• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid and Itunes

I used the Moto Media Link the other day for the first time to sync my itunes library, and it worked great, (once i figured out how to tell it which playlists I wanted synched), Even got all my iTunes purchased albums. By the way, Motorola updated the software a couple days ago via automatic update, so if you tried it a while ago, you may want to try again.

Upvote 0
Ok, instead of transferring your entire ITunes library on your Droid, what about transferring your favorite playlists; its much easier and you only get the music you want right?

Even before I had my Droid I've been using a little program called "ITunes Export UI" and it is the fastest and best way to export all or individual ITunes playlists with or without the actually music files.

I would suggest choosing with the music files and it will export the Playlist and Files and place them in a folder together, than just take that folder and put it in your music folder on your Droid; the next time you open your Media player click Playlist and you will see your newly imported Playlist.

You can download it here

Upvote 0
I used the Moto Media Link the other day for the first time to sync my itunes library, and it worked great, (once i figured out how to tell it which playlists I wanted synched), Even got all my iTunes purchased albums. By the way, Motorola updated the software a couple days ago via automatic update, so if you tried it a while ago, you may want to try again.

Maybe I'm doing things wrong, but I couldn't find a way to sync only certain playlists with the Moto Media software. It looked to be an all or nothing. I need more granularity than that.

So far I haven't seen anything better than doubleTwist that actually works.

Upvote 0
ItYou can get all you itunes music on your droid rather quickly. All you do is connect your droid to your computer then go to music on your computer click the itnes folder then the iTunes media folder. Now go to computer under the start menu on your computer open up what ever USB you have the Droid on and drag the iTunes music folder you have into the mymusic folder on your Droid and they will copy and play. It works for all other music too such as limewire which would be stored under documents

Upvote 0
ItYou can get all you itunes music on your droid rather quickly. All you do is connect your droid to your computer then go to music on your computer click the itnes folder then the iTunes media folder. Now go to computer under the start menu on your computer open up what ever USB you have the Droid on and drag the iTunes music folder you have into the mymusic folder on your Droid and they will copy and play. It works for all other music too such as limewire which would be stored under documents

I wouldn't touch limewire with a powered off windows computer....

Upvote 0

I tried this a month ago when I first got this phone. I thought that the software on this program was poorly constructed for those of us with a large library. I tried many many times to get it to take my entire 30,000 song collection and it crashed every time.

I ultimately dragged and dropped the albums I wanted onto the Droid and while not ideal, it worked fine. The only issue was most of my album art didn't make the cut, which is aggravating at best. I use MixZing Lite and it goes out and gets pretty much all of the album artwork I don't have on the phone - the only thing is that it hogs bandwith and ultimately battery power so unless I'm hooked up to a charge I roll with the stock music player and almost no album art.

Upvote 0
Unless something has changed in iTunes recently (and it might, I don't use it too much) it does not support syncing to non-Apple devices. So I would expect no direct sync from iTunes to the Droid.

Also, the droid won't play any DRM audo files, so unless you've purchased the unlocked versions of songs (DRM removed) they also won't play.

I'm not as clear on formats...I don't know if the Droid will play the native format used by iTunes or not (assuming no DRM).

iTunes DRM'ed music is in .m4p format, TV shows and rental movie in .m4v.

Apple says customer can make copy of the purchased music (both DRM'ed and non-DRM), I tried, time-consuming to say!

Good the iTunes Agent and DoubleTwist, but have no idea of the protected files.

Upvote 0
Ok, finally found that you choose *what* to sync *after* hitting sync in the Motorola tool. Now I'm liking it. Was able to sync more music than previous on my Droid because previously, other programs would lock up. So far so good with the Moto software. I just chose my existing iTunes playlists and away it went. Much better status on what it is doing too unlike doubleTwist. Sometimes doubleTwist is hard to know if it locked up or not on a large sync.

Upvote 0
In my windows-centric opinion, apple has something going on that makes transfers to and from the droid in bulk slow or stop. Spend 6-8 hours and used all of the various programs (and also tried simply drag and drop) and the computer and phone froze every time. Tired moto syn on my pc laptop, worked perfectly.

Upvote 0
my phone never freezes doing large, bulk transfers. right now i'm using the motorola media link software for my 15000 mp3 library and only syncing smart playlists made in iTunes specifically for my Droid and it's working fine, albeit slow.

I haven't played with the MML since the update i downloaded a few days ago, but i remember using it the first time to sync my droid smart playlists in iTunes and the software itself was slow reading my library, navigating my library, etc.

i have never seen any of the cover art issues described here, but perhaps that is because i embed the album art in my mp3s and I don't let iTunes retreive it either (I use tag & rename which gets its info from amazon or freedb).

Upvote 0
The Motorola app doesn't suck completely. It also deals with video conversion and lifting photos from the phone for you.

It WILL synch with your iTunes, including preserving playlists. I'm talking non DRM. Not sure what happens if there's DRM from iTunes store.

Now, I swear it brought over Audible but I need to do more testing.

Windows only and free: Motorola Media Link - Motorola USA

Another vote for Motorola Media Link.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones