• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid battery issues - Charging to slowly

played with the kill-o-watt a little.

FIRST- the stupid USB block from gamestop doesn't charge the droid- seems the droid is looking for that usb negotiation for acceptable power. So I'd be weary of buying just any old usb charger. ONE time it pulled a few watts and for a split second and then gave up- so it might have been asking the charger if it could have more power but gave up when it couldn't. The display on the droid didn't say it was charging like it normally does. I couldn't get it to do it again was just that once- so not sure what was going on.

then i tried the droid charger and it drew 4 watts or 0.10 amps (I always thought watts were volts times amps- but 119v (at my house via kill-o-watt) * 0.10 amp = 11.9 watts , not .10 so I'm not sure what exactly the kill-o-watt is doing. This is the first time I ever took it out of the box to play with)

Besides the droid charger I also have a chargepod. It's basically a charger sort of octopuss - plug in on mini usb and then it splits it to 6 devices and you can get various adapters. (well hexapuss I guess- LOL). it outputs up to 3 amps. That drew 7 watts or 0.15 amps on the kill-o-watt meter. So assuming the chargepod and the moto transformers are as efficient the chargepod is giving the droid 1.5 times as much juice. So perhaps the droid would use a 1275 mA if given the chance? (850x1.5)

can someone give us (alright me :) ) the quick explaination of amps and watts?

Do you think the chargepod will ba able to handle 2 Evos and 2 headsets at the same time using a car charger?

Upvote 0
I bought the new Thunderbolt in April 2011... I can only charge my Thunderbolt on my DC adapter and that works super... but it's a pain finding someplace to charge it. I have so little charge with the ac cords that my phone loses ALL of it's charge while plugged into my laptop or plugged into an AC outlet. Since my ac cord was useless for my Thunderbolt I went and bought an additional ac cord/adapter and the same thing... not enough charge. I LOVE MY THUNDERBOLT but the battery issue is a deal breaker. I rarely make calls or use my phone for other things and I find it shut down in less then 1/2 a day... UNLESS I use the DC adapter. I don't know why a DC charger works and an AC wouldn't. I feel let down... kind of cheated by HTC and Verizon Wireless. They gave us 1/2 working technology!?!?! Bummed!

Upvote 0
Always check the specs on your chargers. Don't make assumptions. The amount of current will affect the speed of charge. USB ports on your computer are limited to 500mA which is very slow and may not be enough depending on how much your device is drawing. In general, it's best to aim for at least 1000mA/1A. Your device will draw what it needs. If you check your DC charger you'll see how many mA is supplies. Check the AC charger and I suspect you'll find that it's very low. Don't charge off your computer's USB ports.

Reactions: bluehue
Upvote 0
Hi All, new member to Android Forums.

I just wanted to let you know that if you own or are thinking of buying one of the newer laptops that are coming out, you will be happy to learn that (some) have the new USB 3.0 ports that not only has faster data transfer BUT the ports now supply up to 900 milliamps !!! This will end the long charging time.

My new Droid Bionic w/extended battery charged up from 10% to 100% in just 2.5 hours.

Hope this information is useful. :D

Upvote 0
I always top my battery off. Even if I'm at 99% before I go to bed, I'll plug it into the Motorola Cradle and hook it up via USB to the PC and charge it until I wake up the next morning. I've always kept my batteries in tip-top shape that way.
what you are doing is horribly wrong. you keep your battery in tip top shape by always keeping it at a full charge? you charge your phone overnight even if it's at a 99% charge before you go to bed? that is terrible. you will kill your battery much faster than someone who lets their battery drain completely before charging it. the way lithium ion batteries are made, they only have so many charge cycles in their life span. you use one of those charge cycles every time you charge your phone, whether it be at 99% or 1% when you put it on the charger. therefor, charging your phone when it's at 99% uses one of those charge cycles the same way charging your phone when it's at 1% does. and a lithium ion battery only has about 250 to 300 charge cycles in it's lifespan. you are charging your phone much too frequently, and therefor, you will notice your battery life lasting a much shorter amount of time after 1 year of use than someone that only charges it when necessary will after one year of use. stop doing what you're doing cause you are NOT keeping your battery in "tip top shape" by doing that

Upvote 0
I was wondering if anybody has had a problem with the the battery draining quickly since installing the latest update. I noticed yesterday that doing anything on the phone caused a rapid battery drain and I could not make it through a whole day without having to throw the phone on the charger. I have an original Motorola Droid and have had pretty good battery life previously.

Upvote 0
what you are doing is horribly wrong. you keep your battery in tip top shape by always keeping it at a full charge? you charge your phone overnight even if it's at a 99% charge before you go to bed? that is terrible. you will kill your battery much faster than someone who lets their battery drain completely before charging it. the way lithium ion batteries are made, they only have so many charge cycles in their life span. you use one of those charge cycles every time you charge your phone, whether it be at 99% or 1% when you put it on the charger. therefor, charging your phone when it's at 99% uses one of those charge cycles the same way charging your phone when it's at 1% does. and a lithium ion battery only has about 250 to 300 charge cycles in it's lifespan. you are charging your phone much too frequently, and therefor, you will notice your battery life lasting a much shorter amount of time after 1 year of use than someone that only charges it when necessary will after one year of use. stop doing what you're doing cause you are NOT keeping your battery in "tip top shape" by doing that

Sorry but you seem to be getting confused with the older Ni based batteries...

Upvote 0
I'd be wary of running a 2amp charger. Sure the amps are there, but you have no idea of the step down transformer circuit, and if the droid lith-ion can handle that type of a charge.

I could even go and explodering batteries, or render your droid useless.

Nope......... I see that there is a LOT of guessing on this forum. Fortunately, engineers DON'T guess.
The Driod, like all Smartphones, have a limiter built into the charging circuitry. I use a 10 watt 5.1Volt 2.5 amp (that's 2500 mA) iPad charger on my Droid Original. No problems whatsoever. The KEY is the voltage, NOT the amperage. In other words, DON'T plug it directly into a 110Volt wall plug. If you do, it will go, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones