• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 3 Running Tab On Rumors

"The leaked info on this device suggests that it would include a 4-inch touchscreen display capable of delivering a qHD resolution, along with a dual-core TI-OMAP4 processor."

...from the Bluetooth certification article. It'd be interesting of Moto will begin shipping different bloodlines of devices with different chipsets. Personally the OMAPs sound promising and Tegra-2 seems overdone at this point.

ps: thanks for the input nerdydesi!

Upvote 0
The Motorola droid 3 is becoming the biggest hit recently. According to some science reports, Motorola droid 3 will be equipped with dual core, better keyboard, android2.4 gingerbread, and HDMI Video out port. The most controversial thing is that it promises Verizon 4G LTE. But all of these are pure conjectures. No one gave any strong evidence.

1. The installation of Front Facing Camera:
From pictures, we can see clearly Motorola droid 3 catches up with the current of the times—the FFC.
ffc1.jpg

This is the rear side of the slider where the front facing camera installs.

ffc2.jpg

Unfortunately, the rumored 8MP camera is by no means this one. And the pixels of this front camera are not ideal.
With a view to the present environment of the entire mobile industry, the pixels for front cameras are generally between 0.3MP and 1.5 MP. Like the iPad 2 and Samsung T959V, The technicians at Global Direct Parts speculate that the front camera for Motorola droid 3 will be about 0.3MP. It’s a pity, isn’t it?

Upvote 0
droid3open.jpg

Photo from: Motorola Droid 3

I don't know if I'm sold on the potential keyboard yet.
I'm with you on the keyboard. I require a USEABLE physical keyboard on a phone, and that's why there's an LG Ally in my pocket vs a Droid or Droid 2. If the keyboard is good, I'll likely have this phone as my next one. Unless LG or somebody else steps up with a similar device with a better keyboard.
I'll also watch the bootloader, etc-if I can't root and rid the phone of the bloatware-I won't have it.
JL

Upvote 0
Juicy...i hope the camera facts are false. Otherwise if it is dual core, LTE, and Gingerbread, I could be all in on this phone. Hopefully it will come with an unlocked boot loader. Moto's due for another hugely successful phone like the droid 1 was.

My contract was up on 3/18, and I'm holding out for something like this. The Galaxy S II would be my next choice the way i see its specs right now...and the S II will be unlocked if the world doesn't turn upside down.

Joe

Upvote 0
This phone interests me......i have a droid X but i admit i miss the keyboard and the 4.3" screen is a bit too big for me......while the 3.5" is a bit too small so i'm hoping this phone strikes a happy medium.....if it has LTE, i may early upgrade in an attempt to get grandfathered into any increased data costs....i'll be watching!

Upvote 0
My standards:
1) KB
2) FFC to video chat the wife
3) Dual Core to support movies and games to the TV while using the screen. Droid X cannot do the screen and TV out at the same time.
4) HDMI out to support movies and games to TV while on the road
5) After droid X, only 4"+ so 4" will work
6) 4G

Finally a phone that meets my requirements! I'll purchase (if it has 4G). I'd think anything coming out in 4th quarter would be 4G.
What is the deal with everyone wanting a high MP FFC? What is higher better for? I.e. if the phone is making a video call, isn't lower better due to bandwidth requirements? Or are people wanting it for pictures? Streaming a 2mp camera is going to be choppy unless you have a very good signal isn't is?

Upvote 0
From a 240x320 2.8" screen to the Droid X without a keyboard was not too bad. The large screen made up for a lot. However, I do miss a physical KB. I hate tabbing between fields on a soft KB and you don't know what the next field is. With a physical KB, the screen stays full and you tab with the arrow keys. Nice. I'd like to go back to a KB.

Upvote 0
I'm really hoping this phone has an LTE radio in it. I cannot invest in a phone without 4G but love having the slide-keyboard.
I'm with you on the keyboard. I require a USEABLE physical keyboard on a phone... If the keyboard is good, I'll likely have this phone as my next one.
I do miss a physical KB. ... I'd like to go back to a KB.
i admit i miss the keyboard... if it has LTE, i may early upgrade
"How 'real' do you feel the LTE to Battery Life trade-off is?"
I will say the poor battery life of my TB disappoints me... I would be willing to keep LTE to sacrifice battery life... But I agree with you that I need a physical keyboard.
For me its simple ... keyboard or BUST.
I am VERY anxiously holding out for this phone... I've become spoiled by a physical keyboard. I have a Thunderbolt now...
Now, I'm really hoping it will have LTE... But please let it have LTE!
From these quotes, it is obvious to the people who use cellphones and that read these forums that a full-function top-end 4G Android smart-phone with a TRUE QWERTY KEYBOARD is really needed. I checked yesterday and ATT does not have one. Why is there any question that what is obvious to every true user reading this post would not be obvious to vzw -- and its forum shills?

As for the battery drain v. LTE issues: I had a TB and gave it back because of battery issues and bloatware. Cost me $70 but I am now so glad I did. The Droid 3 -- unless vzw is just toying with us -- will be the phone I have been hoping for ever since my LG v9800 contract expired. What, 3 years ago? I was constantly backspacing my texts with the TB. Real pain... I did, at the very end, begin to feel that the battery issues were probably solvable. The bloatware was more annoying -- and I have never rooted a phone. Two weeks just wasn't enough time to work all that out with confidence. The Droid 3 needs a slightly stronger battery, maybe about 1.8 AH, and a simple shortcut switch to disable the LTE seek function when not being used. Other well-known battery-saving tricks would do the rest.

There simply can be no good reason that the Droid 3 would not have 4G LTE, GSM sim card, and its trademark keyboard. If it doesn't, that can only mean that vzw does not put its customers first.

Wouldn't that be a huge surprise to everybody??! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I seriously doubt it will have 4G LTE. It's not technically impossible but it will make phone hugely thick with physical keyboard in it. Just look at the thickness of Tbolt, Charge and Revolution soon to be released, they are all thick even without keyboard. I think Bionic will be Motorola's only LTE phone this year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones