Droid 5 ???General

Last Updated:

1. bazent

bazent New Member

Any news on a Droid 5 coming out soon?

I have the Droid 2, and it's time for an upgrade, but I know as soon as I get the Droid 4, the Droid 5 will come out.

Has anyone heard any rumors yet?

Thanks,

Vince

Advertisement
  2. xTye

xTye Well-Known Member

Google didn't show any results. So I doubt one is coming anytime soon.
  3. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 VIP Member VIP Member

Moto said at the end of last year that they were going to ease up on phone releases this year. The D4 might be their QWERTY baby for a while.
  4. silverfang77

silverfang77 Well-Known Member

Which might mean an outside chance at getting an official Jelly Bean?
  5. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Well-Known Member Developer

I personally think we will see JB from Moto within 6 months. Other may disagree, but that's what I'm saying.

I'm sure we'll see JB from the devs here soon though.
  6. AMTrombley0924

I definitely see us getting JB. It isn't that large of a leap for ICS-able phones. While I hope that imnotmikal is right, I don't see us getting it until next year, simply because the D4 isn't a super popular phone, and they will get JB to the RAZR and the Bionic first. Not to mention whatever flagship phones they add to their portfolio between then and now as well.
  7. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Well-Known Member Developer

I will, however, edit my statement.
    IF Moto released another KB phone (DROID 5?), then I'm afraid we will see the same fate the DROID3 has met in terms of ICS.
  8. meindc

meindc New Member

If anyone does hear of rumors of a new one with KB, I hope you'll post to this thread and share :) Dying to upgrade my 2 and like another poster, don't want to go to the 4 only to have the 5 come out a month later. Any new rumors?
  9. bazent

bazent New Member

10. bazent

bazent New Member

I really want to replace my Droid 2. Unless I hear something I might be changing to the Iphone 5 which should be announced on 9/12.

Not to crazy about switching to Apple, would like to stay with a Droid 5 if it's going to happen.

Anything?
  11. StanGetsIt

StanGetsIt Member

You said earlier that you were holding out for a KB phone, an iPhone 5 ain't that!

12. AMTrombley0924

Still haven't heard anything. For the forseeable future, the best QWERTY phones are the D4 and the Photon Q. Why, may I ask are you waiting for 5? I am wholly happy with it, and its confirmed to be getting JB
  13. JoeFresco

JoeFresco Well-Known Member

The Samsung Stratosphere 2 is coming out "any day now." It'll be a Snapdragon S4 keyboard phone. That's what I'd get over the Droid 4.
  14. moto_man

moto_man New Member

Many who have Droid QWERTY keyboard models are wondering if and when Motorola will be releasing a DROID 5.

As of this date, it seems there is no news from Motorola. I have tried contacting their Droid 4 product manager and received information back that appeared to be from a lower level person with no knowledge or product migration and improvement. The only thing they did, was to verify the Droid 4 does have a speaker issue and they do not intend to fix it, wait for the next keyboard model......but how long will that be?

I suggest all who want a newer and more up to date Droid with a qwerty keyboard review a post I have with the same title as this reply and on that site you can post what you what like to see in newer specs on a DROID 5.

You can get to that post if you Google [ droid 4 migration model forum zarum ]

Let's hope Motorola and Google follow through with a DROID 5 soon.

Mike

15. JoeFresco

The problem with the Droid series is that Motorola has moved away from removable batteries. I only have a fraction of hope that Google might change that, at least for the Droid 5.

What I've heard rumored is that Motorola flushed out the RAZR products it had in the pipeline and that Google was going to be much more heavily invested in the design of future products. If that is true, I think it may be quite a while before the Droid 5 arrives (>6 months).
  16. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

This is the latest rumor of a Droid 5 that I've seen. Hopefully it will happen.
  17. JoeFresco

That isn't a rumor. That's 100% speculation simply based on the fact that Verizon has produced Motorola QWERTY Droid models so they will continue to. At this point, it's probably around 50/50 for being true in the next 6 months... Motorola will make changes to their Droid design post-Google, and the last truly groundbreaking QWERTY Android device was the original Droid. From that point on, it has been slates.

And with Google's recent love affair with non upgradeable storage and nonremovable batteries, I don't have a lot of hope for Motorola at all (or HTC). At this point, I just hope LG and Samsung don't get sucked in.
  18. whitecollar

whitecollar Clericus Geekicus VIP Member

19. silverfang77

silverfang77 Well-Known Member

Jelly Bean soak test! Official update likely within two weeks. Look forward to it.
  20. Rastor

Rastor Well-Known Member

21. JoeFresco

Interesting. I can't tell, but it looks like the phone might have a removable battery. I'm shocked if that's the case because it's been something like 2 years since Motorola released a phone with a removable battery. I'd consider this.
  22. SpecialEd

SpecialEd Well-Known Member

Without a removable battery, what do people do when the phone hangs? Is there a reset button with a paperclip? My D3 goes to black screen and hangs when I open the keyboard, so I am dying for a new phone. It works ok as long as the keyboard never opens. Even after days with Swype I am awful and slow.

Anyone with a D4, did the flat keys work ok? I like the D1 and D3 style better at first pass. Really I miss my Treo keyboard most :-(
  23. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Most phones/tablets have hard reset functionality programmed in when the user holds the power button for approximately 15-20 seconds.
    SpecialEd likes this.
  24. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

It takes a while to get used to any non-physical kb, keep at it and try a few out. I still miss my D4's kb, it was, by far, the best kb of the Droids. I still have it sitting here, I had an issue with the power button so fired up a Razr HD I had gotten as a back-up. After I did that I got the D4 working again but stuck with the Razr for screen size, it's got a much nicer screen. I think I will stick with non-physical kb phones as they are lighter and I'm doing OK with SwiftKey and Kii. Never thought I'd say that but I really thought the (Moto) kb phones were long gone. My son still uses and loves his D4, I'll send him mine when his dies or he may want a D5 when it's released. I think he will be one of the last, true physical kb hold-outs.
    But to answer your question, yes, the D4 kb is really nice!!
    SpecialEd likes this.
  25. SpecialEd

SpecialEd Well-Known Member

I swear I tried that on my D3 but it did not work to reboot. Maybe they don't install that if you can pull the battery?

I am surprised at how much the thing would hang even before the keyboard issue. Now that I have run a hard reset and have avoided installing anything, the D3 is responsive and rock-solid stable. Blame the apps!

Looking forward to a possible D5. Too bad it won't be a nexus phone :-(