Droid Bionic alarm/speaker dockTips

Last Updated:

1. freedomfighter

freedomfighter Well-Known Member

I have an old ipod touch that i use to listen to music when i sleep. The ipod sits right on the dock and also the dock has an alarm clock built into it. Im trying to find one like this for the bionic. I see that standard dock and i like the look of it. However, it doesn't have speakers. Does anyone know of any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. freedomfighter

Anyone?
  3. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

I tried some external PC speakers with a transformer that plugs into a wall socket. I use these when I am using the projector with a PC to give a presentation.

Plugged into the headphone jack on my Bionic the sound is great.

I picked these up at Staples a whole back.

... Thom
  4. PowerBomb

PowerBomb Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen a dock with its own speakers and everything like what you describe with the Apple products. You could just get a cheap pair of speakers. I used to have a pair of small gray Sony PC speakers. They were so low-powered that they didn't even have a power supply or USB input. They were powered straight from the audio jack like a pair of headphones. Or get a pair of PC speakers that comes with an AC adapter for a wall outlet and not USB powered, that way you can plug them into the wall and plug the Bionic in as the input. Not as glamorous of a solution as a full-featured phone dock, but it would work.
  5. Paraflier

Paraflier Well-Known Member

That's what I ended up doing for a road trip once. Used my PC speakers and a power inverter plugged into to the cigarette lighter to power the speakers.

Looked like a complete cluster, but wow, did it sound good. :D
  6. zoxxo

zoxxo Well-Known Member

Most of the powered speaker docks for ipods, or stand-alone powered speakers have input jacks for external music sources. You could run a patch cord from the Bionic, or the Bionic dock, into the powered speakers and get the same result...
  7. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Well-Known Member

I feel your pain.

I ended up cobbling together a dock of sorts from a small powered speaker system and a Bracketron clamp-style mount that I attached to it.
    I piggybacked a USB power adapter onto the speaker's power to reduce the number of power plugs to one.

It's been pretty good so far. I use it at with my Droid Bionic at work where I stream Sirius and Pandora all day.

I know putting something like this together isn't for everyone, but it shows what lengths folks well go to to have something that works in a similar way to all these obscenely convenient iPod docks.
  8. freedomfighter

I just don't understand why its so hard to find one...maybe ill just buy some.alarm clock with an audio jack in it
  9. PowerBomb

PowerBomb Well-Known Member

Its not that its hard to find.... They never made a dock like that. Guess they figured the audio jack would let people use whatever speakers they wanted. Also now that i think of it they make little android themed speakers that you can find on ebay and other places. Some even work wirelessly with bluetooth. You have a lot of speakers to choose from and a few docks... Just no docks with speakers.