• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid bows down to the iPhone

So honestly you gave up your iPhone because you moved to an area ATT didn't get great coverage and Verizon was the only other alternative?

Sounds like you had no choice.

BTW: I'm giving you a hard time. Welcome to the club.

Thanks! :)

As weird as it may sound, YES!!!!! LOL

Verizon is the only carrier in this area with 3G service. I am with you, I didn't believe it until I called around and was told by OTHER carriers that if I wanted 3G, Verizon was my only choice. Before jumping ship I even called AT&T to see if they had any plans to bring 3G service to the area and they were honestly enough to say NO!

Upvote 0
It's pointless to argue which is better because it's in the eye of the beholder.

Totally agree! I find it interesting AND sad that when talking about cell phones, if you prefer one that means you hate the others! For instance, I prefer the Droid over the iPhone but that does not mean I think the iPhone sucks. Quite the opposite actually because it is a great device but back to your statement, "I" (i.e. the beholder) prefer the Droid.

I don't get caught up in people's likes or dislikes of a particular piece of technology. At the end of the day, my opinion is the only opinion that matters.

Upvote 0
not true lots would go droid for one reason..........KEYBOARD.

besides that fact i love browsing 1 web page, load something, switch to another page and browse while the other page is loading and them swap back. can't do tha ton the iphone :)

plus when android gets flash iphone users that have been waiting 3+ years for it will really see where the future of mobile web is at and it won't be iphone.

Not got Flash? Should have got the HTC Hero lol

Upvote 0
I have none of the problems you are describing, maybe user error. Or maybe lay off the marketplace a bit.

I also have none of these problems and have over 170 apps installed.

also to the poster 2 or 3 up - i agree. i've got a droid, and love it, but i also enjoy my friend's iphones. i see no reason to hate on either. they've both got their pluses and minuses.

Upvote 0
I have none of the problems you are describing, maybe user error. Or maybe lay off the marketplace a bit.

What???? None of them? Most of the ones I listed are the way it is... SO

You have lockscreen music control? You have full screen or caller ID contact photo that is sharp and larger than a small postage stamp? Your camera app is not sluggish? You have swiping on your photos? You have good decently lit room videos?

You're one of those guys that says hey you can download lockscreen 2.0 to get music control or astro browser to swipe pics when in actuality those apps dont replace half of what should already have been there in the first place.

Upvote 0
What???? None of them? Most of the ones I listed are the way it is... SO

You have lockscreen music control? You have full screen or caller ID contact photo that is sharp and larger than a small postage stamp? Your camera app is not sluggish? You have swiping on your photos? You have good decently lit room videos?

You're one of those guys that says hey you can download lockscreen 2.0 to get music control or astro browser to swipe pics when in actuality those apps dont replace half of what should already have been there in the first place.

To be fair, the iPhone didn't have a bunch of stuff that it should have had in the first place. STILL doesn't have a camera flash. Didn't have MMS for years. Camera performance was garbage for a long time. Didn't have copy and paste.

At least with the Droid, we're free to add on the features we want. Not be locked in to what Apple thinks we want.

Upvote 0
To be fair, the iPhone didn't have a bunch of stuff that it should have had in the first place. STILL doesn't have a camera flash. Didn't have MMS for years. Camera performance was garbage for a long time. Didn't have copy and paste.

At least with the Droid, we're free to add on the features we want. Not be locked in to what Apple thinks we want.

My point exactly. Why are you comparing the Droid's shortcomings to an iphone 3 gens ago. The ads position the Droid against the current Iphone. The flash is great for using as a flashlight but doesnt do much for the pics.

OMG I forgot C&P. Android's cut and paste is TERRIBLE. Even Winmo destroys Android in C&P. Apple's new C&P is genius.

What features are you adding to the droid that you cant add on the Iphone?

Upvote 0
My point exactly. Why are you comparing the Droid's shortcomings to an iphone 3 gens ago. The ads position the Droid against the current Iphone. The flash is great for using as a flashlight but doesnt do much for the pics.

