droid 2 root????Support

Last Updated:

1. ljbaumer

ljbaumer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

is it going to be possible to root the droid 2?

this is the main thing that is making me reluctant from getting the droid 2.

also if it is possible to root will it take forever to root like it did with the droid eris?

Advertisement
  2. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

The Droid X got rooted within a week of release. I can't imagine it would take that much longer for the Droid 2 to be rooted. Granted, it's not as popular, but I just got back from Verizon and they said the Droid 2 is selling quite well.

3. ruthlessbeatle

ruthlessbeatle New Member

I really hope it happens soon i miss my wifi teather

4. JohnnyBlace

JohnnyBlace Well-Known Member

how about custom ROMs? Are those still nowhere to be seen because of the locked bootloader?

5. DROIDing

DROIDing Well-Known Member

Subscribed!

Ohhhh root... where art thou?

6. jradicle11

Less than a week of android experience and already wanting root. We are a bad influence on you.

7. DROIDing

HAAA HAAAAAA! More.... MORE... MOREEEE!!!!

8. EchoX860

EchoX860 Well-Known Member

I was seriously considering getting the Droid 2 knowing I can put an HTC Sense-like UI on it once it gets rooted. But I'm still debating about the Incredible....

AHH!!!!! TO MANY CHOICES!

9. DROIDing

I believe HTC Sense was the skin I used on my Touch Pro 2 for the past year... I LOVED it unlike anything else!! If this can be put onto the Droid 2 I would be in heaven. I was using the most recent Mighty Rom from PPC Geeks for a very long time until I switched to the Droid 2 last week. Now I can't wirelessly tether anymore :(

10. ljbaumer

do you guys know about any people who are devs who are working on rooting the droid 2?

Droid X and Droid 2 likely impossible to root
    is this true?

i know you guys are going to say NO because the droid x was already rooted but does this mean that we won't be able to get custom roms on the droid 2 or droid x?

11. Lnksyr

Lnksyr Member

I know one dev is working on the Droid X and even flashed clockwork onto it after A LOT of difficulty, so there's progress being made. Heard somewhere else he's taking donations so he can buy a Droid 2 next and work on that.

12. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

I know money was trying to be raised to buy a phone for birdman who rooted the X. I have no idea if they got it or not. But I also understand that the exploit was fixed in froyo that was used to root the X.
    As to custom roms only time will tell but so far things seem to be moving right along on the X but at a slow pace.

13. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

I'm not getting a Droid 2 until it's rooted. I refuse to lose functionality (and most of my paid apps that require root) coming from my Droid.

14. swagner53

swagner53 Well-Known Member

The Droid X is already rooted. However the bootloader is still locked so custom ROMS cannot be installed. Apps that require root (e.g. WiFi Tether) work very well. I don't think you will have to wait too long for that on the 2. Watch xda-developers site to keep up to date.

15. UberPippi

UberPippi New Member

I'm brand new to the droid, switching from Blackberry, and I just got the Droid 2. Can someone please briefly explain the benefits of rooting the phone and what it lets you do? I know there's something about wifi tethering, but what else does it do? Sorry for the dumbness, just getting used to the terminology.

16. jmz768

jmz768 Well-Known Member

Will rooting allow the removal of all the bloatware or can that only be done with a custom rom?

17. jradicle11

Rooting is what will allow the removal of bloatware.

18. 7snr9

7snr9 Member

Birdman's exploid was working for the Droid2 running Froyo until Moto released their next pre-production software upgrade (Release 2.2.19). So it wasn't necessarily a Froyo thing. The root method didn't work exactly as it did for the X but the exploid software worked once you got it on the phone and ran it.

Whether or not someone just happened to send the update that fixed the exploit to Birdman I won't comment on..... ;)

19. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

has anyone tried easy root or androot on this phone yet?

20. 7snr9

7snr9 Member

I believe they're just simplified versions of Birdman's exploit. I've only known of his method so they'll probably not work.

21. lclemens@gmail.com

lclemens@gmail.com Member

I'm am SOOOO pissed! I just got a droid 2 and it is LOADED with bloatware! tons of worthless SH*T! Blockbuster, amazon, etc. I don't want to have to scroll and search through three damn pages of crap just to use one of the few apps that I need. Without root i can't remove the bloatware!! i'm giving it a week to see if someone finds a way to root it, but if not PEACE OUT DROID - i'm returning this POS and buying something not hosed by motorola and verizon. hell, i'd even take steve job's nazi apple iphone over this crap - at least it'll let me uninstall trial version apps on MY OWN PHONE!!!

22. ljbaumer

you'd go to an iphone over a droid 2? wow thats foolish

23. LavenderPekoe

LavenderPekoe Member

Get LauncherPro, it's free, hide the apps you don't want to see.

24. jradicle11

Because of 4 bloatware apps? Slow down there, sailor.

25. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

@lclemens: patience man, once its rooted, we'll be able to take all that junk out.

I got my D2 the day it came out knowing full well the advantages of rooting from friends who have the original Droid. I'm surely anxiously awaiting the root since the first thing I'm doing is uninstalling the bloatware. Plus I'm hoping we'll get better power management.