• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid as a modem

Rooting with give you access to free wireless wifi tethering.. and it works great.. e.g. car full of screaming kids with iTouches needing access the internet.

For wired tether pda net is the way to go.... you can also do this for free with the CyanogenMOD ROM if you rooted.

Word of caution.... browsing all day using your phones data connection, even on the unlimited plan, will get you prorated. I mean big red is fairly tolerant... but there are a few stories floating around about those who have been billed accordingly... so be aware.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I only found one version of PDAnet - and free.
It took me a bit to install the desktop program - when I connected the usb cable and then the option on the Droid pops up asking to Mount the cable. After a few times I ignored the question and then able to install the desk top app.

I don't know how much faster Easy Tether is, but PDA net seemed fast enough on my net book. I would only use to check e-mail and such, so no more than many 10 minutes at time.

I found the App for Easy Tether.
Do I need a Desktop version for the PC?
Where's that?

And how much is the paid version for PDA net? and where do I find that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones