• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid 2: Where are my own phone numbers?

kenk

Lurker
Aug 16, 2010
New Droid 2 owner here. This forum has taught me sooo much about my new phone. Thanks!

My problem: When I look up "Me" in Contacts (not in Edit mode) it does not display my phone numbers. It displays all my other contact information except the phone numbers.

When I go into Edit mode they are there (Home, Work, & Mobile). They are also listed in my Gmail contacts.

Is there any way for the "Me" contact to display my own phone numbers?

Thanks,

Ken

Are you saying a contact called "me" or your name with the phone number?

There is no "me" contact that comes by default, but you can certainly create one. It's been a long ago since I set up my Android, but I *think* it set up a default contact with my name and my phone number. If not, then again you can quickly create one.

Edit: I think I understand your issues a bit more. When you view your contact you should see your phone #'s. If you don't see them, it may be because you have multiple contacts listed for yourself, each one separated with the email / phone #s. Look at the contact in Gmail and make sure there are no duplicates. Use the "find duplicates" feature in Gmail to merge them. That should solve your problem.

Upvote 0
Let me try to clarify. When I got the Droid 2 I didn't enter any contacts directly into the Droid 2. Instead I imported my Palm contacts into Gmail Contacts, and then let the Droid 2 sync with the Gmail Contacts to transfer them to the phone. Only this evening I realized that for a Gmail Contact to be synced to the Droid 2 I had to have them in the "My Contacts" group, otherwise they weren't synced (downloaded) to the Droid 2.

I have a Gmail Contact (on the web) that contains my name (Ken Kxxxx), my home phone, my mobile phone, my work phone, my work mobile phone, my work e-mail, my home e-mail, my work address, my home address, and a fairly long note with information I keep in that contact.

It doesn't contain a nickname, though Gmail Contacts provides that option.

When my Droid 2 synced with Gmail Contacts all of the contacts in "My Contacts" were uploaded to my Droid 2, but for some reason on the Droid 2 the contact with my information (listed in the first paragraph above) is labeled as "Me", it doesn't show my real name, it doesn't show any of my phone numbers, but it does show my e-mail addresses, the work address, home address, and that long note that I have.

When I select Edit for that particular contact, it then shows my real name (Ken Kxxxx), my phone numbers, .... When I save it, it once again doesn't show my real name, nor does it show my phone numbers.

BTW, when I call my Droid 2 from my work mobile phone, my Droid 2 says that its getting a call from "Me".

If it helps, my Droid 2 contacts show that it has 3 links: Facebook: Ken Kxxxx, Google: Ken Kxxxx, and Phone Contacts: Me.

When I go to Gmail Contacts on the web it still lists that particular contact as Ken Kxxxx - there is no indication of "Me" in that contact.

I just don't understand why the Droid 2 would hide my own phone numbers. Its really odd.

Upvote 0
I have this same issue with other contacts besides myself. Some of the contacts don't show phone numbers when viewing the contacts, even though they are there when editing. Any other ideas on what is happening?

One note, this seemed to happen for contacts that I deleted the "phone" contact for in an attempt to clean up redundant data. The data is there in the GMail contact, but it is not displaying. The behavior is not exclusive to the particular entries, though.

Upvote 0
Update: I "undeleted" the phone contacts and resync'ed them to my phone. This did not cause the phone numbers to display in the contact again. I also unlinked the phone, gmail and facebook contacts thinking that redoing the links might allow the phone number information to display again. After unlinking the contacts, the phone number would display in the phone contact only--not the gmail. When relinking the entries, the phone number display went away. This was true whether linking the gmail contact to the phone contact, or vice versa. This is very strange.

Upvote 0
I like the Facebook integration otherwise, so I'd hate to give it up altogether. I'm surprised this issue isn't getting more attention than what I've seen so far. This and a few other nuisance issues with this Droid 2 are causing me to seriously consider ditching it during 30-day return period and picking up a non-Moto.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones