Droid Ally, wanting to switch to Droid X

Last Updated:

1. Poseidon126

Poseidon126 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I bought the LG Ally yesterday, supposedly within the Android family.

Then afterwards just found out about the Droid X... read up on it, sounds like the Verizon/Motorola superior version of the iPhone.

Is it worth bringing the Droid Ally back ASAP and swap it for a Droid X?

=)

Advertisement
  2. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

I would definitely.
    I actually returned a Droid Incredible, and ended up getting the X in the long run.
    Returned the Incredible after 29 days. Paid the $35 restocking fee.
    I did not return the Droid Incredible because of the X initially.
    I had several major hardware and software issues with my Incredible. The main issue was my Incredible's camera, it kept freezing up completely after every photo taken.
    Used a dreaded Storm1 for about a month, til the X came out.
    It was the best move I ever made, even though the storm made it a very painful wait.
    If you have to have a physical keyboard, I would wait on the Droid 2 this August.
    Otherwise, the DROID X is more bang & boom for your dollar.
    The touchscreen is very responsive. Typing on the X is a dream come true.
    One thing many people are doing is replacing the stock launcher on the X with LauncherPro or ADW. (Both on Android Market)
    The replacement launchers seem to smooth and melt away lag.
    Just don't get the Verizon screen protectors, the ones they have DO NOT cover the entire glass area. I was told by 2 different VZ employees that theirs DID, so I promptly returned them.
    Get online and go with something like a Steinheil Screen Protector.
    Very nice quality for total screen protection.

Good luck, let us know what you end up deciding.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention, you don't have to hold the X a certain way to make phone calls. The X's reception is really really good. No deathgrip here! :D

3. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

One word: YES

4. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

What are you waiting for? Everyone on here (well, mostly everyone) will say YES emphatically.

Good luck finding one, however.

5. esn

esn Well-Known Member

I had the Ally and YES get the X much more advanced device than the Ally is. You will find the X to be much bigger than the Ally but thinner. This phone is truly amazing what it can do compared to the Ally. If you read up on the ally LG has not given it much support since launch and the device is having several issues since launch.

6. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

I want to be gentle with you as possible, but I have to ask, how the hell did you purchase the LG Ally, than shortly after discovered the existence of the X? I mean I assume you either purchased the phone online, or in-store, and with the major marketing campaign that has kicked off for the X must have been bombarded with the device in some way, shape or form at one point in time?

Considering the lack of features the Ally has to that of the X, and I assume you're already paying for a data package, you owe it to yourself to upgrade....no question.

7. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I think everyone would say yes, you might as well get your moneys worth for the data you are paying. If the X is too big for you, then I would get the Incredible. Both of them are great and I would prefer them over the Ally.

8. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

I would definitely upgrade

I was initially sold on the Incredible but then they had all the backorder issues....when I saw the X was releasing shortly after, I decided to wait since I was waiting out my AT&T contract anyway. Best decision I ever made. This phone rocks my socks :)

9. nlitenme

nlitenme Well-Known Member

Go into a store with working devices and try both the DX & Dinc. This will be the best way for you to answer your own question.

As far as my (actually my wife's, who's a BIG LG fan & has been carry one or another for years) experience went: She wants to upgrade to a smartphone & got excited when the Ally came out. We went to the store, she tried it out, wasn't impressed, tried the Dinc & is now anxiously awaiting that (the DX is way too big for her).

10. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

I agree with the post above mine

the ally is a cute little phone, finally had the chance to play with one
    but you should go to the story and try out the Dinc and Dx
    and go from there

biased, i'd say get the X
    but it may prove to be too big for you so then i would recommend
    a droid incredible

The ally had some lag that i didnt like and i dont like LG's UI but good luck either way

11. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Agree the only way you will know what you like the best is to go play with them in the store and then decide after that. Either phone(inc or X) will be way better then the ally

12. will123w

will123w Member

I have an ally and I'm getting a droid x on august 15th. The phone is just too slow for me in every day use.

13. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

Another factor to take in...
    The Incredible uses an older 1Ghz Processor than the processor in the X.
    Droid Incredible = 1Ghz Snapdragon which is 65nM.
    Droid X - 1Ghz Texas Instruments Omap 3630 which is 45nM.
    The lower the nM #, the less power hungry the processor will be.
    Thus longer battery life with the X, even with its larger screen.
    The X also runs cooler due to the 45nM.
    Smaller resistors generate less heat.
    I am an X Incredible owner. See what I did there? LoL
    I owned the Incredible for a month.

You can get an X no problem, My brother just ordered his here at the Verizon. It will not be a long wait, compared to waiting on the Incredible. Let me tell you up front, the wait on the X is well worth it.
    Take everyone's advice and hop on over to your local verizon and play with both phones for yourself.
    The construction & quality/materials are superior with the X, as well as reception.
    The camera app on the X blows away the Incredible's... Panoramic mode, etc. Mechanical shutter on X's.
    HDMI out.
    I can go all day about what makes the X a better choice... but it will be you in the longrun who will have to decide what is best and what will work for you.
    Let us know what you end up doing! ;) :)

14. Poseidon126

Poseidon126 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you guys so much, really helping me fall more inlove with the Droid X =)

I don't mind large phones at all, it's just the physical keyboard I'm not a huge fan of (Thought I would like it with the Ally, first phys. KB I ever had).

15. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

I said this before and I will say it again

Come over to the dark side :)

Hope to see you posting here soon about your experiences with the droid X