Droid broke....got a droid x for free as replacement!

Last Updated:

1. dmobile5

dmobile5 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey not sure if you read my other thread well my power button on my droid broke, so I take it to Verizon today, and I have no insurance on my Droid, but its under manufacturer warranty. The rep says they are ALL out of Droids, (refurbs, news) in every single warehouse, and it may not be restocked for weeks. So I start to get pissed, because now I will HAVE a BROKEN DROID for a MONTH and maybe more. So then I ask, can I get a Droid 2? He says let me check....no. I then ask is there anything I can get? He checks and says yes : a new Droid Incredible, the INC is good yes, but I said anything else? After 5 more min of checking he says: Droid X you can get, and I said yes (so it is brand new and for free). I will really miss my Droid and the community, but this is good news for others, if your droid breaks you will be able to get an X or INC too.....

Advertisement
  2. Apeman

Apeman Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for you.... while you may be getting a larger screen, you will be stuck with MOTOCrap and a locked down phone. The Incredible can be rooted and run custom ROMs.
    If my Droid were to crap out on me, and they were to offer me a new Moto phone, I would demand a new Droid or to let me buy a droid from somewhere else and not have to pay the ETF. Thankfully, my Droid has been running strong since November.

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  3. dmobile5

thats is a drawback, but then they would say then just wait a month for a new droid. I don't like some of the blur features but I could always use launcherpro and it blur is gone, the rooting part is a bit dicey but since the Milestone got rooted, and since alot of developers have now switched to the Droid x, I think they will be able to crack it, especially with Clockwork Recovery getting on the Droid X.

4. stmartin84

stmartin84 Well-Known Member

understanding Apeman's comment about rooting everyone has their own opinion about rooting. If you're not interested in rooting you came out ahead in my opinion. If they were to offer me a newer phone I would take it. Personally, I make sure mine "break" about every year or so and get a new one while under the mfg. warranty.

5. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

@ Apeman, they have been able to get a recovery installed, which means custom roms will be coming (for the X). Kernels on the other hand, that can not happen until the bootloader is unlocked...

6. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Congrats on the new X! If my Droid were to break, I'd probably go with the X to. But I was told they were on backorder for like 3 weeks.

7. GideonX

GideonX Guest

Guess the D1 shortage is getting worse and worse. Congrats on the lucky* score.

8. Apeman

Apeman Well-Known Member

1 store in a 200 mile radius.... Best Buy.... they have 12 in stock.
    This is the greater Boston area for crying out loud... Tech Central.

9. Rons

Rons Well-Known Member

My screen would not turn on anymore ( after a Deadly Drop ).
    I went to VZ store. They told me they are shipping me a new D1 one from the Manufacture.
    He said new.. I said brand new??. he said yes.... but I don't know.
    2 day shipping I should get it tuesday.
    I am happy cause I love all that Rom, rooting , theming , etc....

That little engine that could in the D1..

10. dmobile5

I live in NY area, so its interesting to see that he said NOT a SINGLE warehouse had it...interesting. Oh well, I wish I could keep my D1 (for rom purposes) but I have to sent it back. Thanks for all the help in the D1 community, I hope the X community is just as good

11. Pfilly

Pfilly Well-Known Member

My Droid died today for no good reason. Left Google Listen running last night and now it won't charge. Charging light stays on...and on...and on but won't boot. I did a few battery pulls but nada. I hope I get the same luck you guys had.

12. dmobile5

Yeah, the most interesting part is he said NOT ONE ENTIRE WAREHOUSE IN AMERICA for Verizon had a refurb Droid, they are completely out of stock of everything, and it'll be interesting to see if others get their choice beetween DINC or DX, I wish d2 would be an option but for some reason its not

13. jolenemae21

jolenemae21 Well-Known Member

I had to get a replacement today... I called the vzw store to make sure they had some... they said that they were all out at the store and warehouse... i got in took FOREVER to get to my turn... with no questions they ordered me a replacement Droid1... should be here Thursday

14. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

being without a phone is unacceptible..good thing you stood your ground and they served you u a free psuedo upgrade.

15. dmobile5

I really think thats the reason I got a the option for an X, under manufacturer warranty they have to supply me with a phone, techinically I could have argued like a previous poster stated, as they really are "supposed" to give me the same phone, but there was no way I was going to wait a month without a phone, and the X was a better option than the Inc. I am just curious to see if anyone is in the same boat as me, but so far 2 people have called and both said they have Droid 1 ready to be replaced, which makes me curious considering my rep said there were no more Droid 1's in any warehouses.

16. JAGI410

JAGI410 Member

I got a warranty Droid on Friday, my local VZW shop said there were plenty. Of course it was shipped to me, they didn't have any in the store. The replacement Droid had the flat keyboard but otherwise looked brand new.

17. Damademan3

Damademan3 Well-Known Member

I as well got a replacemt on Friday.

18. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

What do you do to your phone to "break" it..

19. Andy in NY

Andy in NY Well-Known Member

i just went though a bunch of crap with my phone this week. battery all the sudden only lasting 3-4 hours. they said to take it to a store. store says they cant replace it because they dont have any, neither did any store within a 500 mile radious according to the manager. customer service tech support said they same thing but they could ship me one.

20. adostrom

adostrom Well-Known Member

I'm not sure discussing criminal behavior on an open forum is a good idea...

21. Amrov

Amrov Well-Known Member

My husband got a replacement Droid (looks new) on Friday -- got his through CellProtect (insurance replacement). [BTW, CellProtect was great to us -- no fuss, no bother, prompt service and new phone. This is not spam, but I feel I should give credit where it's due.] My husband also got a warranty replacement Droid (said refurb, but looked brand new) last week (yeah, string of bad luck). Point is, they seem to be out there. I myself am waiting on a warranty replacement later this week. I was given no indication that I wouldn't get an original Droid.

22. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

For me, even a "free" upgrade as a replacement for a defective phone would be anything but free. I'd have about $200 in accessory replacement costs: belt clip/holster, three car docks, two desk docks.

23. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

it is best not to scam. all it does is make it harder (driving up the backorder) for those that are ready for a legitimate upgrade or buying their new contract and want a droid x. as much as i would like an X i will not scam and make it harder for others to get their phone.

24. Cail

Cail New Member

With all due respect Tom, this post isn't really discussing a "scam" to get a free Droid X upgrade. It is however, letting everyone know that if their droid breaks they may end up getting a Droid X. The OP obviously finds this great, I would find it horrible. If we were to talk about a scam, that would be Verizon trying to force people to wait for a month or more to get a warranty replacement. Keep in mind, most of the people that are waiting to get their Droid X still have a phone as they know they don't have their new phone. People with a phone that breaks unexpectedly are now out their cell phone. In my case, this qualifies as an emergency since I use my phone for work email and, in addition, it is my only phone and would leave me with no way to call 911 in case of an emergency. To me, if they don't have any Droids to do warranty replacements they must offer a phone with similar functionality even if it is only a loaner.

Now, granted, some people MAY use this information to try to scam Verizon which is bad but I really didn't see that being mentioned in this thread. Maybe I missed something though.

25. neggie

neggie Well-Known Member

funny i called on sunday and they sent me a droid 1 today. They said they had plenty of refurbs and new droids in stock. but contratz!! you'll love the X i have one the droid is my wifes :)