Droid being replaced by Droid 2.

Last Updated:

1. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well...I'm now on my 5th Droid since July 2009, and I absolutely love the phone. Not quite sure how I ever lived without a smartphone before.

I called in because this is the second phone that the proximity sensor went out (just like the one before), so the screen stays lit the entire time I'm on the phone. I end up hitting buttons and hanging up on about 75% of the calls I'm on.

When I asked for yet another replacement the VZW rep. stated they aren't shipping anymore D1's out, but instead sending out new D2's to replace them since 9/1/10. I kind of found that hard to believe until I got the confirmation e-mail and tracking status showing delivery of 9/7/10.

Has anyone else experienced this? The CSR stated that the D2's are so new, they don't even have refurbs to send out as replacements, so they are brand new phones...just don't get the box and accessories since they use the same chargers/desktop station and car charger as the D1.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.....but I wonder what the catch is going to be.

S

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Oh theres no catch. this has been happening lately do to shortage of droids. you my friend are getting a brand new droid 2.

EDIT: Though you should check to see when your upgrade date is because Verizon would do that on the sneak tip. If its further up, they made that Droid 2 Your upgrade.

3. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

I was told the same about my warranty replacement on Friday but minutes later I got a call back stating that D2 replacement wore out of stock in all the warehouses. That they would replace it but with a D1. I'll see what I really get on Wed.

4. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

To report an issue with my droid do you call Verizon or do you have to go in store?

5. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

You can do both but I did mine over the phone.

6. bleedGreen

bleedGreen Well-Known Member

whats a great reason that I need a replacement..either through warrenty or asurion? I know ....but I really love the keyboard and why not upgrade w a faster processor and I think HD too or sumthng like that:cool:

7. jtreadwell

jtreadwell Member

Must be a regional thing. I received my replacement D1 last week. Shipment came from the DFW area. The Rep in the store said the warehouse had plenty of D1s in stock.

8. nader2013

Idk, if this happens with all droids but my video camera, everytime i take a video, has this weird spaz out flicker thing when i view it. And a lot of droids, likee mine have a messed up AUX jack.

bleedGreen likes this.
  9. bleedGreen

bleedGreen Well-Known Member

Idk( ?) whats that mean..I dont know...perhaps:cool:

10. nader2013

Haha, I'm a bad describer. I don't know hot to explain it... Anyways, what exactly does the manufactures warranty cover?

11. razorclose

razorclose Well-Known Member

If you mean that your headphone jack is messed up, then yes, that is covered by the warranty :cool:

12. nader2013

Nvm found it at DROID by Motorola Support - Motorola, Inc. USA if anybody wants it. And is there any chance Verizon will replace it with an X. I know that the droid 2 is closer to the droid 1, but has anybody gotten an X as a replacement?

13. snapcase

snapcase Well-Known Member

The Catch, is that you get a phone that's crapped up with Moto Blur and an encrypted boot loader. If you ever wanted to do a custom ROM, you're gonna be SOL on the Droid 2.

Out of curiosity, did the proximity sensor totally die? Or do you have long hair? Holding the phone against your ear, but over your hair will cause the sensor to trip up.

14. nader2013

Actually...First DROID 2 Custom ROM Released | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog And doesn't installing Launcher Pro get rid of most of that?

15. ohmrsh

ohmrsh Member

my replacement (ordered on 9/2) was a D1 but the touchscreen didn't work. Took it to the store and the lady ordered another and said that it may be a D1 or a D2...haven't gotten any confirmation emails yet though.

ETA: coming from Ft. Worth, TX so may be a D1. Hope it works. The last one didn't.

16. yournamepenor

yournamepenor Well-Known Member

does any one know the shipping weight of the d2?

17. Mayhem724

Mayhem724 Member

I was told last week there were no more D1's to replace mine and I was getting a D2. It never came in 2 days like they said. I went to store and they said I would have it next day and it never came. I went back last Friday and they told me I would get it Saturday monring and it would be a brand new D2. I was like why cant you just give me one from the store then instead of all this crap. He said he could have done that if I would have asked (kinda stupid) but the order was already placed to ship it. Of course it never came on Saturday and it just arrived today and it was a D1. Not the D2 they said I would be getting.

18. BabyRN

BabyRN Well-Known Member

My new D2 was shipped in two separate 1lb boxes. They didn't give me the retail box, guess they didn't want me returning it for the X. Anyways, the phone came in one box and the battery and cover came in a separate box.

19. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Well-Known Member

Had a few dead pixels on my D1, and I am getting a refurb D1....
    Lucky you guys who are getting D2's :(

20. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

They shipped me out a D1 today to replace my Eris. The guy said they have plenty of D1's but are getting short on back covers.

21. jcernik

jcernik Active Member

Did your tracking number through Fed-Ex show 2 boxes? Or did it just say
    1.0 lbs/.5 kg ??

22. BabyRN

BabyRN Well-Known Member

I only got tracking for one box. When Fed-Ex showed up he had two :D And yes it said 1.0 lbs/0.5 kg

23. DTM

DTM Active Member

I saw the D2 at the store tonight and I wouldn't have it. I'm supposed to be getting a refurb tomorrow. If it's a D2 I'm sending it right back.

24. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Well-Known Member

I doubt it will be, but if it is, contact me. I know for sure I am
    getting a D1, and I would trade you if you want.