is great for text messages and quick emails. But it doesn't really allow you to compose a message the same way the physical keyboard does. First, an on-screen keyboard takes up half the screen, so it's harder to see what you wrote, and it's hard to position your cursor to edit anything without the physical keyboard.

The screen of the Droid X is just a little big. I could probably pocket it just find, but it's hard to reach your thumb up to the notification pull down when you're holding it with one hand, and I have really large hands. I think a 4" screen is probably the sweet spot, but Moto isn't making a 4" Droid right now.

4. DJStormX

DJStormX New Member

I have both the Droid X and Droid 2 and usually switch between from time to time. Right now im using the the Droid 2. The only bad things i hate about the X are the big hump in the back due to the HD video which IMO they shoulda made 2 versions (regular camera or the HD one) and the keys on the front which i think shoulda been embedded into the screen like every other droid has. As far as the droid 2 the keyboard is the only thing i gotta get use to after using so many non-keyboard phones. I love both so far.