1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Droid as a Playstation 3 remote control??

1. NickRo

NickRo Active Member

So I searched and searched because I didn't want to duplicate a thread, but didn't find anything. So here is my question.

Since the Playstation 3 uses bluetooth, the remote that you buy in stores for it is bluetooth, and our Motorola Droids are bluetooth compatible, would it be possible for someone (not me cause I don't know how) to make an app that would enable the Droid to be a bluetooth remote for the Playstation 3??

I know there are apps to turn it into a remote, but I think this requires an separate adapter or receiver. Anyways, if anyone knows if its even possible or not, please let me know. If it is possible, does anyone want to tackle this app?? I know I would be willing to pay for it, as I'm sure others might as well.

Thanks,
    Nick

Advertisement
    :
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I don't think the Bluetooth on the PS3 and Droid are compatible. That might require root access, or may not be possible at all.
  3. NickRo

NickRo Active Member

I was afraid of that. I understand that there are several different bluetooth profiles and such, but I don't have the slightest idea what they mean and what is compatible with what. I haven't been planning on rooting my phone, but if it makes this possible, then I might have to look into it and research it more.

Thanks.
  4. ldougherty

ldougherty Well-Known Member

That would be an awesome feature.
  5. NickRo

NickRo Active Member

Bump! Hopefully someone who knows a little more about all the bluetooth stuff will stop in here and comment. Thanks.
  6. remoteshoppe

remoteshoppe Member

I know nothing about Bluetooth but a lot about PS3 control because that is the largest category of products we sell and there are several solutions that will allow you to convert an IR signal from a universal remote to the Bluetooth signal for the PS3. But there are no Bluetooth solutions for current phones or devices.

The reason I don't think using the BT radio of the Droid is possible is simply because no one has done it for the Apple iPhone yet. I am not an iPhone fan but there is an iPhone solution for just about everything. The Droid is catching up but it's still too new.

We have just brought in an iPhone to IR control solution called the RedEye and I would expect that to have PS3 control built in if it were possible. But since it does not I am assuming there's much more to it.

I hope this helps.
  7. carnadi88

carnadi88 Active Member

I was just searching for the same thing. I would love to use my phone as a remote control for both my TV and my PS3.
  8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

As of right now it is not possible. From what I understand Sony has done something with the bluetooth on the playstation to make it proprietary. That is why if you buy a non-sony wireless controller for the playstation you still have to plug an adapter into the playstation itself to use it.
  9. remoteshoppe

remoteshoppe Member

That's not true. There are several IR to Bluetooth adapters available for universal remotes that do communicate with the PS3 the same way the sixaxis controllers do with no additional components to plug in. Logitech, Schmartz, Audio Authority and many others all use Sony's Bluetooth radio specs. The problem as I understand it is that there are two things needed to utilize BT. 1) The BT radio. 2) The profile for that radio. The problem is that phones like the droid do not have support for all profiles. That is why the iPhone didn't even support stereo through NT until just recently.
  10. kteel777

kteel777 Member

This is an awsome idea and I think the most important question is are we willing to pay for it. I would. And I think a lot of others would as well.

Is there anyone out their capable of making this happen???
  11. kteel777

kteel777 Member

This is an awsome idea and I think the most important question is are we willing to pay for it. I would. And I think a lot of others would as well.

Is there anyone out their capable of making this happen???
  12. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Nokia n900 as PS3 controller (Maemo Central via Gizmodo)

Using PS3 controller on Nokia n900. (Aberration via Gizmodo)

The n900 is a beast. Too bad Maemo is far from being polished, but oh if I were a Linux developer...
  13. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Well-Known Member

14. cebomholt

cebomholt Member

It's not exactly what you want, but pocket blu is really cool. Only works for pocket-blu enabled discs though... Better than nothing-
  15. karmagedon

karmagedon Well-Known Member

ok, don't make fun of me, but does the droid have any IR capabilities? if so, nyko makes a IR remote with a usb dongle for the ps3. i am able to use my beastie harmony remote with the dongle. i'm sure the droid doesn't have IR, but i just don't know.
  16. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

No IR on the Droid. :(
  17. bilbravo

bilbravo Well-Known Member

I would like to use my Droid has a keypad for my PS3. I don't have a Bluetooth keyboard and I don't want to buy the keypad for the PS3 controller. But I hate typing messages with the controller.

There is an easy solution (buy a keypad or BT keyboard) but the BEST solution is to use my Droid :) Just isn't possible (yet?).
  18. Jon Nale

Jon Nale Well-Known Member

I don't have a PS3 so I didn't/can't test this, but I saw an app called Pocket Blu awhile back that I think acted as a PS3 blu ray remote.

App Shopper: pocket BLU (Entertainment)

Search the market for "Pocket Blu".
    EarlyMon likes this.
  19. inaz4sun

inaz4sun Well-Known Member

Yes it works with Blurays which support it. Used it on my Behold II this week with the "Inglorious Basterds" title. Worked perfectly with my PS3. Since the PS3 uses BT for remote, it seems like someone could develop an APP that would control all PS3 functions via BT, just like their own BT remote. Can't wait for it to happen. This Pocket Blu is a good start.
  20. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

That would be terrible. I dont even own a PS3 and I can tell you that you would rather buy a regular remote. You would play awful.
  21. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

I think he was referring to watching movies.
  22. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Huh? They are talking about an A/V remote for controlling video (DVD/Blu-Ray/Xvid/etc...Not actually playing games with our Droids...
  23. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

After seeing that, there's no reason why someone couldn't develop an app for iPhone/Android for this purpose.

I had this idea when I first got my Droid back in December, but after extensive searching I haven't even heard of anyone else thinking of this idea. You would think it would be a cash cow if you charged for it, so I don't know why no devs have thought of it or tried it yet.
  24. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

It can be done, but whether someone will do it is another question.
  25. avigil

avigil New Member

I'd be willing to develop this. If anyone has more info on how to go about making the bluetooth work with the ps3, please pm me.

Thanks