Droid 2 vs Droid 2 Global

Last Updated:

1. fluffyz

fluffyz Member This Topic's Starter

What's the difference? They both seem the same to me. I undersand that one is built for world features, but are there any other differences?

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

• Remote wipe of device and SD card
    • Document editing with QuickOffice
    • Inbox filtering
    • Invite attendees to meetings using GAL
    • Ability to juggle multiple schedules. (free/busy lookups)
    • 1.2ghz processor.
    • More responsive Keyboard.
    • 2 color options. (Winter White and Dark Sapphire)

3. tbaker

tbaker Well-Known Member

Is the cpu the same cpu just up-clocked or is it the next model up cpu? Don't we all get quickoffice? I know it came with my regular D2?

Is there any way to get the invite attendees feature installed on to the regular D2?

4. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

The CPU is the same. Its just overclocked on the Global, but its easy to do the same on the D2

5. fluffyz

fluffyz Member This Topic's Starter

Well I just got a Droid 2 and the only feature I wouldn't have minded having would be the keyboard. Texting is where it's at :)

6. arvcube

arvcube Member

we just got my wife the global today and the keyboard is slightly different...not as flat as the standard d2 keyboard. still flat, but it looks like there's more definition in the buttons.
    also, there seems to be a pre-installed VPN client and a Task Manager

7. tbaker

tbaker Well-Known Member

I played with a demo model at BB today and for some reason or another I found to keyboard to feel nicer to use.

8. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

I can do that stock and without picking something up from the Market. :confused:

9. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

You can do these without using any additional apps? These features are on the DROID2 Global only, or they wouldn't have listed them as exclusive features.

10. tbaker

tbaker Well-Known Member

My regular D2, I recently got, came with quickoffice(granted it was a lower build that what you find on the Droid Pro and 2 Global). Never really paid attention to the other.

11. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

I apologize for not seeing this earlier. I didn't add anything to it. Quick Office lets me edit files. I just update it when it says there are updates, I refused to buy it since I had a key for Documents To Go that they told me I could move to my R2D2 D2.

I thought the remote wipe was a part of Backup Assistant, but I was wrong. Sorry about that (now I need to get something for that, lol.)

12. omnipanzer

omnipanzer Member

Just wanted to point out real quick: according to the info Computer world has it's the same CPU that is in the Droid X overclocked not the Droid 2.

Droid X - TI OMAP 3630 1000 - 1Ghz
    Droid II - TI OMAP 3620 1000 - 1Ghz
    Droid 2 worls - TI OMAP 3630 1200 - 1.2Ghz
    Droid Pro - TI OMap 3620 1000 - 1Ghz
    I guess it could have been a typo.

I would assume if the 3620 and the 3630 were the same cpu but clocked differently there would be no need to add the 1000 or 1200 at the end.

NiceGuysFinishLast likes this.
  13. tbaker

tbaker Well-Known Member

No, there is was shown to be a difference over at XDA. They found out the Milestone 2 also has the 3630 cpu at 1ghz, which is why it has 720p recording and the Droid 2 doesn't and so far isn't being able to be hacked to support it. Speculation is there is something in the 3630 that allows it that the 3620 doesn't support.

14. loomer

loomer Well-Known Member

There is no physical keyboard on the global??

15. tbaker

tbaker Well-Known Member

Is it true the D2G has a slight bigger 1425mah battery vs the 1300mah for the D2? If so where can I get one, or a 1500mah battery for $25 or less? Thanks.,

16. vikki

vikki Well-Known Member

I'd look into getting the XBP7 - the extended battery for the D2/D2G. It should come with a new battery backing because it is a bit thicker. If you have a case, you may want to see if it will accommodate the extended battery. Light to moderate users will notice a difference the the battery life. If you're a heavy user, I'm not sure if you will benefit as much.

17. Squirrel

Squirrel Well-Known Member

I think I may like the keyboard better on the global model. I don't want to say never, but I am 99% positive that I won't make use of the global potential of this phone. Is there any reason for me to get the non-global phone given that both are going to cost me the same to purchase?

18. vikki

vikki Well-Known Member

I've pretty much only used the keyboard twice and both times were to set up my phone from scratch (brand new and factory reset). If you plan on just texting and browsing, then the D2 should be fine. If you like having that extra 20% speed on the CPU, plan on using your phone overseas, or be an applications monger then get the D2G. One other thing to consider is battery life. The D2 has a better battery life than the D2G.

That is pretty much it.

19. Squirrel

Squirrel Well-Known Member

Vikki - I appreciate your thoughts. 20% CPU speed increase is obviously the largest reason I am considering the global other than the keyboard feel. The cost being the battery life is a little worrisome, but I am coming from an Eris and do ok with its battery life. I definitely don't plan on using the phone overseas or making much use of office type applications.

Maybe you are right about not using the physical keyboard, but that puts me back at considering an X; which I ruled out due to its size (funny, same reasoning I got an Eris over a Droid originally).

20. Dakota - Tom

Dakota - Tom Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a physical keyboard on the global. Same layout as the D2, slightly improved feel.

21. Dakota - Tom

The D2G uses the BP6X battery, rated at 1390mAh (min) - 1420mAh(typ).

22. cainn.mickey

cainn.mickey New Member

Got my upgraded phone today, and it was the d2 global. I've noticed a few major differences right off the bat.
    1. the d2 global does move faster(faster processor)
    2. it feels lighter than the d2
    3. the keyboard does feel easier to use
    4. comes with a task killer
    5. the battery has not lasted as long
    The main reason that I got it is due to the fact I'm going overseas to work and don't wanna deal with the hassle of phone cards or lines to use the phone. The sim card is pre-installed and should not be activated until you absolutely need it. I won't activate mine until I get my plane tickets. It does cost a grip...

23. Dakota - Tom

These to together are interesting. Did they include #4 because of #5?

24. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Cause and effect - #4 being the cause, and #5 being the effect.

25. filmont

filmont New Member

Why wouldn't you activate it sooner? I'm just curious to know, not criticizing.