1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Droid 3 Running Tab On RumorsGeneral

1. bsweetness

bsweetness Well-Known Member

The Droid 3 was recently benchmarked. The device that was used was running Gingerbread.
  2. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

Post Updated. June can't come fast enough!
  3. Beaker491

Beaker491 Well-Known Member

Is this phone likely to come to the uk, and have more than 512mb ram? I really want a phone with the omap4 in it, but all we've got coming out over here so far is the lg optimus 3d (or at&t thrill 4g, as its called in the US), but that only has 512mb, personally i wouldn't have thought thats enough for a dual core phone.....

Thanks

Ian
  4. No 4G LTE is a bummer. Only way im buying this phone if its vanilla android with not lock boot. I swear Motorola done lost their way.!
  5. bsweetness

Then you should prepare not to buy the phone.

Everyone talks about Motorola "losing their way," but honestly, Blurless, unencrypted phones were never their way. How many Android phones of note have they released that were vanilla with an unencrypted bootloader? All of one, the original Droid. And the only reason for that was because it was a "Google Experience" phone with a new version of the OS and vanilla is mandated by Google for that. Even the international version - the Milestone - got an encrypted bootloader. Google now has the Nexus line for experience phones, so the likelihood of a vanilla phone dropping independently of the Nexus name isn't as high as it once was unless the manufacturer wants to do it (and most don't because they believe the skins help them to stand out from the crowd...what they don't seem to realize is that they tend to make them stand out from the crowd in a negative way...but I digress).

I dislike Blur as much as the next person, and I hate the encrypted bootloader even more, but I love the build quality and phone quality of Motorolas. But one should always expect Blur and an encrypted bootloader. The original Droid was the exception to the rule. Sure Motorola said they'd be willing to have the bootloaders be unlockable if the carriers want it, but who really thinks that Verizon wants unencrypted bootloader? And before someone brings up the Xoom, that's a Google Experience device since it was the first to come with Honeycomb. The bootloader had to be unlockable, like the original Droid.

Moral of the story - always expect Blur and an encrypted bootloader on Motorola phones until you definitively hear otherwise because, with only one exception, that's what they always do. There's no reason to expect the Droid 3 to be any different.
  6. pyrofreak

pyrofreak New Member

Clementine_3 likes this.
  7. Beaker491

Beaker491 Well-Known Member

Is the droid 3 nenamark a good result then, or poor for a dual core device?

Thanks

Ian
  8. bsweetness

redraider1 likes this.
  9. TC_Mits

TC_Mits Member

Looks super! Thank you for the tip. Will definitely check it out.
  10. TC_Mits

TC_Mits Member

HTC To Cease Locking Their Devices Bootloaders

Too much to expect, I suppose, that this could affect the D3? Moto/Vzw probly couldn't move that fast even if they did want to. And will vzw now refuse to carry unencrypted HTC android smartphones?
  11. 1324356565

1324356565 Well-Known Member

Who cares about the things that the phone does! Does it come in white?! Does it have higher GB's and MP's on the camera!? Will there be an app store?! Cool cases?! Does it have a fruit on the back? (perhaps an apple) I am an apple fan and this is all I care about. Actually all I need it to do is have an apple logo on it and Ill buy it.
  12. mvale085

mvale085 New Member

This phone may not come with LTE but is anyone else thinking of a Droid 3 Pro with LTE? Maybe the kinks and size issues can not be worked out by this phones release date but I'm sure given time we could be looking at a Pro with LTE and maybe a little stronger of a processor. :) I can only hope lol
  13. bsweetness

The Droid 3 has showed up in the Verizon database...with Froyo?

DROID3 Pops Up in Verizon System, Only Running Froyo? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Hopefully that's not true. It was running Gingerbread when it was benchmarked a couple weeks ago. I can understand releasing phones with a previous version of the OS one, two, three, or even four months out from the release of a new version. Development takes time. But if the Droid 3 drops with Froyo six months after Gingerbread was officially released, that's just ridiculous.
  14. dco717

dco717 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it will be shipped with 2.2
  15. bsweetness

Already posted the link in the rumors thread earlier today, but here it is again for those popping in here:

DROID3 Pops Up in Verizon System, Only Running Froyo? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Definitely shows Froyo in the system. While it's not a deal breaker for me (because an update to Gingerbread would definitely be a given at this point), it would be nice if it's a mistake. The Droid 3 was recently benchmarked running 2.3, but who knows what Motorola is up to at this point.
  16. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

yeah i think all of that Froyo jazz should be taken with a grain of salt. If it launches with Froyo...so be it. Like the above said. you know an update to GB will hit it soon.
  17. SSinisterSS

SSinisterSS Well-Known Member

how soon do phones get released after they show up in verizon's systems? few weeks?
  18. bsweetness

It can vary from what I've seen, but it's typically a sign that it's not too far off. All indications are a late June release for the Droid 3.
  19. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Looks sweet.. Wish it had 4g.
  20. dco717

dco717 Well-Known Member

Yah when Droid 2 gets gb first
  21. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Well-Known Member Developer

IIRC, Google is calling 2.3 Gingerbread a "mistake." I would assume it will come shipped with 2.2 Froyo until 2.4 Gingerbread is ready for release, then we'll see an update.
  22. bsweetness

That's the first time I've ever heard that. There was speculation for awhile that something might be up with 2.3 when it took so long to start being released for any phones besides the Nexus One and the Nexus S, but now a few other phones have been released with it and updates have been coming out for others. So I seriously doubt that's the reason.
  23. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

yeah i haven't heard that at all either.
  24. F150FAN

F150FAN Well-Known Member

Gingerbread has been a nice addition on my DX. Phone seems to run much smoother now. I haven't heard them call it a mistake either. How could it be? Google made it and pushed it to the Nexus line. It can't be that big of a mistake.
    redraider1 likes this.