OMG I forgot C&P. Android's cut and paste is TERRIBLE. Even Winmo destroys Android in C&P. Apple's new C&P is genius.

What features are you adding to the droid that you cant add on the Iphone?

hmm let's see, maybe because the droid is a first gen device? you don't think any features can be added to the droid that can't be added to the iphone? how about replacing the home screen? can you do that on an iphone. yeah..... thought not. to even be compared to an iphone after only being out for a month is a great compliment. obviously apple fanboys like yourself are pretty shook up over this phone.

Upvote 0
Different keyboards, different home screens, widgets, drag and drop MP3 ringtones, Google Voice, alternate SMS messengers, folders on the home screen, etc. I could go on.

You cite many of the reasons outside of AT&T why I never considered the Iphone although i would have to say the ones you have cited beside homescreen customization are not that valid. All keyboards available at the moment for Droid stink even shape. If touchpal ever gets their android act together then that may be a contender. Iphone's SMS app cant get much better, but I do love hancent's use of the voice to text engine and hope to see more of that implementation.

Upvote 0
You cite many of the reasons outside of AT&T why I never considered the Iphone although i would have to say the ones you have cited beside homescreen customization are not that valid. All keyboards available at the moment for Droid stink even shape. If touchpal ever gets their android act together then that may be a contender. Iphone's SMS app cant get much better, but I do love hancent's use of the voice to text engine and hope to see more of that implementation.

Well, if you can't return with facts, then just call the others "invalid". What's invalid to you is valid to me.

Point is, you're locked into what Apple thinks you want. With the Android OS, we're free to customize our phones the way we want. Some people will want the former, some the latter. Whatever works for you.

Outta here.

Upvote 0
hmm let's see, maybe because the droid is a first gen device? you don't think any features can be added to the droid that can't be added to the iphone? how about replacing the home screen? can you do that on an iphone. yeah..... thought not. to even be compared to an iphone after only being out for a month is a great compliment. obviously apple fanboys like yourself are pretty shook up over this phone.

Droid is not first gen. Android OS id older than Iphone OS. Apple is in the 3rd gen of the first handset they ever made. Moto has made many hundreds of handsets. You are making weak excuses for a handset maker's lack of competency.

Being a video production guy who edits on PC software only and not FCP and who has never owned an Iphone I can hardly be called a Apple fanboy. Although my industry is riddled with prob 90% Apple fanboys.

I can admit growing frustration in seeing them have a lot of nice, well made, feature filled hardware and software as I struggled with the crappy mogul, Touch pro and now Android devices that still fall considerably short. The touch pro really drove me mad and coming to Android devices from those winmo hackjobs is like a dream in comparison but as i have stated in fact there are too many things that fall short of the expectations that VZ marketing has placed upon the Droid.

Upvote 0
Well, if you can't return with facts, then just call the others "invalid". What's invalid to you is valid to me.

Point is, you're locked into what Apple thinks you want. With the Android OS, we're free to customize our phones the way we want. Some people will want the former, some the latter. Whatever works for you.

Outta here.

Jesus, Cant return with facts???? I said the Keyboard sucks, no multitouch on the keyboard, poor prediction and options of entry, certainly falls short. The SMS cant get much better. Do you not comprehend?

I see guys saying well we can get this and that done once the Droid is rooted. I thought it was all open source..... Sounds the same as Jailbreaking to me? Once you Jailbreak then the Iphone is pretty open and customizable. Where am I or have I not brought facts.

The only facts I see from you guys are "it'll be fixed in the upcoming update, rumored to be XXX" "You can fix that with an app you can download" which doesnt work. Even go back to launch of android where guys are complaining about lack of video and audio players and the responses that said" hey with all the open source developers out there, there will be so many players out there within weeks" Guess what? a year later? Nothing but crap players.

I see coreplayer, who in the winmo space created a player that can play almost anything, esp divx files and they say they dropped android support because the SDK locks down GPU access for some "security reason"... I thought it was all going to be open source...

