1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

droid and handcent - contact picture problems

Last Updated:

1. rock87

rock87 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, I'm having a problem with Handcent on my Droid. It seems like only one or two of my contact's pictures have carried over to Handcent, so whenever I get a new message or I look in the app, it just has the generic picture with the question mark. Is this happening to anyone else? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. droiiiiid

droiiiiid Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's happening to me too. It's a pain, and I'll be uninstalling soon if it keeps up.

3. windstrings

windstrings Well-Known Member

All my stuff shows up....

I don't know if this will help...

But last night I linked via usb to my laptop and deleted all the .jpg files out of DCIM\.thumbnails

Then reopened my gallery and allowed them to all be rebuilt.... "reboot the phone first".

Somehow mine had gotten corrupted and it showed about 851 .jpg files even though I only had a little over 400... Handcent pulls them up instantly!

When I moved my card from my other phone to the droid I didn't like the file structure so I made new directories for my pics and videos.. but regardless "where" those files are, the thumbnails are stored in above mentioned directory and the pathways can get corrupted if you manually moved stuff.

If you get in there and it appears you have the proper number of thumnail .jpgs for the pics you have, you may just need to go a reinstall of handcent as something may have changed since your install.

4. Crewski

Crewski New Member

Here is my little insight on what probably happened. Most likely, the majority of your contact pictures have been downloaded from the profile pictures of Facebook (I'm in the same boat). As it stands right now, Handcent does not recognize these as contact pictures, therefor you end up with the generic one. Over on the handcent website within the forums, the developer is currently looking for beta testers for Facebook integration, which I assume will involve contact pics.

5. hatchetdawg

hatchetdawg Member

Figured out the solution and root cause.

Cause:Handcent checks your google contacts.

Solution: Since most of us had our contacts loaded onto the phone before setting our accounts on the phone.... export your contacts to SD..... then import them from SD to your google account.

Anyone that has a facebook picture in your contact list will now have one in Handcent.

6. curtdragon

curtdragon Active Member

Thanks this worked well

7. hatchetdawg

hatchetdawg Member

:-/

Seems like 2.01 broke it again

8. tracii_amazinggg

tracii_amazinggg Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread, but

i chose not to have any of my contacts synced to fb so none of those pics are there, but any pics from my album that i syned to contacts myself arent showing up either.

is there any way to fix this?

9. gringojason

gringojason Member

Syncmypix is a free app that works great. Syncs FB contacts with Gmail contacts. After I synced everything up, a quick uninstall/re-install of Handcent had all of them showing up.

10. Mominator

Mominator Well-Known Member

But if you do not want to sync your FB with your contacts, you are SOL?

11. Heathbar

Heathbar Active Member

This is a problem for me, suddenly my Handcent started showing FB contact pics (which I do NOT want). I think it happened after I logged into FB through the Gallery app, I thought I was able to fix it by un-linking my contacts from FB, but that only worked for the "People" widget. It didn't solve the Handcent problem.

12. Marc Wonderland

Marc Wonderland Well-Known Member

I thought I was having this problem for the MyTouch 3G and Facebook is not a problem because I do not use the same email address for my FB as I do with the phone. Anywho, I thought I had this proble as well. All I did was close Handcent and then relaunch and the contact picture showed up. I guess it just needs to refresh. That is what I came up with.