Droid 4 release date?General

Last Updated:

1. DROIDing

DROIDing Well-Known Member

I can't really complain a TON about pricing... it's only $100 more than the usual $199 upgrade price they have charged for years, and it's A LOT MORE PHONE for the money, not to mention 4G is huge, and I don't have tiered data, so I'll be downloading my butt off :)

2. cbtk18

cbtk18 Active Member

So this thing is wider yet shorter than the razor? Thats a little dissapointing; I was hoping that at 4" this phone was going to be a little smaller (and thus more pocket friendly) than the mega motorolas they like to put out.
  3. sh1ft3d

sh1ft3d New Member

From what I've seen, the droid4 looks like a razr with a slide out keyboard except the physical dimensions aren't quite the same (droid4 a little wider as already mentioned) and the display uses same tech as droid3. Color me a little disappointed, but hopefully the older screen means the battery will perform better than razr. I'm still holding out hope that this will be phone for me after sitting on my bb tour for over 2 years.
  4. PittCaleb

PittCaleb Well-Known Member

AFAIK, the Nexus line is the only one with NFC included - the S on T-Mobile/ATT and the soon to be released Nexus on VZW.

I have the original Droid, 1st in line on launch day 2 years ago. I don't need a new phone as much as I used to as I currently also have a Galaxy Tab, thus the phone 'needs' aren't quite as great as they used to be.

If I am to get a new phone, it MUST have NFC capabilities. Not just getting a faster phone with more memory (Lord knows how limited the Droid is!). I want the advances in technology.

Does anyone know if the Droid 4 will have NFC or are we still at a wait and see?

5. dr01d3tte

dr01d3tte Well-Known Member

Why is it that sliders are never quite as good tech/spec-wise as the non-sliders? Would it kill a manufacturer to put out a top of the line phone that happens to be a slider, instead of going 80% on the other things and featuring a slider?
    RideZeLitenin likes this.
  6. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 VIP Member VIP Member

What makes you say they did that with the D4? No NFC? Non-removable battery?

I feel this phone is perfect for my needs! 1GB RAM, 1.2GHz dual core, 4" (as opposed to 4.3"+), 4G LTE, 8MP shooter. I think it's got great specs!

I only hope the battery life is at LEAST 12 hours, and our dev community can root it so I can get a vanilla GB ROM on it. I'm also going to reserve judgement on it's dimensions until I get my hands on it. I haven't played with the RAZR either, so I have no point of reference.
  7. PittCaleb

8. AMTrombley0924

No we don't, which makes my point further.
  9. DROIDing

Great point!

ANYONE heard whether or not the December 8th release is still on?

I have a friend who works at Verizon and said it isn't in their system yet.
  10. JCDenton771

JCDenton771 Active Member

I think December 8th or 9th is when the Galazy Nexus is coming now and I heard December 22nd now for Droid 4. These were the latest dates from droid life.
  11. DROIDing

Awesome, I saw that last night too, I appreciate it. Looks like the December 22nd date is much more definitive.
  12. RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin Well-Known Member

As long as it's around Christmastime, lol. This phone is looking like a swell upgrade for peeps like me who like their slideout keyboards
  13. PittCaleb

The Nexus is now being reported as having NFC blocked by VZW. Doesn't give any hope whatsoever that the Droid 4 will have NFC capabilities.

Let me rephrase, NFC works, you can "bump" and share things with other phones. But they have disabled Google Wallet and won't permit it to be installed.

Not happy at all...

14. nickdroid3

nickdroid3 Member

hey, do you guys have anything against the droid 3? i mean it feels like the perfect size and has pretty good specs i think. the droid 4 seems like its going to be a brick in your pocket and is it even going to launch with ICS? i think they could have done a better job but... still seems great.

by the way, what is NFC!!!
  15. pragmatous

pragmatous Well-Known Member

16. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Looks like the "confirmed" 12/8 was BS. Agreed though on the fixed battery.

Have the Razr now and have gotten used to the 4G and faster performance, but having issues with a fixed battery. Prefer extended batteries.
  17. rushmore

I have the Droid 3 and is a nice device, but no 4g and the movement blurring is really starting to bug me now, since getting used to the Razr. Performance is also noticeably slower than the Razr.

Now that my area has 4g and after using it on the Razr, kind of hard to go back to only 3g as an option.

Fixed battery aside, the Razr rocks hard, so the Droid 4 probably will too. Questions though are what display tech and is the battery the same set up as the Razr.
  18. AMTrombley0924

C'mon, give us an official announcement today, VZW! I want to get my some Droid 4 goodness tomorrow!
  19. zedster

zedster Well-Known Member

20. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Well-Known Member

21. keepfiring

keepfiring Well-Known Member

22. JCDenton771

JCDenton771 Active Member

23. RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin Well-Known Member

If that February 2nd date is true..... then DAMN ;(
  24. fastharryDOTcom

fastharryDOTcom Well-Known Member

I agree...would love to see if this has non removable batt as razr. Thats a deal breaker for me..
  25. rushmore

If same display tech as Droid 3, not worth the upgrade IMO, but if same as Razr, different opinion.