Upvote 0
iPhone owns droid. Guess the droid needs a couple of generations out before it comes even close to the performance of the iPhone. Sure the apps and the camera are good selling points, but overall performance is still trumphed by the iPhone. Hands down.

The troll seems to have a short memory. Perhaps this will help.

iPhone3GS>iPhone3G>iPhone.

That's right, when the first iPhone came out it was not 3G capable, and it was an awful phone attached to an awful computer that happened to be a really great media player. It took two years and two iterations before the iPhone actually met its potential as a smartphone, and the 3G highlighted the deficiency in ATT's network. From my fanboy-esque research it appears Droid has the opposite problem. It's a killer piece of hardware with software problems.

I usually leave the flame wars alone, but I've been nurturing this rant for about a month, and this seemed to be the perfect thread to pollute the internet with my verbal dysentery.
/RANT

Upvote 0
@Bruceoand other Apple fanbois -

How many iphones have your owned, I have owned the iphone, iphone 3g, and currently own the iphone 3gs. I have owned over 35, yes 35 smartphones since 2002. (this has pissed my wife off). Sometimes I wonder if any of you fanbois have owned any phone other than the phone you have currently.

Personally I am currently running an Iphone 3Gs, Droid (moto), and a Storm 2.

Out of the three phones the Droid is my favorite because of how much I can customize my homescreen experience. My homescreen has 7 screens with so much on them you would be amazed.

I like the iphone but to me it is more of a toy, to me, it plays music great and has lots of stupid ass apps (farting sounds). But I quite gaming on my phone so its not really the best for me. The last part is that the phone function of the iphone blows, I am sitting in my house, if I call my iphone from my droid or storm2 it does not ring. I don't care if its AT&T or the iphone but the first job of any of my phones is to be a phone. So for me, the iphone is a toy, a pspgo in a different shape.

To everyone:

The real problem of these (my d*&k is longer than yours threads) is that everyone wants their phone to be the best.

Stop it, they are both great devices and if I had to get AT&T I would chose the iphone and on Verizon I would chose the Droid over the iphone.

Upvote 0
He felt the need to come here, register and post this? Sad.

I actually came from an iPhone. I have a 3G (not 3Gs) and while it's a good device, it's too constrained for me. I like to customize (a little, not a ton) and had the phone jailbroken for a while, but it made the already sluggish device even more sluggish.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great device, and it was a great move for Apple. But having experienced both, I'd say which one 'wins' or which one is 'better' is entirely up to the user.

I had a brief stint with the 3gs and ATT. Paid my cancel and went back to Verizon.

Iphone itself is a great phone. But with ATT 3G, it was a joke. I could get a signal in city in Columbus, but as soon as I left the county no 3G until the middle of Cincinnati. Sad.

I do like iPhone apps that I hope Android gets, such as MLB, DirecTV, Chase.... but I doubt it happens, but oh well.

Upvote 0
I do like iPhone apps that I hope Android gets, such as MLB, DirecTV, Chase.... but I doubt it happens, but oh well.

If you mean Chase Bank. I just bookmarked the mobile website and set a shortcut to my homescreen.

And just to chime in on topic. I've tested Iphone 3gs vs. Droid and I enjoy the droid much more. We just need better graphics on apps. I'm sick of playing games that look like they belong on an atari (see any tower defense game)

Upvote 0
youre kidding right...? among the multitude of things.. just opn the photo gallery. Lagging thumnails click arrow twice to move to next pic.

Have someone call you. Mini, blurry contact photo. no smart dial

Open the mediaplayer, ancient, not even a lockscreen control no 2x 4x speed for podcasts.

Camera app is sluggish and ugly. No video editing and jerky out of sync audio.

Jeez man I could go on for an hour or more...

THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT!! {Lagging thumnails click arrow twice to move to next pic.}(IMAGINE MULTI-TOUCH)

THERE'S AN APP FOR THIS!! {Have someone call you. Mini, blurry contact photo. no smart dial }(SPEED DIAL)

Jeez man I could go on for an hour or more...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones