1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Droid 2 Overclock(Kernel Module+Instructions)

1. FreeWELL

FreeWELL Well-Known Member

* Props to Super_Six_Two and WalCs for helping me get the memory address' and testing the module out for the D2*

Before continuing on please check out the following links, and learn from what the DX guys have discovered:

http://http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/201920-droid-x-2-2-overclock-kernel-module-w-instructions.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/145209-how-overclock-your-droid-x.html

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/146969-how-overclock-survives-reboot.html

Here it is:

Milestone Overclock Module 1.2t (nadlabak's patch) w/ Memory Locations for Droid2 2.2 Added by FreeWELL

Credits:
    Tiago Sousa aka Mirage: for The Milestone Overclock Project
    nadlabak: for patching in Froyo/2.2 Support
    FreeWELL: for finding DroidX 2.2 memory locations/module compilation

Notes:

I'm trying to keep this as close as possible to the way it was done on 2.1 for the Droid X. For me, 2.2 seems to need a little more voltage to be stable than it was under 2.1. I've included two versions of setscaling.sh to start from.

setscaling.sh is set to stock voltages/clock speed

setscaling100.sh is set to stock voltages w/100mhz bump accross the board to 400/700/900/1100 (This appears to be stable for me, and is the baseline for my testing/tuning)

Install Instructions

adb/terminal:
    $ su
    # cd /sdcard/extracted/droid2_22_oc (or wherever you extracted the files to)
    # mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system
    # cp overclock.ko /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
    # cp setscaling.sh /system/xbin/setscaling.sh
    # chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
    # chmod 755 /system/xbin/setscaling.sh

<optional(only do after thoroughly testing what works for your DroidX in setscaling.sh)>
    # cp install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    # chmod 755 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    </optional>

# mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system

Run Instructions

adb/terminal:

$ su
    # insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
    # setscaling.sh

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    :
  2. WalCs

WalCs Member

Wooooott first and IT WORKKKSSS :D
  3. FreeWELL

First overclocked D2 ever... That's kind of a dope...
  4. ljbaumer

ljbaumer Well-Known Member

This is so freaking Bad Ass!!!!

Trying out right now
  5. WalCs

WalCs Member

At 1.3G already
  6. pilotcharles747

pilotcharles747 Well-Known Member

Thanks you guys did a good job.
  7. FreeWELL

Cool... Keep an eye on temps. I'm not sure how differently the two phones shed heat, or if it will make a difference in overclockability.
  8. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

I failed, therefore i am... a noob...

i ran the commands and it didnt change a thing on my droid 2. it still says 1000mhz.

???????
  9. FreeWELL

ok... in adb/terminal execute:

Code:
    cat /proc/overclock/*
    Does it throw an output or error?

The setscaling.sh file is actually set to stock values... It must be edited to overclock... Please read through the first link I posted in the OP, it explains a lot of this stuff.
  10. Thornfullessrose

it said no such file or directory.

EDIT: and the first link isnt working
    NEVERMIND&#8593;
  11. FreeWELL

Sorry about the link... i fixed it. Please check that out... sounds like your module isn't loaded. try the run steps again... i can't go deep into troubleshooting right now.. got a screaming newborn I have to attend to..
  12. Thornfullessrose

handle your business dude. that page will probably help me. thanks!
  13. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

This ruined my night and tomorrow day :(
    I can't do it til 6pm tomorrow.

Can this be installed with Clockwork?
  14. Thornfullessrose

am i supposed to extract the files to my sdcard or my computer?
  15. *Luke*

*Luke* New Member

Amazing!! Thanks so much for all your work, guys!!!

Running at 1.2Ghz atm, and everything seems to be running perfectly =) keeping an eye on the temps, but it looks as though it's going to remain stable!

what info could I post that would be of any help to anyone?
  16. darkonion

darkonion New Member

Hi everyone,

I wrote a simple Linux shell script called dooverclock.sh. Give it a try. Standalone.

1. Extract
    2. Chmod
    3. Run dooverclock.sh
    4. Follow directions (1.2, 1.3, 1.4 are meant for D2) in UI

-Kevin

Information and downloads here:
    DOOverclock - Easier Way to OC Your Droid 2 - xda-developers
    Will port to Windows as soon as I have time.
  17. bizzshow

bizzshow Member

This is great just oc my phone only messed with the 1.0 I'm now running at 1.2 at 58vsel not bad will see if I can get higher
  18. inssane

Do you have an eta on windows version? I have been fighting with adb to read my phone and it was a no go last night
  19. bizzshow

bizzshow Member

Do it via terminal that's how I did and it took less than 5 minutes
  20. inssane

Terminal emulator? Really?
    Can you copy and paste the commands for me please or are they the same commands?

Thanks!
  21. Thornfullessrose

I might have to wait for an easier process. This just isnt working for me. :(
  22. Cilraaz

Cilraaz Well-Known Member

Commands are the same. I just dropbox'd the files onto my phone and put them in place through the terminal.
  23. n0yd

n0yd Member

Thanks for this. I got it working in all of 2 minutes just using better terminal on my phone instead of using adb.

I'm trying to get 1.2 stable and not having much luck. Quadrant is stable, I get low 1600's on 1.2. And setcpu stress test passes, but I still get random reboots. Could you please explain to me the voltage number in the script for the vsel variable setting? I'm going by another users settings for 1.2 and he has it set at 56. I would like to adjust this value, but I would like some explanation of this number first as to how it correlates to voltage. I am a heavy overclocker on desktops using watercooling, phase change and peltiers in the past, and understand vcore etc. But just the number "56" makes no sense to me. So if someone could please provide a good explanation, that would be great.

Also it has always seemed in the past, that putting the voltage up high won't really make it get to the point of overheating the chip and frying it. Whenever I had the voltage too high on my Original Droid, Eris and G1 they would just reboot before it ruined anything.
  24. inssane

I am used to zip files with set clock speeds.
    I haven't done the above method yet - and reading other threads, it seems like you set your own speed.

Can someone link me to better instructions on how to get 1.2/1.3 for instance? Or maybe point me to it, since I am obviously missing something.
    Nick
  25. bizzshow

bizzshow Member

Same comands. And I'm running at 1.3 it's been stable but I bumped the voltage up to 63 no heat issue lock ups of anything